Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2002, 10:11 PM   #21
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Whatdaya mean? How many of the Acorna's did you get through?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 01:26 PM   #22
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

*looking up at TS meekly* 1/5255524555455245424555755754757575757/10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000 of one because I only read the first paragraph before my friend stole it back from me. HUmph. she knows me too well. If I stole her book, she would never get it back while I was Alive(j/k)
HJEHEHEHEHEHEHE
LOD
I am Morwen, Lady of Darkness.

Her head was bowed,
from all the tears and pain,
but she would rise again
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 05:30 PM   #23
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Frustrating, I remember that beginning, it's a teaser.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 06-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #24
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

what beginnig? do you mean stealing other friends Acorna Books? or do you mean the beginnig of the book? Dope!*smacks herself on the head* I forgot to get my sister to get more AM(Anne McCaffery) books
(this is where someone goes" smart, very smart LOD" and I reply "HEH HEH")
Just Joking
HEHEHEHEHE
LOD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 06-19-2002, 09:04 PM   #25
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

I FINALLY yes finally got some Acorna books. I really like them. I have all the one's out so far and I hope she comes out with some more really really soon.
LOD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 07-06-2002, 03:02 AM   #26
OrangeStone
Sapling

I like to read some of Anne McCaffery books. Though there is some subtle sexism (which I think dates them) I enjoy the fantasy/sci-fi aspect. "To Ride Pegasus" is fun, but I was first introduced to her work by her books about Pern, which I also take pleasure in. Blah, blah, blah... They should definately be read by everyone. They are interesting.
OrangeStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 08:54 PM   #27
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

just out of curiosity, where is the sexism? Are you refurring to the part where only women can here all dragons? curiosity killed the cat but, yes, satisfaction brought it back.
HEHEHEHEH
LOD
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVEN THOUGH IT IS THE 6TH

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 07-07-2002, 01:48 AM   #28
OrangeStone
Sapling

Though women are sometimes portrayed as strong or heroic, they always are described as having some kind of childlike(silly/unimportant) or fragile nature about them. They always end up with some older guy taking care of them in the end. This goes for just about everything of hers I have read. Like I said it is subtle enough not to drive me away from her books; I just like to have all the characters on generally the same emotional/societal level. It makes things less cliche and more interesting and new age-y.
OrangeStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 06:52 PM   #29
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

I love Anne McCaffery's books, especially Dragonriders of Pern. In those books, the Pernese women certainly could take care of themselves and the female riders were right along side of the male riders. There was little sexism, that I could see. As to childlike and fragile natures, there wern't much of those either, as far as I could tell. Sure, there were some, but let's face it, it wouldn't be realistic if everyone was on the same emotional/societal level. Of course, these are all just my personal opinions.

Oh, and if anyone else has questions about Pern and the books, go to the World of Pern page at http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/ext/pern.html
This is an awsome site, a little out of date, but awsome nonetheless. It also includes a list of the order in which Anne McCaffery reccomends you read the books.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 07:54 PM   #30
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I love the Pern books and I have read them several times. the White Dragon is my favorite. Has anyone ever read The Death of Sleep? It's part of the Planet Pirates series. I love that book. I think she co-wrote it with someone else, but I can't remember who.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 01:41 PM   #31
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

never heard of it or seen it

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 08-09-2002, 03:56 PM   #32
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I just read "All the Weyrs of Pern" for the first time. It's a little over the top, but I really enjoyed it. My sister gave it to me, I didn't even know it existed.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 07:27 PM   #33
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

have you read the Dolphins of Pern or The skies of Pern? I loe them both even though some of the people in them infuriate me for their stupidity!
LoD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 08-12-2002, 09:29 PM   #34
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I love the PERN books and I keep rereading them too. Just finished The Master Harper of PERN. It's so interesting to me the way she keeps letting us see some of the same events through the "lives" of the different characters.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:03 PM   #35
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

That one made me cry

Old 08-13-2002, 05:45 PM   #36
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Ohhhh, Masterharper made me cry too. I love that book! Robinton is my favorite character.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 05:33 PM   #37
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

i agree
masterharper made me cry too. so did Dolphins of Pern, even though that one also made me Mad at Redis's Mother.sooooo
anyway. no more spoilers!
ffoyflol
LoD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 10-30-2002, 09:50 PM   #38
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

i ahven't been keeping up with Anne McCaffrey, but I hope she writes a new one soon!
LoD

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again
Old 11-01-2002, 03:43 PM   #39
Telperion
Enting

Master Harper Robinton is definitely my favorite character. i have read all of Anne McCaffery's Pern boooks, her Acorna books and her Talent books. i've only read one crystal singer though. I read Nimisha's ship and really liked it. is that in a series or is it on it's own? My goal is to read all of Anne mcacaffery's books but it will take me a while to do so.
I hope she puts out a new Pern book soon as that is my favorite series by far.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:19 PM   #40
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

i have an idea, let's sign a petition and send it to her saying that we want a new book if she doesn't write one within a year, eh?

LoD
THE Lady of Darkness

Her head was bowed,
but she would rise again