Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2003, 07:43 AM   #21
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

No, I was thinking of Celeborn. I know that Celebrimbor loved Galadriel, thats why he gave Nenya to her.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:02 AM   #22
Mortis
Hobbit

hmmm....
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:31 AM   #23
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
No, I was thinking of Celeborn. I know that Celebrimbor loved Galadriel, thats why he gave Nenya to her.
It doesn't say that anywhere. I rather think Galadriel was chosen to keep Nenya because of her reknown greatness and wisdom. She was one of few in Middle-Earth who had once lived in Valinor.

Perhaps you are thinking of the story where Celebrimbor gives the Elessar to Galadriel.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:14 PM   #24
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I thought he gave Nenya to Galadriel because he loved her, but I can be wrong. I'm not perfect so it is absolutely possible that I'm wrong this time.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:50 PM   #25
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying I don't think it is so. You are entitled to think otherwise. But you stated your view as it was 'the truth', so I'm pointing out that the books give us no certain answer.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:38 PM   #26
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Oh, sorry, than I wrote it the wrong way.
It is only what I understood from what is said in the books, so it's my Truth.
So you think Celebrimbor gave Elessar to Galadriel because of his love and not Nenya? Could be possible.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:17 PM   #27
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I've always assumed that Celebrimbor gave Nenya to Galadriel because he trusted her. After all, he'd just learned that Sauron had betrayed him. It was important that he give Nenya to someone whom he felt would be wise enough to bear it.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:36 AM   #28
Elf Girl
Lurker

What if the mother of the bride has gone West and the father of the bridegroom is dead?

Great quote Artanis.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 02-22-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #29
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
I've always assumed that Celebrimbor gave Nenya to Galadriel because he trusted her. After all, he'd just learned that Sauron had betrayed him. It was important that he give Nenya to someone whom he felt would be wise enough to bear it.
Okay, that could be possible. I always thought only of the possibility that he gave the ring to Galadriel because he loved her, but your opinions now seem much more realistic to me.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:11 PM   #30
Ruinel
Banned

'...said Galadriel,"...must then Middle-Earth fade and perish for ever?"
"That is its fate, I deem," said Celebrimbor. "But you know that I love you (though you turned to Celeborn of the Trees), and for that love I will do what I can, if haply by my art your grief can be lessened." ... Therefore he took thought, and began a long and delicate labour, and so for Galadriel he made the greatest of his works (save the Three Rings only). And it is said that more subtle and clear was the green gem that he made than that of Enerdhil, but yet its light had less power.... Radiant nonetheless was the Elessar of Celebrimbor; and he set it within a great brooch of silver in the likeness of an eagle rising upon outspread wings.'

Celeborn and Galadriel sometimes lived apart because of the evil that was growing. Or Celeborn was kickin some ass someplace. I couldn't find anyplace, nor do I remember, them disagreeing.
However, I know that Galadriel was not pleased that Celebrimbor, who she considered a friend, was having any dealings with Sauron.

Unifinished Tales.... peace folks.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #31
Ruinel
Banned

Oh, yes, and I forgot.

"Galadriel counceled him (Celebrimbor) that the Three Rings of the Elves should be hidden, never used, and dispersed, far from Eregion where Sauron believed them to be. It was at that time that she recieved Nenya, the White Ring, from Celebrimbor...."

Celebrimbor was in Lorinand to take counsel with Galadriel. He had found out about the One Ring and was very distressed, partly because he and the Gwaith-i-Mirdain had revolted against Celeborn and Galadriel in Eregion and drove her off through Kazad-dum to Lorinand (Lorien) with her 2 kids (or 1 depending on what book you are reading). Celeborn wouldn't go through Kazad-dum so he stayed in Eregion but Celebrimbor was indifferent to this.

So, Celebrimbor gave Nenya to her, true. But I think more because he trusted her, but the Elessar he gave her because he still loved her.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:49 AM   #32
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Okay, after all that I think I have to read the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales again.
And ... finally I got to read the passage where it is said that Celeborn actually left Middle-earth. I don't think that this was in the german edition.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:12 PM   #33
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Celebrimbor was in Lorinand to take counsel with Galadriel. He had found out about the One Ring and was very distressed, partly because he and the Gwaith-i-Mirdain had revolted against Celeborn and Galadriel in Eregion and drove her off through Kazad-dum to Lorinand (Lorien) with her 2 kids (or 1 depending on what book you are reading). Celeborn wouldn't go through Kazad-dum so he stayed in Eregion but Celebrimbor was indifferent to this.
Cool! Who is this other hypothetical kid, and which book is he/she in?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 04:09 PM   #34
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Cool! Who is this other hypothetical kid, and which book is he/she in?
At one time JRRT was experimenting about making Amroth to be Celeborn & Galadirel's son. but this a apparently abandoned in favor of a general policy of not changing facts that had already appeared in print, such as Amroth being the son of Oropher/Malgalad, as in the appedicies to LoTR.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 02-23-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #35
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
At one time JRRT was experimenting about making Amroth to be Celeborn & Galadirel's son. but this a apparently abandoned in favor of a general policy of not changing facts that had already appeared in print, such as Amroth being the son of Oropher/Malgalad, as in the appedicies to LoTR.
What Lefty said. I always wished Amroth had stayed Celeborn and Galadriel's son. It would have been nice for them to have had a child that decided to stay in M.E. with them.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:42 PM   #36
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's cool! Well, the Prince of dol Amroth does have some elven blood. Maybe he's distantly related to Galadriel? Nah, that's too much of a stretch.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:12 PM   #37
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Dol Amroth is named after Amroth who drowned near there.
The prince have elvish blood but not from Amroth line (He was Sindarian). One of the princes had espoused a Nandorian Silvan Elf of lothlorien, who had been a Lady Companion to Nimrodel, the lost fiancee of Amroth. For many centuries the Silvan Elves had maintained a haven near Dol Amroth. Nimrodel was lost in the White Mountains of the way to the port, and when Amroth's ship was driven out to sea in a storm, he leap off to swin to shore to search for her and drowned.

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 02-23-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:54 PM   #38
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Dol Amroth is named after Amroth who drowned near there.
The prince have elvish blood but not from Amroth line (He was Sindarian). One of the princes had espoused a Nandorian Silvan Elf of lothlorien, who had been a Lady Companion to Nimrodel, the lost fiancee of Amroth. For many centuries the Silvan Elves had maintained a haven near Dol Amroth. Nimrodel was lost in the White Mountains of the way to the port, and when Amroth's ship was driven out to sea in a storm, he leap off to swin to shore to search for her and drowned.
Yes, another sad story because the "Lady Companion to Nimrodel" marries a man, gives him 2 kids, then one night ....poof she disappears, never to be heard from again. Leaves him with 2 kids and a sink full of dishes. Poor guy.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:55 PM   #39
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Wasn't Oropher the father of Tranduil or am I completely wrong in this?
Old 02-24-2003, 04:49 PM   #40
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Wasn't Oropher the father of Tranduil or am I completely wrong in this?
Yes, Oropher is the father of Thranduil. He died in battle in the 1st war with Sauron over the Ring issue. Thraduil, however, survives with 1/3 of the people Oropher and Thranduil take into battle (Mirkwood elves suffured the most losses). So, yes, you are correct.