Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2002, 09:35 PM   #21
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*ahem*

The original mac OS was very nice. However, windows (at that point little more than a bootleg imitiation) was released something like six months earlier. Thus it gained popularity while macintosh was working the bugs out. And when the mac was released, it couldn't compete very well in an already dominant market. Despite the fact that it was clearly surperior.

Honestly, just compare the older mac systems to the older windows. Windows sucks. Windows 3.0, for example. Total junk. The macintosh, on the other hand, was very nice. All kinds of cool things to play with. You remember that freaky voice synthasis that used to be standard issue? Stuff like that has only become mainstream (read: available for windows) in the past few years.

Now, fastforward. Windows has gotten progressively better with each release, while mac has gone down the tubes. My system runs windows 98 (which dates it a bit) and has crashed all of then times since I've had it. My friend's IMAC boggs down several times a day.

Which has absolutely no relevance to the topic, however, I must close with these words of wisdom: Use a pic of yourself, in all your freaky splendor. Go ahead, you know you want to. ]: )
Old 02-28-2002, 09:49 PM   #22
Darth Tater
The man

Your friend must suck with computers. Macs only crash if you make them crash. PC's crash cause they feel like it.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:54 PM   #23
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Ah, but Wayfarer, have you seen the brand - spanking new Mac OS X? Superfast, and supercool. All kinds of toys, user friendly, and the most beautiful screensavers I've ever seen come standard! One of them, Nature, has a couple of scenes that look just like Middle Earth to me. Really, it doesn't crash that often - my Dad's computer at work with Windows 98 crashes a whole lot more than our new G4 Mac with OS X! And how many computers with Windows let you "see" the music you're listening to - you know, awesome graphics that move as the music does? Really, it's not gone as far downhill as you think.

Oh, and you're not seroius about the Admin thing, are you Tater?

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."

Last edited by galadriel88 : 02-28-2002 at 09:57 PM.
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 10:03 PM   #24
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hmm...

Well, my friend does have five computers at home. So i assume he knows somehting about them.
And I'll admit that my crash-free existance might has somethign to do with a bit of talent on my part. Ok, a heck of a lot of talent. ]: )

I have to tell you, galadriel, I don't like the nature screensaver. The one I use is pretty simply, but I like it because it's custom.

However, what I usually do during the day is turn up my speakers, pull up a MP3 list with whatever music I feel like, put it in shuffle+Repeat mode, and put on whatever fullscreen visualization tickles my fancy. Elven stars? Galadriel's Mirror? Eye of Sauron? They're all custom as well, so I can make a new one whenever I want. ]: ) Your mac does let you do that, right?
Old 02-28-2002, 10:13 PM   #25
Darth Tater
The man

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88

Oh, and you're not seroius about the Admin thing, are you Tater?
If you give me your computer
Old 02-28-2002, 10:20 PM   #26
galadriel88

Just realized it's called Forest, not Nature. And if you don't like that there's always Beaches, or one of the other several that come standard, or you can make your own. And, actually, Wayfarer, I think I can do that.....

Does your Windows have a search feature that will let you search several search engines, online encyclopedias, online people search sites, entertainment sites, or shopping sites all at once, can also search all hard drives and disks on your computer, and has a clever name? Mine's called Sherlock, he he.

Sorry, Tater, but it's techinically not my computer - it's my Dad's. He has his own part time business and bought it with company money. But we all use it so I say it's my computer. So I 'll just have to content myself with being a normal member for now.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."

Last edited by galadriel88 : 02-28-2002 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:31 PM   #27
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I've never been a fan of search engines. I have this funky memory, and I used to read encyclopedias in my spare time. I'm not interested in the web at large, entertainment, shopping, or people sites. Oh, and I rarely use a search on my hard drive because I have most of it mapped out. ]: )
Old 02-28-2002, 10:44 PM   #28
Darth Tater
The man

Bill Gates is the devil. Have a nice day.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #29
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

You know, I'nm with you on that one.

Microsoft has introduced more soul-destroying products than any company other than Hell.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #30
galadriel88

LOL Tater. Ditto.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:18 PM   #31
anduin
Entwife

iTunes rule. And what could be better than an iPod to go with your iTunes?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 11:30 PM   #32
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
PC's crash cause they feel like it.
We like to call that Internal Human Personality Integration. It makes it more like working with a real person.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 12:23 PM   #33
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
*Smacks noldo upside the head* Be good now or there'll be more admin brutality
OoOh, I sooo love it when he does that...

I have a mac too, ye know Tater?
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:09 PM   #34
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

oi!

haha talk about computers crashing.
there was a point where you couldn't be on the net for more than five minutes with out one of those, "this program has performed an illegal operation" messages.
finally we fgot it fixed after two months.
now it only crashes when it is mad at me for being on entmoot too long.
windows 98 is notorius for crashing though.

i DO NOT like bill gates and i think i'll help you hang that UFO mouse guy, nibs.
i think that my school thought it was funny to torture us with those ugly odd, stupid gross (ok i'll stop, i think ya get the picture)
Old 03-01-2002, 04:26 PM   #35
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I personally have had no problems with my mac. I have a nice ibook. My roomate has some computer that runs on windows. It makes a loud noise whenever he restarts it because it locked up or soemthing. Also my network conection seems to be running during times when his isn't. I like my mac much better.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 04:32 PM   #36
Darth Tater
The man

LOL, I remember back in the day when anduin and me were the only enlightened ones on the moot. Now folks are coming over to the non-****py side.
Old 03-01-2002, 04:46 PM   #37
Twilight
Elven Warrior

Another good thing about the mac is that I don't have to worry about computer viruses. Almost all of them don't even affect a mac. They are made because microsoft stuff has so many bugs in it, so it is easy to write a virus for it.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #38
anduin
Entwife

Twilight....you say you have an iBook. Is that one of the newer ones or one of the old "clamshell" ones? If the older, which color do you have? I have one of the newer ones and I just love the darn thing. My hubby has one of the TiBooks, but frankly it is just too large for my liking.

Man, Tater is right. It is so much nicer knowing that there are other Mac users here. More people to stand up for Macs!!

Noldo....I never knew you had a Mac. Whatcha got?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 05:47 PM   #39
galadriel88

I never expected to find so many Mac fans when I came here - I thought I was living in a total PC world. Boy, was I ever wrong! You guys are great.

Anduin, I love my itunes too! I just don't have an ipod - what is it?

Old 03-01-2002, 06:01 PM   #40
Twilight
Elven Warrior

The ibook that I have is the newer model. It is white, and has an apple on the back that lights up when the computer is on. It is smaller than most laptops. Very convenient for carrying around, and still big enough to use for anything that I have needed so far.