Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2003, 06:24 PM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

OH NO! Artanis is going to start quoting "Letters" now and Maedhros will have an even harder time telling us apart

Artanis, I started reading this thread from the bottom, working up, and was just reaching for my copy of "Letters" to quote the passage that you quoted when I saw .... you beat me to it! This is really getting scary

Well, I'll add this:
Quote:
from Letters of JRR Tolkien, letter #156
There is only one 'god': God, Eru Ilúvatar. There are the first creations, angelic beings, of which those most concerned in the Cosmogony reside (of love and choice) inside the World, as Valar or gods, or governors; and there are incarnate rational creatures, Elves and Men, of similar but different status and natures.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:47 PM   #22
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Here is Tolkien's own words, from Letter #131:Eru = God, the Creator
The Valar = Angelic powers, rulers of the world.
Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
Do you see what I mean?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #23
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
OH NO! Artanis is going to start quoting "Letters" now and Maedhros will have an even harder time telling us apart
It doesn't matter as long as it's you Rian You know, we could exchange avatars
Quote:
Artanis, I started reading this thread from the bottom, working up, and was just reaching for my copy of "Letters" to quote the passage that you quoted when I saw .... you beat me to it! This is really getting scary

Does anyone in LotR name Eru at all? They speak about the Valar, or the powers, but I can't remember anyone speak about the One.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:54 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I just got a GREAT idea for April fool's day ... mwahahahaha!

I'll PM you about it later, Artanis...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 02-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #25
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:

You guys can never out do the mods and admins here during April Fools. Be prepared. Mwahahaha!

Tater, where are you?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:27 PM   #26
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Quote:
There is only one 'god': God, Eru Ilúvatar. There are the first creations, angelic beings, of which those most concerned in the Cosmogony reside (of love and choice) inside the World, as Valar or gods, or governors; and there are incarnate rational creatures, Elves and Men, of similar but different status and natures.
I guess it's your pick: angelic powers OR gods

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:09 AM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

How about Demi-Gods?

Quote:

Switching avatars is the oldest trick in the book.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:15 AM   #28
Rían

I should have been clearer in my quote, AE - he goes on to say that 'gods' is more of a translation thing.

Old 02-07-2003, 01:20 AM   #29
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I should have been clearer in my quote, AE - he goes on to say that 'gods' is more of a translation thing.
Gothca

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:33 AM   #30
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

From the forward of The Silmarillion:
Quote:
In his later writing mythology and poetry sank down behind his theological and philosophical preoccupations : from which arose incompatibilities of tone.
I think that best explains the feelinmg that the Valar are modeled after pagan/polytheistic mythologies like those of the Greeks, Norse, etc. and yet behave more like angels (more looking for righteous responses from the children of Iluvatar). The earlier tales read more like mythology which makes sense. A young man newly absorbed in languages and cultures richly populated with myth. The older man becomes more concerned with his mortality and immortal soul. The letters are relevant to the time in which they were written (twenty-five years after the myths were initially concieved). The same letter uses the term 'angel' or 'angelic' in quoted format, meaing like an angel.

The same letter discusses the idea that the Elves "escaped from 'religion' in the pagan sense, into a pure monotheistic world..." through the direct relationship with Iluvatar. That escape must be from the world where only the Valar were known directly. He creates a world where pagan view exist so that the children of Iluvatar can be saved, in the Christian sense.

And from letter# 131
Quote:
In the cosmology there is a fall: a fall of Angels shall we say. Though quite different in form, of course, to that of the Christian myth. These tales are 'new', they are not directly derived from other myths and legends, but must inevitably contain a large measure of ancient wide-spread motives or elements.
Clearly the Valar contain, in many aspects, the characteristics of some pagan gods (manifestations of the forces of Nature, for instance), as well as more traditional aspects from the monotheistic tradition. They clearly are directly by the creator, though this is not much different in most pagan hierarchical structures. The greater difference is the role of the Valar, which is more 'angelic'.

I think the is more to Tolkien's interchangeable use of angel and god than language. Also so aspects of the nature of the myth changed ever so slightly over time, with some elimination of the pagan mythology in favor of more monotheistic themes. The early creation myth found in BoLT 1 contains some decriptions of Iluvatar that are not found in the Silmarillion which sound less like the montheistic god.

The use of pagan like characters as angels provides for more colorful characters like Ulmo. In the end they must perform like "angels" to fullfill Tolkien's "wholly catholic" works.

Angellic gods or godly angels?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:21 PM   #31
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I think that Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael are all considered archangels. Michael is the captian of the Host of Heaven. I think the Bible only names 3 those angels specifically. .
Uriel is also an Archangel.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:24 PM   #32
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Uriel is also an Archangel.
I always thought that Uriel was more of a Wiccan belief...does it mention him in the Bible?
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:56 AM   #33
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Angels; I don't like the thought of having more than one god and the one god is Iluvatar .... and as Tolkien was a Christ I think he also only believes in one god.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:02 PM   #34
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Cool, Tolkien was a Christ. I guess that's the point...

Haven't read the thread. Sorry.

Valar are "angels" that Men in their ignorance call "gods." Is this not so? I'm sure there's some nice succinct JRRT quote that says precisely this.

Toodle-oo!

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #35
Rían

I think Lalaith means "Christian", not "Christ". I imagine German, not English, is her first language, since she is from Austria. And Tolkien was certainly a Christian, as you can see in his letters published in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.

I really admire the people that post on an English-language message board when their first language isn't English. I sure wish I spoke a second language, but I'm a typical American.... I did take a couple of years of German in high school, and I had a great teacher that really worked on accents, and I was in Switzerland once and spoke some German and the shopkeeper thought I was a German because of my accent! She soon found out I wasn't, though, because I couldn't keep up with her when she answered me! That was the highlight of my foreign language experience, though, that a native German speaker (Swiss-German) thought I was German

Yes, Amandil, if you look back a bit in the thread you'll see some quotes.

Last edited by Rían : 02-12-2003 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #36
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Oh my god, surley I meant Christian and not Christ. I'm always confusing that. Sorry.
And, yeah, my first language is German and as I know that this language is difficult I really admire everybody who learns German and is able to speak it.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:08 PM   #37
Attalus

tThe Archangel Uriel.

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I always thought that Uriel was more of a Wiccan belief...does it mention him in the Bible?
He is mentioned in the Book of Enoch. Look here
Old 02-12-2003, 04:38 PM   #38
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Re: tThe Archangel Uriel.

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
He is mentioned in the Book of Enoch. Look here
I know this is OT but is the Book of Enoch included in the Bible? It sounds like an apocryphical book.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:36 PM   #39
Attalus

Yes, it is in the Apocrypha, see here
Old 02-12-2003, 08:24 PM   #40
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

...and the Catholic mythology is here
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote