Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Have I told you lately... that you should read Morgoth's Ring nomatter what HoMe books you read or don't read?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:29 PM   #22
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I think I am gonna get that Map book
Keith K always gives good advice! (well, er, ok...mostly gives good advice)
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:36 AM   #23
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Have I told you lately... that you should read Morgoth's Ring nomatter what HoMe books you read or don't read?
I agree. Morgoth's Ring is awesome. Especially LACE.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:39 AM   #24
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I agree. Morgoth's Ring is awesome. Especially LACE.
Especially the Athrabeth.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #25
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

Well, I havent read through the BOLT 2 yet, but I'd say read BOLT 1, and head through the HOME first (or the books youve got again), just because its going good for me that way

Last edited by Beor : 11-14-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Beor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #26
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

BoLT 2! Will only say: The fall of Gondolin.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #27
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Question about one of the book's from HoME that was mentioned. "Morgoth's Ring", did I miss something here? Why is it called Morgoth's Ring? Is there another ring that was out there or are they somehow interluding that Sauron's Ring was in a technical sense Morgoth's Ring because Sauron was his Minion...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #28
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Maybe they're all gonna make us read the book...
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:26 PM   #29
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Morgoth's Ring is Arda. His evil was put into it at creation. I don't remember all the details, but it is explained in the book, but it comes down to is his Ring is Arda.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:27 PM   #30
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Question about one of the book's from HoME that was mentioned. "Morgoth's Ring", did I miss something here? Why is it called Morgoth's Ring? Is there another ring that was out there or are they somehow interluding that Sauron's Ring was in a technical sense Morgoth's Ring because Sauron was his Minion...
It refers (as far as I know) to the powers Morgoth put into the earth (a kind of "Morgoth-element", that marres all things), but can't remember exactly what the ring refers to, have to check the book.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:42 PM   #31
Keith K
Elf Lord

It is called his "ring" because he put the great part of his innate strength into it just as Sauron put his innate strength into the One Ring.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:56 PM   #32
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Yep, it says that "Arda is Morgoth's Ring."
Old 11-14-2003, 10:20 PM   #33
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

So now we don't gotta read it?
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:25 AM   #34
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

The most beloved parts of Morgoth's Ring is the Athrabeth, the Laws & Customs of the Eldar, and Myths transformed. That's why you have to read it.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:34 AM   #35
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

BTW, I started my HoME readings with the pieces I just mentioned, and then read The Shibboleth in HoME 12, and then HoME 3: The Lays of Beleriand, and continued to read the books in more or less arbitrary order, and just recently BolT 1 and 2. I regret it! I should have started with BoLT first, the old mythology. It is not only very beautifully written, but it is very interesting to see the development of the mythology.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:00 AM   #36
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I think you should reconsider your decission. Letters would be my advice. It's a book that not only gives you information about the works but also about the author and the meaning of the books.

Besides, it's easier to be read than the HOME series.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:52 AM   #37
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

THE BoLT is really good, it is really amazing to see such great work take form, adn I definitely recomend it (even though I am still plunging through it), as both a great book, and a learning experience, if you feel like writing something yourself one day.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:16 PM   #38
Elf Girl
Lurker

I would say, read HoME from first to last if you care how it was created. I, frankly, don't, and care only about ME as it was when he wrote LotR. So I read whatever interests me.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:27 PM   #39
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Another question.

Do any books in the HoME series discuss the other wars going on during the War of the Ring, such as those in Mirkwood and in the North with King Dain and King Brand?

I noticed that one of the HoME books is title The War of the Ring, but I am not sure if that stuff is included in it...

If this isn't included in any HoME series books, anyone know where it is recorded, besides the very little in the LotR Appendices...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:02 PM   #40
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Hmm, The War of the Ring and Sauron Defeated both touch on those matters, as does "The Hunt for the Ring" in Unfinished Tales. Nowhere do I remember a comprhensive account.