Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 06:53 PM   #21
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
There is a big difference between keeping a sworn promise that shows your true loyalty and friendship, than having another purpose for why you do something heroic.
Yes, true friendship has no need of oaths. You just do it because it's the right thing to do. I wonder if the thought of going alone to Angband and rescue Maedhros ever entered into the head of FF.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:01 PM   #22
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Yes, true friendship has no need of oaths. You just do it because it's the right thing to do. I wonder if the thought of going alone to Angband and rescue Maedhros ever entered into the head of FF.
Remember that Finrod was on the battlefield when he swore his oath to Barahir. Barahir saved his life and Finrod was greatful. What is wrong with that?

Fingon had plenty of time to consider his course of action.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2003, 05:01 AM   #23
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Fingon had no ties with the people that abadoned his people and led to the death of his sister-in-law in Argon his brothers, plus many others.

He rescued Maedhros for love, not any oath.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:47 AM   #24
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
I keep forgetting, why is FF so well liked?
Because I'm such an adorable little hobbit-lass!!

J/K ... I haven't forgotten Fingon at all. In fact, I like him better than Finrod, although Fingolfin is the best of all (see signature). Maedhros is one of my favorite Elves, and the story of Fingon saving Maedhros from Thangorodrim is so touching. Really love it.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 03-19-2003, 12:50 PM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera

He rescued Maedhros for love, not any oath.
Fingon, although valiant and brave, had another agenda for rescuing Maedhros. It was not just his love for him.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #26
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Fingon, although valiant and brave, had another agenda for rescuing Maedhros. It was not just his love for him.
Yes, the uniting of the Ñoldor. Which is in itself a noble goal. And he had no oath.
Quote:
I don't understand this need to constantly compare other characters to Finrod. They all had their good qualities. Meadhros, why do you dislike him so much? He was a good guy. Next thing you'll be telling me that Sauron and Morgoth were better than FF.
I think that it's cool. I want to end the myth that FF was the best elf char in the Sil. People might prefer him over other characters, but that is a personal opinion, I'm trying to prove that it is not because of his deeds.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #27
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I think that it's cool. I want to end the myth that FF was the best elf char in the Sil. People might prefer him over other characters, but that is a personal opinion, I'm trying to prove that it is not because of his deeds.
I don't think anyone has said that Finrod was the best Elf character in the Sil. He was a great Elf as were many. I think people love Finrod more for his kind and gentle nature. He was very noble and yet very down to earth. Not a snob. His deeds were great in their own right, just as the other princes. They all had a common goal together, and that was to fight the evil in the North and to protect their people.

Finrod is my favorite character, because of his nature. He is a character that stirs emotion in the reader. He makes you cry, because of his good nature, and yet all of his goodness did not save him from a life of lonliness or death. Yet he remained strong and endured to the end. Give him some credit, and a break. He is a great guy.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2003, 03:41 PM   #28
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Sister Golden Hair I must say that I completely agree with what you just said.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:47 PM   #29
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
Sister Golden Hair I must say that I completely agree with what you just said.
Thank you.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2003, 08:36 PM   #30
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I don't think anyone has said that Finrod was the best Elf character in the Sil. He was a great Elf as were many. I think people love Finrod more for his kind and gentle nature. He was very noble and yet very down to earth. Not a snob. His deeds were great in their own right, just as the other princes. They all had a common goal together, and that was to fight the evil in the North and to protect their people.

Finrod is my favorite character, because of his nature. He is a character that stirs emotion in the reader. He makes you cry, because of his good nature, and yet all of his goodness did not save him from a life of lonliness or death. Yet he remained strong and endured to the end. Give him some credit, and a break. He is a great guy.
Absolutely! However, I believe that I was the one who said Finrod was the best Elf character in The Sil. And I stand by that and am ready to defend that position. *draws Elven sword, places shield in front in defensive position*
Old 03-19-2003, 08:59 PM   #31
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Absolutely! However, I believe that I was the one who said Finrod was the best Elf character in The Sil. And I stand by that and am ready to defend that position. *draws Elven sword, places shield in front in defensive position*
Well, he is that to you and me. You can't expect most of the male readers to feel that way. They like their favorite characters for other reasons.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2003, 09:15 PM   #32
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Well, he is that to you and me. You can't expect most of the male readers to feel that way. They like their favorite characters for other reasons.
sigh, yeah, I suppose you are right. *puts sword away and relaxes* I wouldn't want to impose my views on anyone else.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:00 AM   #33
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Maedhros is English your 1st language or do you tend to just make speedy typing errors such as the following from your post?

Quote:
he had his brothers wife killed in that journey
That is pushing the grammatical standard of ambiguity between his brother's wife was killed on the journey and his ordering the death of his brother's wife.

I jest because I know own foible.

It seems that you perceive that there is some great juggernaut of Finrod support that is laying waste all that is in its path. Where do you base your feelings on this?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 03-20-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:20 AM   #34
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Maedhros is English your 1st language or do you tend to just make speedy typing errors such as the following from your post?
No one is perfect.
Quote:
It seems that you perceive that there is some great juggernaut of Finrod support that is laying waste all that is in its path.
I like annoying FF fans.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 03-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #35
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
I like annoying FF fans.
Really? I think you've succeded

At least you've managed to create some discussion in this forum
Old 03-20-2003, 03:01 PM   #36
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
At least you've managed to create some discussion in this forum
Yeah, well, that's what the Silmarillion chapter discussion was for. A forum can't thrive, if people don't post.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2003, 03:11 PM   #37
Artanis

Quote:
Yeah, well, that's what the Silmarillion chapter discussion was for.
Right, another one of ^^^'s good ideas. But right now it's been rather silent in the sticky thread up there.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:22 PM   #38
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Right, another one of ^^^'s good ideas. But right now it's been rather silent in the sticky thread up there.
I think that's because the chapter being discussed now is so short.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2003, 03:59 PM   #39
Artanis

Quote:
I think that's because the chapter being discussed now is so short.
Sure. *checks when the next chapter is due* - oh good, it's tomorrow! And then Fëanor enters the scene
Old 03-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #40
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Sure. *checks when the next chapter is due* - oh good, it's tomorrow! And then Fëanor enters the scene
Not sure about it getting posted then. The person that it is assigned to I haven't seen on the board for awhile. I hope they remember. If not, it will have to be re-assigned.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread