Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2002, 10:54 AM   #21
Elvellon
Elf Lord

What else to say? Faramir is indeed one of the most crucial characters in the LotR. Twice he olds the fate of Middle Earth in his hands. The first time when he encounters the hobbits, the second when he freely gives back his ancestral rights over Gondor and recognises Aragorn as is true sovereign.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 02:09 PM   #22
XRogue
Elven Warrior

He could have taken the Ring, but instead refused even to look at it, and he could have blamed the hobbits (esp. Frodo) for Boromir's death, but he didn't. Faramir gave the hobbits kindness and refreshed them for the end of their journey at a time when they badly needed it, and provisions for the trip as well.

Then Faramir gave up his seat as Ruling Steward, an act Boromir, who was raised to be Steward, never would have been able to do willingly.

Faramir exhibited wisdom and character, and deserves his place of great respect amongst Tolkien's characters.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:56 AM   #23
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

I love how Tolkien says that he "found " Faramir walking in the woods of Ithilien.

Faramir is probably my third favorite character.....Aragorn and Eowyn being #1 & 2.
I loved him from the moment he treated Frodo and Sam so kindly. I was impressed by his resistance to the lure of the Ring, by his patient and tender wooing of Eowyn, by his honorable and willing submission to Aragorn's authority, by his love of lore.
Denethor was an old fool, IMHO.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:36 PM   #24
Valacirca
Hobbit

Denethor might had been an old fool, then Boromir was a young fool because they were so much alike...
One of the things that I like in Faramir is his warm relationship with his brother, he is able to love him even though Boromir gets all the love and attention from their father. I think that it´s great that their relationship is described in the books, because it shows the warmer side of Boromir also - no matter what he did and how blind and shortsighted he might had been, he loved his brother.
Valacirca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:46 PM   #25
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
I agree.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 01:59 AM   #26
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I've always liked Faramir. He's my favorite human in the books.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 04:20 PM   #27
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Strider

Faramir is a very neat character. He had what Boromir had and more. But he was disliked by his father, even though he was a good person, and I think that may have taken something from him. He was a good warrior, not eager to battle, but when needed he was very strong. He was also loved by his people. Remember when he returned to Gondor how everyone cheered, and how Beryle acted. Remember when Denethor was going to have both him and Faramir burned how Berlye fought off the gaurds to keep him alive? That is true loyalty. I think Faramir was loved morethan Boromr by his people. Faramir was my favorite character, and I also chose him as my Entmoot name.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!

Last edited by Faramir : 08-01-2002 at 10:35 PM.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 08:12 PM   #28
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

There is no need to use the Spoiler tag in the Lord of the Rings book forum Faramir.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:31 PM   #29
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Faramir is a very good and respectable character that many in the book looked up to as a king. He to me should have been a king.(If he was already a king then he'll mekre a good king.) He is brave and loyal to his father even though his father was bad to him.
Old 08-01-2002, 10:34 PM   #30
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Oh, I thought I might be giving parts of the book away. That happened to me a lot and I thought I was supposed to. Sorry.
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Old 08-02-2002, 12:52 PM   #31
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Well even if they haven't read the whole book yet they would have read that. But o well.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:59 PM   #32
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Quote:
Oh, I thought I might be giving parts of the book away. That happened to me a lot and I thought I was supposed to. Sorry.
I would hope the books would be more interesting and would keep the attention of the reader until they were done, instead of getting on the net and reading about the books.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:49 PM   #33
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I wasn't trying to figure out what was happening it was an accident, and I was upset to have very good parts spoiled for me.
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Old 08-05-2002, 03:54 PM   #34
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Quote:
I was upset to have very good parts spoiled for me.
Yes, that is the risk of reading websites on books we havent finished reading.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:29 PM   #35
entss89
lord of the ents

Strider HI

PRACTICLY THE SAME!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:26 AM   #36
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

Faramir is one of my favorite characters in the book, maybe even more so because Tolkien does not tell us much about him. I think it interesting that Denethor would like Boromir better because he himself was more like Faramir, but then again Faramir was so wise that maybe Denethor feels like his own wisdom is challenged.

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:17 PM   #37
katya
Elven Maiden

i guess i dont have a lot to say but anyway i do like faramir. he is cooler than boromir. and well, um...everything that has already been said i guess. oh well...
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:41 PM   #38
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider Re: HI

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
PRACTICLY THE SAME!
What does that mean???
Old 08-26-2002, 08:43 PM   #39
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider Re: HI

Quote:
Originally posted by entss89
PRACTICLY THE SAME!
What does that mean???

Faramir was one of the most respected characters in the book. He would be my vote for king if he was of blood.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:21 AM   #40
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I agree with just about everyone else. I looked at this thread a bit late, so sorry if I just repeat what everyone else said.
I think that Faramir is a lot more complex than his brother. He has a deeper character: he is more like Aragorn, and therefore more kingly. He has a greater sense of dignity about him, but is not arrogant like his father. He is courteous, wise, and will go to battle not because he is a warrior like his brother but because he must, and it is the right thing to do. However, he seemed to change from first meeting him to the end. It seems to me his self esteem grew. He always lived in the shadow of Boromir, Denethor's favorite. But as he lay dying, his father came to terms of what his second son meant to him. After that, I believe, Farair changed, becoming even more like Aragorn.
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote