Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2002, 11:59 AM   #21
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Eating disorders are VERY scary things. I've never had one, though I've been accused of it more than once, but I've done a ton of research on it for school projects.

You're right, it's more of a control thing than anything else, though it is possible that the media could have a role (though small) in it. I also have several online friends that are currently struggling with eating disorders, self injury and the like.

The only thing I could really say is that you just need to be there for her. Supposedly, saying 'you' based sentences like "You aren't fat!" aren't helpful at all. It should be more along the lines of "I'm worried about you" (but don't use that too often, they may feel guilty and just fall deeper into the disorder). You've probably already done this, but talk to a parent or a teacher, or some adult, about what's going on and see how you can help.

I think nearly every female in the US has some issues with weight. I am actually naturally somewhat 'waif' like, and have been told by several girls that they wish they had my figure. Even being slightly underweight, there are times when I've simply hated my body and I pull at my skin and sigh. I have to remind myself that most of it is flabby muscle because I haven't been running lately (darn off season).

I just want to add this in as a last thought: Simply because someone is skinny, don't think they're anorexic/bulimic. It can get very annoying, because people still make these comments to me. First they think I'm anorexic, then they see me eat and label me bulimic. It's very irritating.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:12 PM   #22
Sween
im quite stupid

uve caught me out on the saying 'your not fat' remark. i have also come out with the classic 'i love you the way you are' and 'you dont need to change for anyone'. Tact has never been my thing . Unforntally everyone seems to look to me to make things better as i am widely regarded amongst my female and male friends as been the most loyal and patient of friends.

been one of the few not to go to uni i am also the oldest of my friends in my small town.

i've tried say im worried about her but she does brush it off. In truth i am not too concerned with saskia as she is the stronger of the two people and allthough not eating much will come to her sences quicker. It is katie i worry for because shes doing it to please someone and shes quite susecptable to brust into tears all the time.

oh bloddy women do my head in
Old 09-22-2002, 12:22 PM   #23
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Its also a very sad truth that when she was fat no one looked at her twice but now she is slim she has all sorts of men after her.
I know what you're saying, I've been there too. Doesn't give your friend much motivation to start eating again, does it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
In truth i am not too concerned with saskia as she is the stronger of the two people and allthough not eating much will come to her sences quicker.
I think it is usually the stronger girls (or boys) who get really ill. They are by nature very determined and hard-working and are not easily put off. If your friend Saskia is like that I would be seriously worried.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:23 PM   #24
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I think it is usually the stronger girls (or boys) who get really ill. They are by nature very determined and hard-working and are not easily put off. If your friend Saskia is like that I would be seriously worried.
Ive never looked at it from that point of view. She is a determined little thing which is to her credit most of the time.Shes a vegetarian as well so i cannot woo her with my cooking (not met a woman yet who can resit my cooking). speaking of veggies how healthy is that for you? My mate chris is a veggie and hes forever falling asleep.

I dont know what to do. If anyone here has suffred from eating disorders or helped somone i would love advice.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:37 PM   #25
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Does anyone remember Heidi Guenther? She was a dancer at Boston Ballet a few years ago. The artistic director, Anne-Marie Holmes, told her that she was too fat and needed to lose some weight. Heidi Guenther became anorexic, and one day when she was on her way to Disneyland with her mother, she just slumped over. Her mother thought that it was a joke, but her heart had just stopped. She had died instantly. When she died, she was 22 years old, 5 foot 3, and weighed less than 93 pounds. This was in 1997.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 02:49 PM   #26
osszie
Elven Warrior

This is a grim subject, but certainly one that should be spoken about.

