Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-15-2002, 10:20 PM   #21
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I love any trees that I can climb! Not to mention some that I can't
I used to spend a lot of time in the apple tree in my yard. Now it's sort of dying. . .
I like weeping willows and random pine trees that I can't identify...
I sat in a mulberry tree for a long time last night. It was really nice. And there's a cherry tree in Tanoliel's yard that we used to climb. . .I love that tree

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:36 AM   #22
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Maple trees. Apples nice but thorny. any one climbed a palm tree?

I love climbinb banyan trees too. We don't have any where we live, so I just climb them when I'm in Florida.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:48 AM   #23
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Well, there's a pine tree at a park in my town that I just love to climb,really a great tree. It's got some nice reachable limbs so you get up pretty easily, and once you're up you can climb to the very top. I like to spend time up there but its not in my neighborhood so I don't climb that one often.

Then tere is also a tree at my barn I like to climb. It is not really a climbing tree though. When you get up, you can sit in a spot where to branches meet, but you can't get up any higher than that. Its still very peaceful though

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:52 AM   #24
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Elenka
Well, there's a pine tree at a park in my town that I just love to climb,really a great tree. It's got some nice reachable limbs so you get up pretty easily, and once you're up you can climb to the very top. I like to spend time up there but its not in my neighborhood so I don't climb that one often.
What she said.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:52 AM   #25
Elenka

Just a question, does anyone but me name trees?

Old 08-23-2002, 09:54 AM   #26
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I love any trees that I can climb! Not to mention some that I can't
I used to spend a lot of time in the apple tree in my yard. Now it's sort of dying. . .
I like weeping willows and random pine trees that I can't identify...
I sat in a mulberry tree for a long time last night. It was really nice. And there's a cherry tree in Tanoliel's yard that we used to climb. . .I love that tree
I have a few trees i used to regularly climb. But my fav one in our garden died and now i have nothing left to climb becuase our other ones have too many small branches. I tend just to walk amongst the trees now, climbing only when i have to. *sigh* I miss my tree. It was a weeping willow. (That was the relevence of quoting you! )

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:17 PM   #27
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I name trees sometimes, but usually more with a picture than a name... I dunno, it's hard to describe.

Cirdan, than place sounds really cool, wish I could've seen it. There's a bed and breakfast where I live called the Banyan that is kind of like that, the tree is outside but the branches has grown all over the walls.

I have climbed palm trees, Elbereth, but I don't like them very much. Not much you can do in them. :shrug: Except if you can find a dead frond that's still well attached to the tree to swing on (for some reason the living ones tended to fall off when I tried that ). There was a palm tree at my middle school that we used to do that on; very fun.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:10 PM   #28
azalea
Long lost mooter

I did name trees when I was a kid. My favorite one was named Grandfather (I have NO idea why), one was named Dapple and one was named Prickly (because it was prickly and unpleasant to climb). I had a mimosa tree, but I forget it's name, and I never named the magnolia. I had a small tulip poplar and when I was at the top I'd sway back and forth and pretend it was a boat. Good thing it never broke or anything! I called it the Dawn Treader after the ship in Narnia.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 08:03 PM   #29
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Elenka-I name trees as well. A lot of trees. I have one called Grandmother, and one called King, a spruce and a birch. I pretend they are my parents. Then I have Crieghant, a lovely spruce tree who I pretend is my brother who traveled all over the world in days gone by. A bit like Treebeard, now that I think about it. Moonface, another spruce, is my 'older sister' and Batface, a maple, is my 'younger brother'. I know, it's strange, but I have had these trees since I was six and they are really nice to talk to.

Menelvagor-I myself have never climbed a palm tree, I just wondered what it was like since I saw someone climb one on TV. I imagine the shorter, wider species of palms would be easier to climb than the really tall, flat-trunked kinds.

FRODO LIVES!!!
Old 08-25-2002, 08:28 PM   #30
Elenka

The tree at my barn is Alda, the tree i the park is Friend. There is also another tree, a mulberry, in my neighborhood. No good for climbing, but somebody put a rope swing on one of her branches. Even though she's right at a school, no one is ever in the grove where she is, so its a very peaceful place to be. Her name is Agra.

Old 08-25-2002, 09:17 PM   #31
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

I love the names Agra and Alda! Why did you name them that?

FRODO LIVES!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #32
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I remember climbing a tree on only one occasion: when my cat got stuck in there about 8 meters up. It was a pine tree.

But I do have my own tree that's named after me. It was a hazel tree. (don't if that's the right translation) My dad planted it when I was born.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:44 PM   #33
Elenka

Well, alda means "tree" in quenyan, and it seemed to fit the tree. Agra just sorta came to me while I was swinging on the swing that dangles from her branches.

And I thought of yet another tree I should mention. There is a big gnarled maple tree near my house. Its roots are twisted in the shape of a little chair. Its affectionate name is "the sitting tree"

Old 08-27-2002, 10:30 AM   #34
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

I have only named one tree in Elvish, Sindarian I think: El-Uiul (maybe not spelled right), Star-Twilight.

FRODO LIVES!!!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:54 PM   #35
Elenka

That's very pretty. I don't name trees in elvish unless I think the word sounds pretty and I don't think it sounds nice in english. For example, I wouldn't name a tree "tree". But "alda" sounds pretty and means the same thing.

Old 08-30-2002, 08:11 PM   #36
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

I am making up a new language (two, actually, but very simliar, dervived from a common stem, and sharing somew words), and I might name a tree in it. When it's more developed.

FRODO LIVES!!!
Old 08-31-2002, 01:29 AM   #37
Celandine
Elven Warrior

I'm not an expert of trees but my grandparents have a bunch of apple trees, that are great for climbing.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 10:37 AM   #38
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

You don't have to be an expert on trees to like to climb them, Celendine, as I am sure you know. I like apple trees too. They are very magic sort of trees.

FRODO LIVES!!!
Old 09-02-2002, 01:39 AM   #39
katya
Elven Maiden

i love trees...i have one in my backyard, some random pine-ish thingy. edit: its a spruce. it's great to climb, very easy yet enjoyably. the branches go practicallly to the ground. they stick out all around all the way up. it's nice.
i want to name this tree but i can' think of a name. i will think of one though sooner or later-it has to fit. when i was really little i had three trees (none of which you could climb) that had names but i can't remember what they were except Windy (which i thought was how you said Wendy) because in my derranged imagination i thought that this tree made the wind. the other trees had similar names and functions.

Last edited by katya : 09-13-2002 at 04:14 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 01:42 AM   #40
katya
Elven Maiden

oh! Harry! my poor Harry! it was a white pine that i planted in my yard, poor harry. it wasnt very healthy... but then one day...the lawn mower...nassty lawn mower. he did it when i was not home. nasssty lawn mower. that was the same day i read the little prince...i actually cried. i really did. i never cry over deaths of relatives and stuff but i cried so hard for my poor tree. i had it for about 5 years. poor poor harry.

no one shall ever be able to climb poor harry.

Last edited by katya : 09-02-2002 at 01:44 AM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote