Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2003, 04:27 PM   #21
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Well that discussion took place before Helm's Deep, so if the Pellennor was on March 15th and they are only on their way to Helm's Deep then it is more than plausible that it is not March 1st yet...
Appendix SAYS... (even from memory, I had noted this once)

March 1 was when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli met Gandalf the White in Fanghorn Forest... so he was 88 at Helm's Deep. Maybe with everything going on, it just slipped Aragorn's mind that he had turned 88! Or maybe he thought his chances with Eowyn were better if he claimed he was "only" 87...

(ed: haven't seen it yet - and trying not to read too much here - so don't know if I have the context wrong here - and don't want to find out yet... until I get to watch it! )

Last edited by Valandil : 11-19-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #22
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

My favorite is when Merry and Pippin are smoking and laughing really loud, then Treabeard stoops over to listen like an oblivious parent.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:27 PM   #23
Silpion
Elven Warrior

originally posted by Dúnedain
Quote:
The third scene is "Sons of the Steward". It takes place after Gondor reclaims Osgiliath and Boromir and Faramir are celebrating their victory. You really get to see how much the brothers really loved one another and you also get to see how much they hate thier father, Denethor, as he is in the scene as well. It is mainly a flashback scene, because after they reclaimed Osgiliath Boromir goes off to Rivendell for the Council of Elrond...
I liked seeing the interaction between the two brothers. They know what their father thinks of each of them, but they don't let Denethor's opinions drive a wedge between their love for one another.
Silpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:29 AM   #24
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

The scene I most remember on the Extended Edition is the one where the huorns of Fangorn forest said to each other

We will not abandon the shirelings Merry and Pippin ...hurrrarrrumm... to torment and death. Not while we have strength and branches left...burrrraaarrrrrummm. Leave all twigs that can be spared behind...hurrrrarrrum. We travel light and with less leaves...hurrrrarrrummm. Let's hunt some Orclings.

...and did just that.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 11-20-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:45 PM   #25
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
The scene I most remember on the Extended Edition is the one where the huorns of Fangorn forest said to each other

We will not abandon the shirelings Merry and Pippin ...hurrrarrrumm... to torment and death. Not while we have strength and branches left...burrrraaarrrrrummm. Leave all twigs that can be spared behind...hurrrrarrrum. We travel light and with less leaves...hurrrrarrrummm. Let's hunt some Orclings.

...and did just that.

Hmmm, I didn't even pick up on that. What scene # is that?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:46 AM   #26
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

My favorite new scenes include:

The Heir of Numenor. I particulary liked the moment when Gandalf learned that Sam was with Frodo.

The Clittering Caves. The moment when Eowyn told Aragorn that the "they" loved him was very touching.

Dwarf Women. I also like the additional information that King Theoden shared with Aragorn about Eowyn's past.

The Gondor stuff with Faramir and Boromir was great and I particularly liked Sam's "you showed your quality" line to Faramir at the end of the movie.

All in all, some great new stuff.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:41 AM   #27
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

What kind of cave???

I liked most of the additions, especially more Fangorn, Gandalf's talk with Aragorn, more Eomer. The soup bit was kind of pointless but amusing. I'm not sure more Gollum is a good thing but spread over the hours, well... I finally laughed at one of the humor inserts in the Final Tally scene.

Disc three is pretty funny. First you see a doc about JRRT, he's great he's inovative, successful because of unconventional style, blah, blah, blah.. Then the book to screen bit is this long apologia about how they needed to avoid unconventional techniques, not enough action, Faramir couldn't be like he was written, etc.... Particularly amusing in these bits were:

Boyens saying they gave Gandalf's like about "a hutch to trammel..." to wormtongue, except it was Faramir's line.

The Council of Elorond was "too boring" as written except most of the prologue to FotR is from there.

In the JRRT doc C.S. lewis is described as an atheist.

Anyway, it seems like they were risk averse, which is understandable when one is spending $300 million of someone else's money.

Poor Bombadil lost his lines to Treebeard.

I still have a ways to go on the bonus discs. I need to check out the easter egg, too.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:41 AM   #28
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
What kind of cave???
The pink and squishy kind?

Quote:
Cirdan:
Wasn't he... at first? And then he converted?
Old 11-22-2003, 05:35 AM   #29
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:

Boyens saying they gave Gandalf's like about "a hutch to trammel..." to wormtongue, except it was Faramir's line.
In the ROTK, in the Houses of Healing, Gandalf says it.

Quote:

I think BoP's right. CSL was an athiest then was converted.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:46 AM   #30
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Hmmm, I didn't even pick up on that. What scene # is that?
Chapter 31 on disc 2; when the Huorns came a marchin' in. Heheh, next time, I'll try to tell you the punchline ahead of time.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 11-22-2003 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #31
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
What kind of cave???
Oops.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #32
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I really liked the scene with boromir & faramir and their father. It really kind of expands on Faramir and Boromir's relationship and situation, and provides a decent motivation for Faramir's change of character. It's one of the only?/few? instances of a troubled character because of difficult family situations/conflict.... in LOTR.

However, is there anything about ROTK on the TT:EE? I thought there was a preview of ROTK on the theatrical version... I just got the tt:ee today and I like it a lot. it kind of adds some personality to the film. But is everything from the theatrical version also on the extended one? A preview for ROTK? a trailer? Anything?

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 11-22-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:11 AM   #33
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
Chapter 31 on disc 2; when the Huorns came a marchin' in. Heheh, next time, I'll try to tell you the punchline ahead of time.
hmmm, I just watched that scene and it wasn't there
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-23-2003, 08:30 PM   #34
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I don't know....but maybe with the subtitiles on.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #35
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

i just watched it today... overall i would say i liked it slightly more than the theatrical release. "the sons of the steward" scene i thought was the best improvement. i appreciated seeing "flotsam and jetsam" and the ent draught scenes. and - who said it before? - poor gimli... maybe he'll be awarded some dignity in ROTK.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:39 AM   #36
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I don't know....but maybe with the subtitiles on.
Tried that

--Linaewen
Old 11-24-2003, 03:07 PM   #37
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I believe that Arathorn is taking a poke at Aragorn's little speech at the end of FotR by translating it into Entish.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:31 PM   #38
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

OMG I could keeeeeel him! lol I hate you Arathorn!! I'm glad you died after being Chieftain for only 2 years!!!

--Linaewen
Old 11-24-2003, 07:21 PM   #39
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Heehee, *points and laughs @ Dunny* (don't feel too bad, that bad ol' shoe's gotten all at some time or other.)
Old 11-25-2003, 06:09 AM   #40
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

And all along I thought you guys were just trying to be mean....

Not laughing at my jokes and pretending not to get it. Hmp....

But seriously (yes, i'm being serious now), I really liked that scene when the trees went to Helm's Deep. It sort of makes the presence of the elves there more bearable. After all, the trees really did play a major part in that chapter of the book.

It's JRRT's poke on MacBeth. heheh.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...