Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2003, 10:54 PM   #21
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

To go to war: If I was called upon to serve, I would.

To kill: If something or someone could raise in a severe emotion (mainly anger) in the heat of the moment, I would kill. I am one to act before I think. I would, of course, regret it afterwards most likely.

I highly doubt I would be strong enough to kill anyone without a gun or other nasty weapon.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:59 PM   #22
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

For war: If I were drafted I'd go, but I don't think they'd want a surfy. I wouldn't willingly sign up, I haven't experienced to many things to put my life at risk.

Kill: As many have said to protect my family, although I'm sure my family could take care of itself. If someone ATE MY DOG, I'd congratulate them and ask them how they tasted, my dogs aren't worth going to prison for. If someone killed or abused the weeds and grommets I watch from here to there, I'd kill. My kids are great.

I'm actually laid-back, although you might not know it. Everything I have is insured *except my spelling* and I wouldn't kill over a trashed apartment.

I would kill over my boards though, if anyone vandalized them, I would hunt them down, and drown them slowly, feeling their heads jerk under the water and oncoming waves, I'd grab them by the roots of their hair, give them a tiny breath and force them back under, then *snaps out of it* I'm NOT crazy!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:34 PM   #23
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I don't think I could ever kill anyone for anything. I could seriously hurt someone if my family were in danger...but killing...no. I always think of Gandalf's quote about Gollum when I think about killing...you know, the "do not be to hasty to deal out death" one.
I hope a draft is never necessary, but if it is, and if I was drafted, I'd beg to get a secretarial/medical/anything but combat job. But then, I'm a girl. I'm not sure I even can be drafted. CAN girls be drafted????
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:35 PM   #24
Elven Warrior

Not in the USA

"Vires decusque."
Old 01-21-2003, 12:05 AM   #25
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

To kill: self-defense, imminent danger to my family, hijacking. I think that's about it. I'm generally a non-violent person, but I will stand up for myself. If someone killed and ate my dog, I'd probably just give them a good beating.

To war: probably the draft. It's not really something that I'd sign up for unless there was something I really believed in. But if I got drafted, I wouldn't fight it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:32 AM   #26
Millane
The Dude

killing: ummm i dunno in most cases a beating is sufficient. if it was to help other people live (not just my family) i would kill. if someone broke into my house well i would probly just pick up whatever was closest and give them a good thrashing i dont care if you get in trouble.

war: umm i dont think it would come to drafting in aust but if i got drafted well id go i would inlist if i really thought it was the only solution.maybe if my brother or dad went. there was some kid in WW1 who got his dad to sign him up so they went together and the kid died about 3 weeks into fighting he was only 13 or something, i always thought that that would have been the bravest thing to do for the kid and his dad.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:37 AM   #27
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Not much. Need, maybe.

If there ever comes a time when I find killing to be nescessary, I'll do it. Quickly and efficiently, of course, but without hesitation.

Or so I like to tell myself. ]: )

Last edited by Wayfarer : 01-21-2003 at 12:38 AM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:02 AM   #28
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I would kill someone if they were trying to hurt one of my family (which includes my beautiful dog!) or in self defense. Maybe even in a rage after they murdered one of my family (including my dog again). I would only go to war if I really really needed to because our country was being taken over.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:42 AM   #29
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Waiver on my medical conditions would have done it. I had an appointment to West Point, but then peace broke out, and the army got picky about medical conditions it might have waived..
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:55 AM   #30
Huan
Elven Warrior

I've noticed these posts about dogs popping up. I, perversely perhaps, actually kind of value canine life over the human; if anyone directly threatened my dog they'd be in for it. Anyone see that story about the American cop (I never caught which state it was) who shot and killed the dog of a family the cops had pulled over? And it was on police videotape! OOhhh, if that were my dog...Actually I was talking about that with a co-worker of similar mind who said, "If the cops shot my dog they'd have to shoot me too." Ditto.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:05 AM   #31
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

You can blame me for the dog stuff, I started it.
As for going to war, if I was drafted (which apparently I can't be) then I'd refuse to go. In order to make me fight in a war, they'd have to toss me in front of enemy lines with a gun. I'm generally a violent person, but shooting people full of holes is past my limits.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.

Last edited by Elenka : 01-30-2003 at 07:55 AM.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:18 AM   #32
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
I've noticed these posts about dogs popping up. I, perversely perhaps, actually kind of value canine life over the human
Perhaps?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 11:39 AM   #33
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I've noticed these posts about dogs popping up. I, perversely perhaps, actually kind of value canine life over the human; if anyone directly threatened my dog they'd be in for it. Anyone see that story about the American cop (I never caught which state it was) who shot and killed the dog of a family the cops had pulled over? And it was on police videotape! OOhhh, if that were my dog...Actually I was talking about that with a co-worker of similar mind who said, "If the cops shot my dog they'd have to shoot me too." Ditto.
i heard about that. Someone left their wallet on the top of the car so money was flying out. someone thought they were bank roobers cause of it and then they called the cops. the cops pulled 'em over and they were all outside of the car when their really little bull dog came out barking and wagging its tail. i guess it came toward the cop and he thought it was a fullgrown pit bull about to attack him so he shot it twice point blank! the family ws right there! anyhoo, i don't think i'd kill someone if they tried to or did kill my dog but i'd probably hurt him if i was there when he did it.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:34 PM   #34
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i would fight for all that is green and growing.
not physical fights all the time though... nothing would make me kill, unless it was to protect ME.

hey, maybe i could twist that around and go after PJ....
Old 01-21-2003, 02:41 PM   #35
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Not much. Need, maybe.

If there ever comes a time when I find killing to be nescessary, I'll do it. Quickly and efficiently, of course, but without hesitation.

Or so I like to tell myself. ]: )
What makes you so sure you could kill quickly and efficiently? I have the nagging suspicion it's not as easy as it looks in the movies...

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:29 PM   #36
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My last line was supposed to indicate that I was joking, halfwit. ]: )
Old 01-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #37
Elf Girl
Lurker

As for dodging the draft, I'll go visit Eärniel. For a loooooooong time.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #38
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I had a weird dream once. It was in October 2001, when America had started it's war in Afghanistan.
I dreamt that there was this guy (the villain from the movie Die Hard III, don't ask me why) gathered some young people, me included, and encouraged them to join him and go to war in Afghanistan. I and the youths drank his every word and thought "Yeah, let's fight the Taliban for honour and glory!" Then we boarded a cruiser that would take us there (strange, Afghanistan doesn't have a coast).

On that cruiser, I realised that this Die Hard villain was fooling us all and that there was no glory for us to find getting ourselves killed. Since we lacked experience of real combat, we would be used as cannon fodder.

Oh well, I guess my point is that I would not go to war, unless I had something worth fighting for. That could be freedom, independence or maybe to revenge my dog if someone ate him
(Just kidding, I don't have a dog)
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:28 PM   #39
Elven Warrior

I'd kill for my dog.

"Vires decusque."
Old 01-23-2003, 08:56 PM   #40
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Quote:
Originally posted by Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Not in the USA
Note: the feminists who want to be equal with men haven't ever brought up this interesting issue. And I think Congress is trying to change that, or at least did a few years back.

Quote:
if anyone directly threatened my dog they'd be in for it.
Really? He is a rather tastey sounding mongrel.

Quote:
halfwit
Ha, ha, ha!