Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2002, 10:39 PM   #21
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

How do people live without some sort of fantasy world escape? Poor fools! No wonder they're all miserable pot-smoking suicidal losers (around here, anyway) . . . What is it like, never to have read LotR?? I can't imagine. Even when I'm not reading LotR or doing something directly related to it, it's always there in my mind, calling, calling, calling . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 11:34 PM   #22
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
How do people live without some sort of fantasy world escape? Poor fools! No wonder they're all miserable pot-smoking suicidal losers (around here, anyway) . . .
Or else hanging on someone else's misery like vultures...gossiping all day...blah blah blah blah blah. I'm convinced LOTR is the only healthy addiction possible. It's the only real escape.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 02:30 AM   #23
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

What?! What about those popping bubble-wraps? You didn't think of those, did you?
Old 01-03-2002, 10:36 PM   #24
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

How about bubble wrap with pictures of scenes from LotR? Bubble wrap with rings on it and you have to pop the bubble in the middle of each ring? Bubble wrap with orcs whose faces you pop? (yuck)

Still, I meet Tolkien fans in surprising places. Today a guy I thought was a total idiot started praising the movie and the books. It was shocking. However, I've never yet met (personally) anyone as obsessed as myself or the people on this forum . . .

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 01-03-2002, 11:20 PM   #25
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

That's what the ring is... its a parallel to the deadly addiction of bubble wrap.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:41 PM   #26
Marille
Hobbit

All my friends think I'm out of my mind, I'll get started into a deep LotR conversation, and when I'm done they all look at me as if I had just said something so off the wall! LOL.

Oh well we are not the freaks or weirdos, THEY ARE! Muahaha!
Old 01-10-2002, 04:34 PM   #27
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
oteaging? I'm not familiar with that word... Afro-Elf?

Wayfarer, I can only assume you summoned me because:

a) I'm the Typo Lord and you mock me

b) Due to my job

c) both

Engaging is what the lass meant to say I believe.

Quote:
And besides, us 'freaks' have all the fun! I mean, while they're all oteaging in sex and drugs, we're questionig and debating the balrog answer.
Well, I'm a little older than most of you, so will say OTEAGING in sex, while questioning and debating the Balrog answer is a true experience.

However,I think the only good weed is Hobbit grown pipeweed.

As for the question do my friends think I'm a loser, I've a question: what are friends?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:03 PM   #28
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Well, I'm a little older than most of you, so will say OTEAGING in sex, while questioning and debating the Balrog answer is a true experience.
Oh yeah... Passionate cries of 'WINGS'!

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
As for the question do my friends think I'm a loser, I've a question: what are friends?
Friends... er... friends are people who ... well... I think... Hmmm... Let me look that up in my LOTR...
Old 01-11-2002, 11:07 AM   #29
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Oh yeah... Passionate cries of 'WINGS'!
So, I see Galadriel has been talking to you.

Well, as long as Celeborn doesn't find out.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 03:55 PM   #30
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

My friends all call me weird because I love JRRT. I mean, is there anything better? COme on. So I went to see the movie on opening day and I practically have it memorized after viewing it once. Does that make me weird?

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 04:01 PM   #31
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Nariel, it may be weird, but you aren't the only one. I haven't even finished the books yet, but I have nearly memorized the movie (and come closer and closer to just BAWLING every time Boromir dies) and drive my friends crazy with quoting it. Only one or two of my other friends can put up with me when I start talking about it. Hehe.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 04:55 PM   #32
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Er, folks, just a minor point here, but if they think you're a "loser," for ANY reason, then they AIN'T your friends! Maybe you might consider being a little bit more selective....REAL friends accept you for who you are, and don't attach terms like "freak" or "loser" to you...

It slips my mind who said they wanted to publish LotR in Egypt, but if you do, you better hire bodyguards. I wouldn't go shaking the fundamentalist "submission" bushes too stridently in Egypt....them folks don't take a joke, they KILL people for even daring to express a contrary opinion.....a man called Anwar Sadat comes most readily to mind....We don't need any martyrs for Tolkienism.....

No reason to go up to the hornet's nest and start wailing on it with a four-inch stick...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 05:34 PM   #33
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Hmmmm, I've never tried "wailing" with a stick before . . . do you stick it down your throat and wail through it or what?

Remember, the important thing here isn't our own personal self-esteem . . . we have a mission, my friends. We must bring the Lord of the Rings to others. We must reach out our hands and pull them from the darkness of ignorance! We must save them from the abyss!! We must educate and civilize them!!! They must be enlightened!! And I will not rest until all of humanity sings "The Road Goes Ever On And On" with one voice!

Old 01-13-2002, 05:50 PM   #34
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Hmmmm, did I misspell here? Is the equivalent of the term "striking repetitively with great gusto and verve" the verb "to wail" or "to wale"?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:58 PM   #35
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I think the spelling is

wale which means

To raise marks on (the skin), as by whipping.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-13-2002, 09:07 PM   #36
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Many thanks, AE, and good call, FrodoFriend!
Old 01-13-2002, 11:07 PM   #37
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Oh, I believe your true friends can call you a 'loser' or a 'freak'. I do it to my friends too. It's always in jest.

Haha, I love talking like that. In jest...hehehe.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:56 AM   #38
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Many thanks, AE, and good call, FrodoFriend!
LOL, actually I thought it was "whale". So it's really afro-elf's call.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:09 AM   #39
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Ah, but had you not asked the question, FF, I'd not have asked AE fo clarification, so good call.
Old 01-14-2002, 02:37 AM   #40
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

My friends think i'm overly obsessed ewith LotR (I have this bad habit of quoting it alot on msn, and I've made it my goal in life to learn everything about the elves)

However, they all read and they understand why I'm obsessed...
And now that they've seen LotR and are reading the books, soon they'll be as obsessed as i am (one of them is already obsessed with elves....)

So I'm lucky that my friends don't call me loser... although we're all freaks in my group!

But if i was still with my friends of a year ago, i'd never mention LotR for fear of being teased....

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote