Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #21
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Well that's what I originally thought - but then it seems as if what people are saying - is that he might have cut this out.

I should have said...

"I'm really disappointed IF they have cut this out."
Yeah I've been wondering as well how they will do it if the Saruman scenes are cut. Is it certain that Saruman is cut?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #22
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Dunedain
Yeah I've been wondering as well how they will do it if the Saruman scenes are cut. Is it certain that Saruman is cut?
_________________________________________-

Yes. Without the Saruman/Gandalf confrontation how do they get the Palantir and Merry and Pippin with Gandalf? Do they just pop up unexplained?

Also, i thought the best reason for having Christopher lee as Saruman is for his doing the Voice of Saruman at Orthanc. That could have been really interesting.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #23
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ok I just read something interesting that will hopefully clear it up a bit

Quote:
From TheOneRing.net:

Most of the outcomes of the confrontation at Isengard are plot trivialities with no great plot implications - except the Palantir. We've seen images of Aragorn holding it, and the implication is that Pippin does use it at Meduseld. I'll be keen to see how effectively Walsh, Boyens and Jackson rework that.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #24
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

There is a pentition out trying to get the scenes put back in. It probably won't do any good, but here's a link.

http://www.christopherleeweb.com/
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)

Last edited by Melko Belcha : 11-20-2003 at 01:57 PM.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #25
Katherine
Sapling

Is it certain Lee's scenes were cut? ........ Yes .......
see here:

http://www.nbc10.com/entertainment/2642152/detail.html

Also I found this interesting

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2729778a11,00.html
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:02 PM   #26
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
There is a pentition out trying to get the scenes put back in. It probably won't do any good, but here's a link.

http://www.christopherleeweb.com/
I just signed it

--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 02:06 PM   #27
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Katherine
Is it certain Lee's scenes were cut? ........ Yes .......
see here:

http://www.nbc10.com/entertainment/2642152/detail.html

Also I found this interesting

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2729778a11,00.html
I signed and this was my statement...

Quote:
I think it's outrageous that the scenes were cut but I'm not at all surprised. Jackson is a hack who created dumbed down hollywoodized action movies. After what he did to Flight to the Ford and the creation of Xena-Elf aka Arwen - I don't understand why people are surprised. You can read how I feel about Jackson and his movies at http://www.entmoot.com as JerseyDevil.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:31 PM   #28
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
I signed and this was my statement...
Quote:
I think it's outrageous that the scenes were cut but I'm not at all surprised. Jackson is a hack who created dumbed down hollywoodized action movies. After what he did to Flight to the Ford and the creation of Xena-Elf aka Arwen - I don't understand why people are surprised. You can read how I feel about Jackson and his movies at http://www.entmoot.com as JerseyDevil.
Good for you JD. Hopefully someone may visit the sight and get a full range of opinions regarding LOTR and the Movies.

I doubt anything will result from signing the petition on the web, but you never know for certain.

I have heard that someone went to the trouble of cutting/pasting PJ's movies to make it closer to the book. I have know Idea how that went. (I do not have high hopes for that doing well. {not even thinking about the copyright issues})

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:40 PM   #29
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
Good for you JD. Hopefully someone may visit the sight and get a full range of opinions regarding LOTR and the Movies.
I felt it was important for people to see that not everyone loves the movies and that they should come to Entmoot if they want to hear other people's opinions.
Quote:

I doubt anything will result from signing the petition on the web, but you never know for certain.
i doubt it too - anyway - it's too late to get it into the theatrical version - the movie is being mass produced right now for the theaters - if it hasn't already.
Quote:

I have heard that someone went to the trouble of cutting/pasting PJ's movies to make it closer to the book. I have know Idea how that went. (I do not have high hopes for that doing well. {not even thinking about the copyright issues})
I wouldn't think it would be very good. First a lot my problems have to do with serious departures from the book. There is no amount of cutting and pasting that will fix the Fligth to the Ford scene or make Pippin and Merry not moronic idiots.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-20-2003, 02:40 PM   #30
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I think it is ridiculous to be signing petitions and creating an uproar about a movie that hasn't even been SEEN yet.

If you watch the movie and dislike it, THEN you can complain about this particular cut (even though we've already been told it will be in the EE). Until you see the movie, this is just another excuse to be negative here.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:41 PM   #31
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I think it is ridiculous to be signing petitions and creating an uproar about a movie that hasn't even been SEEN yet.

If you watch the movie and dislike it, THEN you can complain about this particular cut (even though we've already been told it will be in the EE). Until you see the movie, this is just another excuse to be negative here.
No it's not - not if they are REMOVING a scene. And we know they are. So it's not ridiculous. And if you do feel that way - then just don't sign it.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #32
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:

It is not ridiculous to complain when they are removing a MAJOR scene. The scene between Gandalf and Saruman is as important to me as the Ring being destroyed. The Voice of Saruman is a key moment in the book, and has much to do with the story. But I guess seven minutes is just to much time for PJ to give up any of his additions, which will probably take up no less then 30 minutes of the film. And don't act like there won't be additions, because there will be, and every minute wasted with additions are minutes that could be used for the Saruman scene.

And remember that not everybody watches the EE, is Saruman's part of the story just not going to be finished for those people? I know more people that have not seen, or care to see, the EE of FotR then have seen it. There are alot of people that the theater version of the films is all they know, so should these people not see what happens to Saruman just because they don't watch the EE?
Old 11-20-2003, 02:58 PM   #33
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Jerseydevil, I'm confused as to why you are so upset by the removal of the Saruman scene from the theatrical release.

You are on record as hating the film series soooooo...

Why do you care?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #34
jerseydevil

Quote:
Jerseydevil, I'm confused as to why you are so upset by the removal of the Saruman scene from the theatrical release.

You are on record as hating the film series soooooo...

Why do you care?
Becuase I WANTED the films to be good and this is just another example of Jackson screwing with stuff just to make the movies more action oriented. I'm sure the wars and battles will be great.

Also - as a tolkien fan - it is my RIGHT to complain about things I don't like. And I don't HATE the film series - I have given it a C as movies go. Of course an adaptation to Tolkien I give it an F.

Also - if Saruman doesn't appear in this movie. What the hell happens to him? Does he just disappear into nothing? It seems like Saruman is completely cut out of this movie with no explanation as to what happens to Saruman.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-20-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #35
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
It is not ridiculous to complain when they are removing a MAJOR scene.
It is certainly NOT a major scene. It's only significance to the film version of the story would be because of the appearance of the palantir. It is clear from all we've heard that the palantir is still in the film so waiting for the EE release of ROTK is not that big of deal.

When Jackson haters like jerseydevil are up in arms about it, you know this is simply just another excuse to bash the films and the filmmakers.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #36
jerseydevil

Quote:
When Jackson haters like jerseydevil are up in arms about it, you know this is simply just another excuse to bash the films and the filmmakers.
Oh - of course - because my opinions don't have any merit - unlike yours. What - [Flame Deleted]?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
How so? All our complaining here about Arwen appearing at Helms Deep meant that they rethought their approach, and found something more "real". I would have thought you'd have been all for that.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:21 PM   #38
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Quote:
It is clear from all we've heard that the palantir is still in the film so waiting for the EE release of ROTK is not that big of deal.
And what about all the people who will not see the EE? Do those people not matter? Don't assume that every one will watch the EE, because they won't.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:21 PM   #39
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
It is certainly NOT a major scene. It's only significance to the film version of the story would be because of the appearance of the palantir. It is clear from all we've heard that the palantir is still in the film so waiting for the EE release of ROTK is not that big of deal.
It is a major scene man, it's a very pivotal moment in the quest because it sets a lot of stuff up that happen later on...

--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 03:22 PM   #40
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
How so? All our complaining here about Arwen appearing at Helms Deep meant that they rethought their approach, and found something more "real". I would have thought you'd have been all for that.
We are talking here about whether the same seven minutes of film showing the end of Saruman are first shown in the theatrical release or the extended DVD version next fall. Period.