Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2001, 02:17 AM   #21
Inoldonil

Re: The Silmarillion: The Movie

A Concise Listing of Tolkien Books sounds like what you're looking for.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:44 PM   #22
Lord Xanthyz

That sounds like it will help...
Thanks
Old 07-07-2001, 12:59 AM   #23
Xivigg

Problemes is folks that you can't take a book and make a film right out of it

someone will have to make a scenario out of it

then the director will change thing as he see fit

then the productor will change thing too

in the end it is very likely that you don't recognise the history as you read it in the book.
Old 07-07-2001, 07:40 PM   #24
Inoldonil

I don't know, as far away from the Lord of the Rings as Peter Jackson's movies appear to be, it's still recognizable, not only in name. If they called it something else we'd all still know what story it is.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:21 AM   #25
lindil

I have given a little thought to a silm movie over the past few weeks ironically enough. HoME definately provides soe material but to follow the proposed 13 part outlinewould require as Michael martinez once said' inspired forgery' of the highest order, and lots of it. We have only a few words of dialouge from each battle. An interesting idea and if the LotR movie is as big as Star Wars I bet the will seriously consider The Silm as well as a new 'The Hobbit'. But if the Quendi don't lose the pointy ears they might as well not bother.

HoME esp especially some of the Lost tales and Unfinished Tales material would df. help flesh out a Silm movie a nd there is a project underway to incorporate it into a new Silm, which might be of some interest to any pondering the movie outline /idea more seriously.
Old 07-12-2001, 03:56 AM   #26
easterlinge

Lays

I think the Story of Beren and Luthien would make fine musical or opera, like Wagner's Ring of the Nibelungen.

Has anyone written it? I know no one has played or performed it, but maybe it has been written?

If you're willing to mutilate the story a fair bit, you can do the Slimarillion Movie in a Trilogy:

1) Melkor's Escape (to make it more interesting than his being paroled)
Feanor's Revolt and the Oath
.......... ending in the Dagor Bragollach and the Death of Fingolfin. Make the Battle a far bigger disaster than it originally was. Maybe Fingolfin dies trying to save Maedhros :lol:

2) Story of Beren and Luthien.
It ends with the Feanorians demanding the Silmaril from Thingol. Shades of future trouble

3) The Union of Maedhros, Nirnaeth Arnoediad
Feanorians and Thingol exchange insults and blame for the Nirnaeth, resulting in the Sack of Doriath.
(the Silmarillion is mutilated further..... bear with me folks !!! )
Luthien and Beren (still alive) ride away, make it to Balar and sail off to Valinor, bringing the Valar and starting the war of Wrath on Morgoth.

There!!! How was it? :rollin: g
Old 07-12-2001, 07:58 PM   #27
Inoldonil

Re: Lays

frightening
Old 07-13-2001, 03:41 AM   #28
easterlinge

Reminds me of when someone played the complete works of Shakespeare in 60 minutes :lol:

But Beren and Luthien are very strong characters. The simplified movie would revolve around them, Daeron, King Finrod, one Silmaril, two Feanorian factions (Maedhros-Maglor vs Celegorm-Curufin-Caranthir), Fingolfin , and Thingol and Melian.

The Sil in its original form has too many characters to make a proper movie.

Even an epic series like Babylon 5 revolved around a dozen characters or so. You need some central characters around which the story could crystallize.

About the Beren-Luthien musical / opera..... does anyone know if it has been written?

Old 07-13-2001, 09:41 AM   #29
SauronDL

No, if a movie of The Silmarillion was to be made, you would have to including the Elves of Eregion and the forging of the Rings. It's a must! It can be confirmed that the chapter, 'Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age' is the most read by readers of the book, and the most common reason to read it at all.
Old 07-14-2001, 04:11 AM   #30
easterlinge

The Sil Movie would focus on the First Age, ending with the War of Wrath, long before Eregion and the Rings.

I suppose we could do a separate movie about the Rings of Power.....

make it an action movie with Elrond doing some cool moves....
Old 07-14-2001, 07:14 PM   #31
Lord Xanthyz

The Silmarillion covers too much of a time span though....Narn I Hin Hurin or the Lay of Luthien would be better fit (and could end up making more money) than a movie covering all of the Silmarillion
Old 07-14-2001, 08:38 PM   #32
Shanamir Duntak

The Sil would be better if they'd make a TV serie out of it.... like 15 different episodes, for as many tales told. But... then it couldn't have the same profesionalism and that much money involved...
Old 07-16-2001, 03:03 AM   #33
X Rogue

I know, and it's a shame, too. I'd like to see the Silmarillion made into something, but a mini series for tv might well be the only way to get enough time to tell the story. And you know what those usually turn into. Look at Dune 2000!
Old 07-16-2001, 06:26 AM   #34
Shanamir Duntak

Sad...
Old 07-16-2001, 04:39 PM   #35
webwizard333

Scifi might be up to making a mini-series, they do have a lot of experiance thanks to Dune and most of Stephen King's books.
Old 07-17-2001, 01:04 AM   #36
X Rogue

Yes, but which would you genuinely describe as good? Dune was a mess (again!) and I haven't seen the King ones so can't comment on those. Butchering Frank Herbert is bad enough, who wants them butchering the Silmarillion too?
Old 07-17-2001, 01:09 AM   #37
webwizard333

I liked their Dune mini series!
Old 07-17-2001, 03:33 AM   #38
Sister Golden Hair

I think you will find that any movie made from the books of Tolkien, and this includes the Peter Jackson films, is first and foremost made to make money and this means appealing to the general audience. The average person is who these movies are made for, not hard core Tolkien readers like us. And unfortunately with this method of movie making, especially with something as complex as Tolkien, it would mean eliminating characters that may to the director, and the average movie goer might be considered non-essential to the story. For instance, In the Jackson movie, Gildor Inglorion is left out, but if you've never read the books, why would you care? You won't miss him. But people like us will.The same I think would be true with the Silmarillion. I don't think that taking works like these and condensing them would ever do justice to this story. The Peter Jackson movie promises to be a movie that shall please most viewers, just not the ones that know the difference.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:53 PM   #39
Inoldonil

Still, I feel it's important to realize or remember that the Lord of the Rings has sold more copies world wide than any other book since The Bible, so it's not as though we're a small audience. The closer you get to the original story, then, the closer you'll get to the story's success, as long as you know how to make good movies.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:31 AM   #40
lindil

Gildor and the meeting in the shirewoods is cut!!!!
That is mighty disappointing. It is one of my favorite scenes.

I agree that the movie / miniseries etc. if ever made would be done to first and foremost make money.
and it is true but ironic that the producers PJ included don't care a fig what the readers of JRRT for decades think.
Better to leave the Silm alone than butcher it.

Imagine what would be done to luthien if Arwen Xenastar is any example.
How are you going to convey the light of Aman in melian's face?