Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2002, 09:29 PM   #21
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Sam!
Hey, if you don't believe me, go to Mordor and try to take out a giant spider by yourself....it isn't too easy (so I've heard )
Just kidding.
Or maybe I'm not....
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:10 PM   #22
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

I think that Isildur deserves a mention here, as he was just about to die up against the most feared enemy of middle earth, Sauron, who even broke his father's sword into pieces, which would dishearten any normal man. Yet, as heir to Elendil and with kingly fortitude, he managed to gather the courage to strike at the enemy in desperation, cutting the Ring from Sauron's finger and sending him into oblivion for a few thousand years! Now that's a pretty powerful sword strike, don't ya think? Doesn't even compare to slaying a few miserable Orcs.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #23
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Aragorns Dimple:
I think that Isildur deserves a mention here, as he was just about to die up against the most feared enemy of middle earth, Sauron,
I'm not so sure about that. Tolkien does not say whether Isildur was under any direct threat from Sauron at the time. Besides, Sauron wasn't exactly attacking at that exact moment (he had been "thrown down" (The Silmarillion, pg 294) or "overthrown" (The Lord of the Rings I, pg 256)).
Quote:
More:
who even broke his father's sword into pieces, which would dishearten any normal man. Yet, as heir to Elendil and with kingly fortitude, he managed to gather the courage to strike at the enemy in desperation, cutting the Ring from Sauron's finger and sending him into oblivion for a few thousand years!
Once again, I am not so sure about any "desperation". Tolkien does not say that Isildur struck out at Sauron, merely that he cut the Ring from his hand. Remember, Sauron had just been "thrown down" or "overthrown".
Quote:
More:
Now that's a pretty powerful sword strike, don't ya think?
Nope.

Last edited by Andúril : 02-14-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 05:15 PM   #24
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Brimvalir
Who do you think is the best Swordsman ?? Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir or Eomer?
I think aragorn. Then Boromir, Eomer and Faramir in the end.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #25
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Aragorn, then Imrahil, Boromir, Eomer, Faramir.......Gandalf is not too shabby at swinging a sword either (Thorin Oakenshield gets a posthumous mention)

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 02-14-2003 at 05:43 PM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:34 PM   #26
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

The last few posters seem to be for getting this:

Quote:
Éowyn realizes in The Steward and the King that Faramir was a man no one among the Rohirrim could match in battle, so Éomer is out of the running right there.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:06 AM   #27
Millane
The Dude

mmm Aragorn Boromir Eomer (faramir doesnt come into it regardless of fact )
i think that Turin would have been the best... yes i dont recall where but it was said somewhere in the Sil that when Turin died so did the greatest warriors of men to walk Ea
Old 02-15-2003, 01:25 PM   #28
Fingolfin_1st
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

ypur gettin mixed up with Hurin turins dad hurin was the greatest warrior of men.
But does it have to be out of them four?
if it does then i say:
Aragorn
Boromir
Eomer
Faramir

I know you said eomer is last of the pile but i dont think so at the end of the pellonor battle it said that Aragorn Imrahil and eomer were unharmed because such was there skill at arms and correct me if im wrong but wasnt faramir shot with a poison dart?
If he was such a great warrior he would have avoided it.

And about meadhros being stronger than Fingolfin??
ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! do you really think that meadhros could stand up against Morgoth..........i think not.
Feanor maybe but he was killed by Gothmog and i bet Fingolfin would mess up Gothmog with one strike.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:57 PM   #29
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

My choice, The Best Swordsman

I. Montoya
Old 02-15-2003, 04:27 PM   #30
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Éowyn realizes in The Steward and the King that Faramir was a man no one among the Rohirrim could match in battle, so Éomer is out of the running right there.
Ah, every sister tends to underestimate her brother.

Aragorn was the best, undoubtedly, but somebody's got to speak up for Éomer here. He beat Uglúk in a one-on-one sword fight at the border of Fangorn, after all. And at the close of the Battle of the Pelennor Field, he was, along with Aragorn and Imrahil, unscathed,
Quote:
...for such was their fortune and the skill and might of their arms,....
emphasis added
Also, he accompanied King Elessar often "beyond the Sea of Rhun and on the far fields of the South" until he grew old. Aragorn wouldn't have fought alongside anyone but the best.

So, also given that Faramir told Frodo that Boromir was the best fighting man in Gondor, I'd rank them:

Aragorn
Éomer
Boromir
Faramir
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 05:00 AM   #31
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Aragorn
Boromir
Faramir
Éomer
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:37 PM   #32
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

i'd say Aragorn
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:40 PM   #33
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Aragorn
Boromir
Éomer
Faramir

I think Éowyn was a very good swordswoman.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:57 PM   #34
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
He beat Uglúk in a one-on-one sword fight at the border of Fangorn, after all
What page is that on? Next to Elrond AND Half-elven?

Quote:
he was, along with Aragorn and Imrahil, unscathed,
Faramir was not there so we do not know how he would have done.

Quote:
Aragorn wouldn't have fought alongside anyone but the best.
Faramir was the Steward he couldn't go.

Quote:
So, also given that Faramir told Frodo that Boromir was the best fighting man in Gondor
A non sequitor because it says that " No man of the Mark could beat"

Quote:
correct me if im wrong but wasnt faramir shot with a poison dart?
To Paraphrase Elrond" it only takes one projectile to slay the greatest warrior"

It not like the people have minus ten armor classes and it was a plot device to hook up Faramir and Eowyn and cause Denethor's final plunge into insanity.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-16-2003, 09:14 PM   #35
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Re: My choice, The Best Swordsman

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
I. Montoya

Not Minamoto Musashi?

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #36
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

What an absurd question. Aragorn, he is dunedain no?

And how skilled could Bormir be? He died.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:29 AM   #37
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
What an absurd question. Aragorn, he is dunedain no?

And how skilled could Bormir be? He died.

Of the four mentioned Aragorn is the best ;however, your statement about is odd if it was meant to be serious.

Far greater warriors died in ME than any of the four mentioned here could every hope to be.

Dying in battle in and of itself in not the mark of a skilled warrior.

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-17-2003, 03:37 AM   #38
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

BTW Boromir is Dunedain too.
The house of stewards are an off shoot of the royal line.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 02-17-2003 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:57 PM   #39
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Fingolfin_1st
And about meadhros being stronger than Fingolfin??
ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! do you really think that meadhros could stand up against Morgoth..........i think not.
Feanor maybe but he was killed by Gothmog and i bet Fingolfin would mess up Gothmog with one strike.
I think that the first son of the first prince of the Ñoldor could in fact deliver some blows against Morgoth. After all, he was not too fond of Morgoth either.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #40
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
What page is that on? Next to Elrond AND Half-elven?
Nah, actually it's on page 63 of The Two Towers in the famous "Elrond and Halfelven" edition (a/k/a the Houghton Mifflin 1965 hardcover book, second edition), i.e., at the end of the chapter "The Uruk-Hai":
Quote:
So it was that they (Merry and Pippin...TLoI) did not see the last stand, when Uglúk was overtaken and brought to bay at the very edge of Fangorn. There he was slain at last by Éomer, the Third Marshal of Rohan, who dismounted and fought him sword to sword.
One imagines it was Uglúk's head on the stake that the Three Hunters saw when they finally reached the battleground. Gimli was rather lucky that Éomer's fighting blood had had a chance to cool down before their argument re: Galadriel.

Yay, Éomer!
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote