Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2000, 08:03 PM   #21
Darth Tater

Re: Another problem with leaving out Bombadil...

I read somewhere that Aragorn is giving them swords at Bree.
Old 07-03-2000, 08:14 PM   #22
noldo

I knew it.

This change will put a whole lot of pressure on the scene where Aragorn and the hobbits meet Arwen (Glorfindel) in the woods.

It will be a romantic-scene.
Old 07-04-2000, 04:02 PM   #23
IronParrot

Re: I knew it.

WHAT? Replacing Glorfindel with Arwen? Optimism scale going down again...
Old 07-05-2000, 08:52 PM   #24
noldo

It will be great!

http://www.earlyng.homestead.com/files/heartshe.gif
Old 07-06-2000, 02:09 AM   #25
Stiegl

Oops, sorry if I gave away some info on the Movie. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge about Arwen's role. Is there a rule about Spoilers? Should they be announced?

I saw the info a while back on TORN and Ringbearer.com that Arwen would replacing Glorfindel and I also saw some pictures of Arwen riding with Frodo on a horse. I thought this pretty much confirmed it.

Even if Glorfindel is part of the Council of Elrond, (which I'm guessing is a longshot) he probably won't have much of a part, which is too bad. I always liked his character and wished JRR would have given him a bigger role in the book.
Old 07-06-2000, 04:37 AM   #26
arynetrek

arwen replacing glorfindel?

gods, my worst fears are coming true. they're going to turn this wonderful book into a sap-story!

BTW, i have nothign against arwen, & if they could do it right (i don't know how) i think the movie should include part of the tale of A&A. but re-writing to book is sacriledge, & even reshuffling the minor elves is enough to annoy me.

aryne *
Old 07-06-2000, 02:11 PM   #27
Darth Tater

If you think that's bad you should read Super Spy Galdariel's latest report at TOR.N
If people didn't want movie spoilers they wouldn't come to this forum, so they're allowed.
Old 07-24-2000, 04:50 PM   #28
Gilthalion

Transmogrification

Perhaps it's a shame to replace Glorfindel with Arwen and it's certainly terrible to make her a "warrior-princess."

But remember that Luthien Tinuviel herself saw a lot of action (of a sort). They would be more imaginative (not to mention truer to Tolkien) to put Arwen into action in that sort of way, with enchantments and daring rather than hacking and slashing. Let Eowyn do the sword-swinging!

Still, passing the Fords does not really REQUIRE that she do battle, just loan Frodo a horse and grab a torch!

It helps to give Arwen and Aragorn some more screen time together. That may prove necessary to present their love story to a theater audience rather than to a reader.

I've read rumors of Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep and of her slaying Saruman (or was it Wormtongue). Now that's going way too far and actually changing the nature of the story itself! (If true...)
Old 07-25-2000, 02:08 AM   #29
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Transmogrification

What makes me mad about this is that they're making me hate Arwen for that. I'll think about this when I reread the book... (grumble)... damn Arwen... Could you step out now...
Old 06-01-2001, 12:35 AM   #30
Samwise of the shire

What is it with the minor characters?

I dont get it I mean I'd have a cow if Sam was left out or if Aragorn was left out but seriously Tom Bombadil,Glorfindel,and Gildor are about as importent as a green door on Bag end.You're taking these movies too seriously they are NOT the books and so you cant expect them to follow the books in perfect detail,and dont make assumptions that just cause Arwen gets into the plot(which is stupid and totally uneccisary)does'nt mean that it's gonna be sappy,honestly from what I've seen and read it is gonna be a great movie.
What if one of the Hobbits found swords in the house at Crickhllow or they got some from the Blacksmith or something like that?TB does'nt have to supply the swords.
Sam
Old 06-02-2001, 12:04 AM   #31
Inoldonil

Re: Another problem with leaving out Bombadil...

I think it is almost known for certain that Aragorn will give the hobbits their blades, or they will get them at Weathertop, or both. In the movies, at the top of Weathertop (where they will be camping), there's swords everywhere. Or so we see in pictures. The Barrow-downs are indeed being cut out completely, and I think Gildor too.

The worth of the Barrow-blades, or rather Weather-blades, or Bree-blades, or whatever they are going to be certainly seem to be lessened, for in the 20 minutes of footage of the LOTR report it is stated Merry and Pippin on a Cave-trolls back don't even hurt it with their stabs and it tosses them off with ease.

Quote:
the scene where he puts on the Ring & it has no power over him - i've always thought that was an important scene because it proved that there's some people in Middle-Earth who are in a way separated from the rest of the world.
I think you hit very near the mark there. Tolkien said TB was important as a comment. He was needed to get across a kind of character and statement no where else seen in the work. Of course he goes into it with more depth. Anyway TB also has other important functions.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

The name of Elbereth helped to drive the Nazgul away, there is no Lay for her. Unless that song he sung was called the Lay of Elbereth externally from the narrative (like in the index). There is the Lay Leithian, Release From Bondage, that Aragorn tells a part of before the Nazgul attack them.

But Gildor and his Wandering Companies were the ones who told Bombadil and Aragorn about the hobbits and their peril. I believe they made it to Rivendell too, but at the moment I am not sure.

They aren't cutting Glorfindel! We've heard he's accompanied by Arwen, not replaced by her.
Old 06-03-2001, 08:11 PM   #32
Samwise of the shire

Merry lookit what I found!!!

(dont cut yourself Pippin )Well problem how in the heck would Aragorn be able to climb the top of the gate at Bree with swords strapped to him?Or when he'd pull a sword out (I can just see it) He was'nt trusted and now he's pulling a sword out of his cloak hmmm I deffiantly think that the Hobbits would freak out,but that might be kinda funny. who knows I'm still gonna see it wether or not they have swords.
Sam
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:
Old 06-06-2001, 03:54 AM   #33
Inoldonil

Re: Merry lookit what I found!!!

I agree. I'll just try and forget about the departures and enjoy it as a movie. Oh, if someone asks me about departures I'll give them a full report, but I'll enjoy the movie, if it is good. It looks to be that way.

By the way, Gildor's folk did indeed make it to Rivendell, that is how Elrond had news of Frodo and sent out the few Elves he had who could combat the Nazgul (including Glorfindel, naturally). So with Gildor out of the picture in the movies, there is the question of just how Elrond knew about Frodo and the pursuit of the Nine. I guess they will just have Gandalf tell them and ruin the suspense. They're showing Gandalf's capture in Orthanc as it happened, rather than a retelling, so one will know why Gandalf was late anyway.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:42 PM   #34
webwizard333

Re: A BIG problem with leaving out Bombadil...

back 2 the original topic....

i always felt that bombadil was important (no accident that he gave merry ... right? the magic sword but he also shows that sauron isnt all powerful and he THAT SAURON CAN BE BEATEN. i mean the ring was treated like a hula hoop by him
Old 06-08-2001, 12:18 AM   #35
Darth Tater

magic sword?
Old 06-08-2001, 12:49 AM   #36
Inoldonil

The Barrow-blade. It was called a sword by other characters other than Merry, as to him it was.
Old 06-14-2001, 02:07 AM   #37
Feanturi

Mostly, all the characters in tolkiens books had a huge part in keeping the story going. If they Leave out those Characters than they will have to create new ways to keep it going, and might even cost more money. Although i'm still going to see the movie, probably with a couple of my friends , they will probably tell me, as will i tell them about whats out of place. I just think that if it's worth doing something then they should do it right. But i will enjoy it for the movie it is also.