Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-06-2003, 01:37 PM   #21
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
C'mon Ruinel... in all fairness, don't you think that even the premise of that thread, and the very TITLE, were inflammatory? That wasn't about discussion, it was picking a fight.

Things need to be worded much more differently than that to be considered civil discussion.
Some of the other threads I find offensive... to consider Jackson a "genius"... oh, come on!!! Why is it that the opposing opinion is the only thread that get's closed? Perhaps this forum should be split then... one separate forum for "LotR Movie LOVERS" and one for "LotR Movie HATERS" then we can express our opinions and presuppositions and not be chastised for doing so. After all, I thought a message board was to do just that: express your opinions. Otherwise, what's the point of asking a question or asking for feedback.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #22
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I will put off closing this thread and see if it returns to topic discussion.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #23
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

It's the difference between a 'compliment' and an 'insult'... one is considered appropriate to a civil discussion, the other is not.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:22 PM   #24
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
If you're talking about
Frodo sending Sam away
I assure you it does happen. And from what I've heard, it's not a good scene at all.
I am afraid I will have to believe you. I heard rumours about FotR and TTT that turned out to be true. I didn't really mind, because they were still good movies.

I'll still go see RotK one time though. Then I'll console myself by reading all the books again. I was going to do that over Christmas break anyway.

This is bad guys. I thought the dwarf tossing jokes were bad but this takes the cake! (Hey, I wanted that!)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:23 PM   #25
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
C'mon Ruinel... in all fairness, don't you think that even the premise of that thread, and the very TITLE, were inflammatory? That wasn't about discussion, it was picking a fight.

Things need to be worded much more differently than that to be considered civil discussion.
I disagree. Everyone had asked me to back up my reasons for calling Jackson a hack - that was where I was going to post on ALL my reasons for it. If you or others thought it was imflamitory - then please - in my post tell me where it was. Instead of saying Jackson is a hack - I will henceforth be saying he is a terrible director. Samething - just different wording. I do NOT think jackson is a good directory - I do NOT think that Jackson successfully brought LotR to the screen.

SG- I did not see your comment about getting on topic. I will add something here to make sure it stays on topic.

I do think that the spoilers that I have read - if they are true is just more proof that Jackson butchered Lord of the Rings and lied to the fans. He could care less about the books, Tolkien or the fans unlike he claimed in the beginning where he said - "This film is being made by a fan for the fans of Lord of the Rings". He just wanted to write a cool fantasy movie. The only true fan who was an actor on the film was so upset with the final product - that he boycotted the premier. This is demonstrated by...

Sam leaving Frodo - never would have happened

and

Saruman being cut out. If it was any other movie - I would be expecting a sequel where Saruman rises up as the new evil. It completely drops a key plot line.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-06-2003 at 04:32 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #26
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
It's the difference between a 'compliment' and an 'insult'... one is considered appropriate to a civil discussion, the other is not.
What? Are you Thumper's mother or something?
If I say something derogatory toward Jackson, why do the Jackson supporters take it personally. I didn't say, "Valandil is an idiot", or anything. I suggest that you stop sinking your ego into this board, because it may get bruised. Sorry, I can't think of a nice way of putting that.

[edit]... yeah... oops... staying on topic. Errr... the spoilers... *thinking* ... well, I'd have to say one thing about them, they are consistent. Each time a movie is put out, it confirms my disappointment that Jackson ever attempted to bring these works to the big screen. It proves that he was not worthy of the job. You certainly wouldn't give the scalpel to a pre-med student to perform brain surgery, now would you? And you certainly wouldn't tell a high school math student to engineer the next space shuttle, now would you?

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-06-2003 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:11 PM   #27
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
The only true fan who was an actor on the film was so upset with the final product - that he boycotted the premier.
Who was that? Christophere Lee?

Good for him! IMO, mangling Frodo and Sam is worse than cutting out Saruman.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #28
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Who was that? Christophere Lee?

Good for him! IMO, mangling Frodo and Sam is worse than cutting out Saruman. [
I think it was Christopher Lee, who has read the story every year (or so he says).

Although I do not hold much hope that the spoilers are false, I still wish that they were. All the terrible news that has been given preceding the release of each movie has come to pass.

Sending Sam away is so far against the book character of Sam, it's like ending the film by bringing Michael Myers (Halloween), Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th), and Freddy Krueger (Nighmare on Elm Street) together to stand with Sauron's army of Orcs.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:00 PM   #29
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

This is a nightmare of epic proportions in the Lord of the Rings world. It's not going to ruin my life, but Tolkien-wise, I'm devastated.

BB, you haven't posted in a while. Are you worried that RotK is going to suck big-time? I know I am!

The battle of Pelannor Fields will be great and all that, but if they ruim, not just mess with, but ruin the centre of the canon - Frodo and Sam, then the movie will stink!

I console myself that I still have the books... I still have the books... They are untouched.
Quote:
Old 12-06-2003, 06:06 PM   #30
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
This is a nightmare of epic proportions in the Lord of the Rings world. It's not going to ruin my life, but Tolkien-wise, I'm devastated.
I'm with you on this one. As much as I bitch here, my life will remain unaffected.
Quote:
BB, you haven't posted in a while. Are you worried that RotK is going to suck big-time? I know I am!
Yes, he's been very, very quiet. One wonders if you could be right about that.
Quote:
I console myself that I still have the books... I still have the books... They are untouched.
Yes... ... yes... they remain pure... unspoiled... and untouched. My precious... untouched by the nassssty PJ.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:49 PM   #31
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I'm very much looking forward to the Return of the King. A couple of the spoilers have me wondering how PJ has handled some things but I'm excited.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 08:06 PM   #32
Ruinel
Banned

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-06-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:12 PM   #33
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I'm very much looking forward to the Return of the King. A couple of the spoilers have me wondering how PJ has handled some things but I'm excited.
I'm looking forward to it too, but I am concerned that Jackson is going to blow it. However, we can talk about that properly after we've both seen the movies.
Quote:
Old 12-11-2003, 12:53 AM   #34
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Quote:
console myself that I still have the books... I still have the books... They are untouched.
Sometimes I have nightmares that I'll open the books and find that they, too, have changed! Scary....

I am definitely not happy about all this. When I first saw FotR, I had a lot of complaints and my poor, young, weak mind could not comprehend why, WHY? no one else had a problem with it all! Ah...little did I know...there were some, like me, who stand for justice and truth!
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:13 PM   #35
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Re: Book deviations and film spoilers

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
....but this news has given me a queazy feeling in the pit of my stomach.
Hmmm... When I made a similar comment in another thread about the very same thing you said you didn't understand why. I guess everyone has limits.

The spoilers are a good vacination for my cynicism about changes. I'll still really enjoy seeing the story on screen with lots of cool special effects, sets, costumes, etc, but I'll still be disappointed that the story isn't good enough to those telling it to tell the way it was written. Some changes were good for the movie aspect. I liked the damn at Isengard already existing so the Ents could just destroy it. Not a better story, but more visually effective change. This business with Sam is just not good by any standard. Who could empathize with turning one's back on one's best friend at the time he is needed most? If the ring is so twisting him (I assume this is the MO) how could he then carry it trough Mordor? Even within the established "story as told by" is doesn't work.

I just hope that there is something that makes it work. There were a few spoilers that didn't pan out as bad as they were made to seem prior to the release, although most were pretty dead on. Won't be long now.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote