Re: ...

:P
Old 03-16-2000, 07:05 AM   #22
Loopy

Re

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin again! Stop it!"
Old 03-17-2000, 08:58 PM   #23
Hernalt

I recently bought the hardback conpedimum of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker series. I find his proposterousness not comedic, but provocative. Humor is after all just the juxtaposition of disparate elements, but I think he really stretches your mind if you manage not to laugh first.

It'll be great when they make it into a movie. hehe!
Old 03-17-2000, 10:05 PM   #24
The One Ring

Not necessarily.... when they tried to make it into a TV series it was pretty bad. And considering that Disney's doing the movie (I think....), they may end up making it either too farcical or too serious, either of which would ruin its absurdity.
Old 03-17-2000, 10:36 PM   #25
Loopy

Well, that's just because most of the bits that make it provocative can't really be translated to the screen, either because they're too random, or they don't involve action or dialogue that could be depicted in a movie or tv show.
Old 03-18-2000, 04:18 AM   #26
Elanor

Re: ..

The only way I can see it making any sense whatever is with a narrator and audible thoughts. Those can work okay, but I don't really have any desire to see a movie of it.
Old 03-18-2000, 09:17 AM   #27
emilsson

Re: ..

I´m with Elanor on this one. I´m not sure a movie would do the books justice.

While reading this thread I was reminded of my days in high school. I and a couple of friends loved the Hitchhiker´s Guide to the Galaxy and would go around quoting it all day long .
Old 03-18-2000, 01:34 PM   #28
Hernalt

Ok - I'll admit it would be a challenge to depict cinematically.

First off: what science fiction has been made which was deliberately funny without being farcical? SpaceBalls and Mel Brooks in general are not crafted to provoke keen appreciation, but to bust a gut in with the lamest humor available. (Or, How hard can we make the audience laugh with the minimum wit?) MysteryScience3000 is hilarious but parasitic - it can only survive by feeding on unfortunate victims, and has no life of its own if it isn't vampirising something. (Fine if you're an Anne Rice fan, I suppose.) Ice Pirates was just.. an attempt. I haven't seen Red Dwarf but I know it's high class. All in all: A movie of HGTG would be a precedent of space comedy.

Disney has plans to do it? If they go the Tristar route they can't screw up too terribly. I don't think..
Old 03-19-2000, 01:43 AM   #29
Loopy

Hernalt, I don't know which division of Disney is doing it, but last I heard, Douglas Adams himself was working on the screenplay. Other than that, I have no idea what's going on with the project. There haven't been many rumors floating around lately.
Old 03-19-2000, 01:51 AM   #30
Loopy

ok, I'm back already

Here's the lowdown, according to Corona Coming Attractions:

Studio: Hollywood Pictures.

Production Company: Unknown.

Project Phase: Development Hell.

Who's In It: Unknown.

Who's Making It: Jay Roach (Director); Douglas Adams, Jay Roach (Screenwriters); Roger Birnbaum (Producer); Douglas Adams, Robby Stamp (Executive Producers); based on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novel by Douglas Adams.

Here's the URL: www.corona.bc.ca/films/de...guide.html
Old 03-19-2000, 06:23 AM   #31
IronParrot

Re: ok, I'm back already

I couldn't imagine a film of HHGTTG without Simon Jones playing Arthur... a role he's too old for now. He was perfect in the radio series and the TV miniseries, though.

And Hernalt... yes, Red Dwarf is high-class humour.
Old 03-23-2000, 01:34 AM   #32
Darth Tater

Out to lunch, presumed fed

The only folks I can see making a successfull movie of it is Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Old 09-19-2000, 11:32 PM   #33
GlaurungTheGold

Yes, all the characters in the TV series were perfect, except for the Vogons... Arthur, Zaphod, Ford, are just how i picture them now when reading the books, and i also love the way they present the guide on-screen, it just seems like how the guide would really be to me
Old 09-24-2000, 11:00 AM   #34
dunedain lady

FOURTY-TWO!

I watch the video of Hitchhiker every time I'm out sick, and I confuse people by having DON'T PANIC on my graphing calculator "in large friendly lettere."
Old 09-24-2000, 08:02 PM   #35
Gilthalion

It has been so long since I read this series!

I heard the an installment of the radio dramatization on NPR last week or two...
Old 09-25-2000, 12:05 AM   #36
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: 42

I love the HTTG! 42!

Those were the funniest five books I've read in a while. Long live the Infinite Improbability Drive! :lol:
Old 11-15-2000, 11:12 AM   #37
Loopy

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I am looking forward to the new movie.
Old 11-16-2000, 05:15 AM   #38
Elanor

when is it happening? Do you know anything about it?
Old 11-16-2000, 07:03 AM   #39
Loopy

Other than the old stuff in this thread that was posted months ago, no. I haven't heard anything in a while.

there might, just might be something at www.douglasadams.com/ but I don't know because I haven't looked through the site in a long time.
Old 02-22-2001, 10:09 PM   #40
Elrond

To resurect an old post... I love those books. Did anyone else get the edition w/instructions on how to leave the planet in the front? I'm not sure if it was released in the USA.