A friend of mine has a 15yr old son who is suffering from bulliemia

This is the link she first used to help gather information on his condition

http://www.edreferral.com/

the site also contains many links to other good sources of information
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:24 PM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Some women become vegetarian because they think it will help them lose weight faster. In actual fact, unless they are supplementing protein into their diet, they won't lose weight. I'm a vegetarian, and because of the fact that my diet can be very carb rich, I've actually put on a bit of weight.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:25 PM   #28
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I had two friends that were skinny, but ate more than me and I weighed more than them. So weight has something to do with metabolism and genes. I have actually decided to start a diet today. I am about 56kg now and I want to be about 46kg. I want to be slim for summer. *sigh* I just had a weekend of pigging out on lollies and chocolates.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:00 AM   #29
Artanis

I think people should focus more on being fit than being slim. In a health perspective it's way better to be relatively fat and fit than being thin and not trained at all, plus you get the opportunity to do all the fun things that require physical fitness and strength.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:04 AM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I have actually decided to start a diet today. I am about 56kg now and I want to be about 46kg. I want to be slim for summer. *sigh* I just had a weekend of pigging out on lollies and chocolates.
You are kidding, right? You're positively tiny and I hate you! Blast, I'd be happy if I could slim down to the late fifties, early sixties.....

Yeah, I'm trying to get into shape as well; but for personal happiness rather than trying to get into a bikini without scaring the general populace of Auckland. Still, I'm sure all those stomach crunches will start paying off eventually. *hopeful look*
Old 09-23-2002, 06:19 PM   #31
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I had two friends that were skinny, but ate more than me and I weighed more than them. So weight has something to do with metabolism and genes.
I agree with that. It's not really fair. I can eat practically everything I want, (I don't pig out 24/7 or anything, but I've never had to watch what I eat.) and not gain weight. Of course, I'm also very active. Or at least I used to be until I fractured my pelvis.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:19 PM   #32
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I think people should focus more on being fit than being slim. In a health perspective it's way better to be relatively fat and fit than being thin and not trained at all, plus you get the opportunity to do all the fun things that require physical fitness and strength.
Exactly, which is what I was referring to when I 'sigh' at my body. It's not because I'm not slim (I already am), but because I'm no longer fit, like I was last spring. Darn entmoot.

Weight has a LOT to do with genes, metabolism, and bone structure. I'm lucky enough to have a small bone structure (most bracelets slide off of my wrists, and even sandals that are my show size are too wide at the ankle straps), and a high metabolism, which both tie in with good genes.

A friend of mine, who is recently on a diet, commented the other day on her bone structure and weight. She's got a pretty average, curvy frame, and she told me not to worry about her losing to much weight, because if she got her weight down to what mine was, it'd "look gross".
Old 09-23-2002, 09:43 PM   #33
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
You are kidding, right? You're positively tiny and I hate you! Blast, I'd be happy if I could slim down to the late fifties, early sixties.....
Oh, well, I'm shorter than average; so I'm not skinny. *curses parents* I'm sticking to my diet so far.........
Old 09-24-2002, 05:52 PM   #34
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I think exercise is better than diets, and easier to stick to. My bloody exercise machine broke last night and real jogging hurts my knees, its too bad i'm too inept to fix it!I was running 5 K a day for about 3 days stright, i was very proud of myself...

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:58 PM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't think I've ever really dieted, per se. Denial just doesn't work with me for some reason. But I have an exercise program that I do every day. Well, I have set work outs about four to five times a week, and on the "off" days, I have just cardio for 20-30 mins. I used to hate exercise, but now I find it a good wind down at the end of the day. Besides which, exercising at the gym in my apartment block at 10pm ensures that no one else is using it AND it sends me to sleep .... voila! No more sleeping problems.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:01 PM   #36
Sween
im quite stupid

i could never diet i simply love food too much essecially when ive been drinking ive just polished off a 12 inch pizza on way home from pub
Old 10-15-2002, 09:43 PM   #37
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I'm going to ask this again, because my friends are persistent in their pestering, and it's starting to scare me:
How does one tell if one has an eating disorder?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:47 PM   #38
BeardofPants
the Shrike

If someone is weighing their food or excessively calorie counting is a good sign. Or if they have to go to the bathroom after their meals. Or if they spend a long time chewing their food and not actually eating a lot. If they're obsessed about their weight, and talking about their fat whatevers all the time, constantly asking your opinion on them, and so forth.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:51 PM   #39
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
I'm going to ask this again, because my friends are persistent in their pestering, and it's starting to scare me:
The simplest question to ask yourself is "do I enjoy eating?"

The second question is "do I enjoy eating too much?"

If the first answer is yes and the second answer is no....no problem
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:17 AM   #40
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
If someone love to cook huge meals and watch other people eat it, and not eating any of it themselves.