Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2002, 01:38 PM   #21
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I read The First King of Shannara, which I liked. Then I read The Sword of Shannara, which I liked, even though it was very similar to The Lord of the Rings. I just finished The Elfstones of Shannara, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I hope I like some of the others as well as I like that one. I have read Lord of the Rings multiple times, and I read all the David Eddings books. So this is the new series for me. I am also going to read the Thomas Covenant books. Peace.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:51 AM   #22
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I was wondering, IS The First King... a necessary read for the sake of continuance. Or could one skip it and go right ahead reading the Heritage-quartet?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 09:05 PM   #23
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

The First King... was written later than the first series. No it is not necessary to read it, but it is pretty good and did help me with the history of the whole thing.

By the way, I finished the first series, and I am on the second book of the Heritage series called The Druid of Shannara. Also, I read the first three Thomas Covenant books in between the first series and the second.

I will have to read them all before I can decide if it is second to Lord of the Rings. I liked the David Eddings books very much. Peace.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:58 AM   #24
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark of Cenla
The First King... was written later than the first series. No it is not necessary to read it, but it is pretty good and did help me with the history of the whole thing.

By the way, I finished the first series, and I am on the second book of the Heritage series called The Druid of Shannara. Also, I read the first three Thomas Covenant books in between the first series and the second.

I will have to read them all before I can decide if it is second to Lord of the Rings. I liked the David Eddings books very much. Peace.
Thanks! Maybe I'll buy it after all. I'm currently collecting "'The Voyage...". Will most probably start re-reading the whole series when time allows.
Old 07-26-2002, 02:14 PM   #25
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

I absolutely love this series!!! I agree that the Sword of Shannara especially was a lot like Lord of the Rings, but thats not a bad thing is it??? Since I like Lord of the Rings a lot, I was eager to read other books like it. I especially liked the whole heretige series, and I am eagerly awaiting the release of Morgawr! I can't wait!
Old 07-26-2002, 06:48 PM   #26
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I read the Sword of Shannara and I enjoyed it, but I just couldn't get into any of the others. I might give them another try later.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:08 PM   #27
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I have a question I'm hoping one of you will know the answer to. When is the sequel to "Isle Witch" coming out, and when it does, what will it be called?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 10:14 PM   #28
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

The sequel to Ilse Witch has already come out. It is called Antrax. The third book in that series will come out at the end of August. It will be called Morgawr. Hope that helps!
Old 07-30-2002, 07:26 PM   #29
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Liked series, but couldn't get into sec
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 11:51 PM   #30
Archbob the Elder
Enting

You will want to read the first king, it is the best book of the shannara series.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:07 PM   #31
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Archbob the Elder
You will want to read the first king, it is the best book of the shannara series.
I've bought "First King..." now and in so doing have the, so far, complete Shannara-series. Waiting for the third part of "The Journey..." in pocket.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #32
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

My friend said Terry Brooks was a satanist. He said he read that TB admitted it himself. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 09-24-2002, 10:34 AM   #33
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I went to his web site, where he discussed his new book. He said that his favorite theme in it is the recurring theme of redemption. It does not seem as though a satanist would be interested in redemption. Peace.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:12 AM   #34
Duddun
I Antha

I've never read the Shannara series but i take it they are good, well I will have to read them then.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 05:38 PM   #35
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

I read the elfqueen of shannara and when i get the other 10 books i'm working on finished i'll attack the whole series
Old 10-18-2002, 03:57 PM   #36
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I actually liked "First King of Shannara" less than the others, partly because of that one really violent scene where Paranor falls. I actually never finished that book; I stopped shortly after that. Perhaps someday I'll pick it up again.

I liked the others a lot though; thanks for telling me about Antrax .

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 10-18-2002 at 03:59 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:56 PM   #37
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

GRONK never liked the Shanara series. He read the first two Shanara books and didn't like either of them. The first one was like taking Lord of the Rings word for word, making the characters less original and likeable, and replacing the word ring with the word sword. The second one started off good but got boring later on. It seemed to turn into 100 pages of "Then they attacked again and both sides lost many men. Then they regrouped and attacked again with both sides having tragic casualties. Then they regrouped again...."
GRONK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 03:55 PM   #38
Telperion
Enting

i really like the Shannara series. The only book i got a liitle bit tired of was, The Wishsong. I think that's it at least, it might have been a different one.
i have read all the new ones and am waiting for Morgawr to come to a library. I found ou that it was out when i saw it on the top 10 book list in the books section of The Globe and Mail. That bugged me. It was on a top ten book list and i hadn't read it!

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:18 PM   #39
Celebrian
Enting

I do think the books are a little bit repetitive, they are interestin but you always know who the main characters are going to be {ohmsford} and you knnow there is going to be a druid. i like the Wishong, but for some reason I didn't like the Elf Queen of Shannara, I think it was just a little bit to far out. I am dying to tread Morgawr, but it has been so long I think I might have to read Ilse whitch again!

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:46 PM   #40
Telperion
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebrian
I do think the books are a little bit repetitive, they are interestin but you always know who the main characters are going to be {ohmsford} and you knnow there is going to be a druid. i like the Wishong, but for some reason I didn't like the Elf Queen of Shannara, I think it was just a little bit to far out. I am dying to tread Morgawr, but it has been so long I think I might have to read Ilse whitch again!
Interestin? i? My dearest sister, the correct spelling is INTERESTING. Also, "I" should be capitalized when you are using it to describe yourself. Just thought I'd point that out since I'm your sister.

Aim for the stars, if you miss, you'll at least land on the moon!

He who is made of air should not accuse the wind.

My mind wanders.
"Not all those who wander are lost."
Therefore, my mind is not lost.
Now, my question to those of you who doubt my sanity is this: How can someone who has not lost their mind be insane?
Telperion is offline   Reply With Quote