Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #21
Old toby's wicked weed
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
Well, its been nearly 30 years since I was in high school, but the social groupings were still there. There were three main groups... the sport/cheerleader types were the 'Jocks', the straight A chess club acedemia folk were the 'Brains', and the partying slackers were called 'Heads' (which implied they all smoked reefer, but was not necerrily the case). of course each group had its sub groups, and it was not uncommon that someone would 'qualify' to be counted in more than one group. One guy played football and track, smoked pot, and got A's and hung out at different times with each group. But mostly folks socialized with their own kind.

welcome hello be mister snowy-dog man,

if be there 3 gruopies here at moot also too be, yes? what think you mister snowydog they be here?

much likely maybe the heads be rolling no yes ?

be it that the cheerleaders all swoon being over mr hector the sexy pants lady-man no? I read now just hje be the lady man smooth man they be all jealous be of??

be it yes maybe the brians are all be talking in philosophy and the funny mind threads, yes?

Lordy!! nice be mr snowdog man to meet you by the hand, yes?

also, other mr jrr tolkien fans here be: what think you, please?

who be what here?
Old toby's wicked weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #22
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well almost a year since a new post and now that someone found this thread again, I'm correcting the spelling of the title
Old 04-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #23
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

That's the beauty of messageboards, you can let conversations lie dormant for months or even years, and after that they can start up again with a bump just as easily.

But after re-reading this thread, I remember why again I was glad to get out of high-school! Although it never really was stereotypically bad, college was in many ways infinitely better.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:00 AM   #24
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yeah, for one, it usually makes you spell better.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Yeah, for one, it usually makes you spell better.
Speaking from personal experience *cough*: Usually yes, sadly not always.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #26
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Speaking from personal experience *cough*: Usually yes, sadly not always.

....have a chocolate frog, you'll feel better.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #27
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I liked college MUCH MUCH more than high school, too!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #28
Whispering Willow
Hobbit

High School was ok. There were the snobs, the lestadians, the hippie-like ones, the geeks and the ones who just showed up for the burgers in the cafeteria. Got along fine with all 'cept the snobs. I even got along great with the teachers. Amazing.
Whispering Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #29
Elanor's Angel
Elf Lord

Location: Hiding under my bed reading LOTR at 1:43am, Middle earth (Seattle WA)
I'm a freshie. I really dislike sterriotypes because I am sterriotyped a lot. But I think I do it too.
I say that I hang out with the geeks. We're not really. I just have a wide range of friends. I have friends who are really into musical theater, ballet friends, science friends, dramatic, into lots of bands, loud and crazy friends, skipped-a-grade-will-be-valladictorian friend(s), one or two "preps", manga friends... It goes on and on. Basically, I have a huge group of friends with varrious hobbies, likes, and dislikes. And we kinda meld into one great big accepting group. It's nice this way. We accept eachother, and are safe.
I say we are the geeks because that's what most of us call it, we don't care about cool, we just try to be true to ourselves.
My school has major cliques. I just avoid them. They tend to be very limiting. I know depending on who I'm with, I'll seem different, but that is normal.
I choose the group that can quote Monty Python, Harry Potter, the Beatles, and other fun stuff with me, that thinks I look great when I don't wear make-up, that thinks drill team could be fun for me, that thinks me spending 20 hours a week at Nutcracker rehursal is fine (and comes to my preformances with flowers for me), that can laugh, cry, give and take. That's my group. We're open to new things, we welcome outsiders. The only thing that's really absolute is our simple silent 'code of conduct'. Basically, we would never drink, smoke, or do drugs, we are unique but follow the rules as a general rule, if someone needs help, we provide it, we joke around but never cross the line, most of us have been teased at some point or another, we do not tollerate it (me particularly), and basically, we use common sence.

I know cligues are a big part of high school, ut I also think Hollywood plays it up a bit. There is a happy in-between. And just because the popular kids make it seem likr their lives are the greatest (i've seen it, it's not) does'nt mean it's what all of us want.
I'd take being a nerd over being popular anyday. And I'll wear my "Blonde with a brain" sird while I do it!

Vote Trolls' Bane/Elanor's Angel 2008!!!
Elanor's Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 PM   #30
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Elanor's Angel, you know you're actually the coolest crowd in that school then, right?

As a freshman, I was a friend to two groups. One was the kids who were in my couple of Honors and Accelerated classes, and the other was a bunch of kids who thought having ADHD was the best and most hilarious thing in the world. Naturally, I hated them both. The Honors/Acc. kids had all of their classes together, and so they formed an exlusive clique unintentionally, and became very unwelcoming. The ADHD crowd provided a break from their crappy personalities, but was equally unbearable for long periods of time. By sophomore year I had finally figured it out. Screw it. Then it wasn't until halfway through this year that I found out about exactly five other people in the school who don't care about reputation, appearance, trends, and the damn high school drama and immaturity. There used to be one more, but he got expelled. Now we're all just waiting to leave the place.

Seriously, it feels like we're in limbo now. But that's just the seven of us. No one else seems to realize quite how stupid high school society is.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #31
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well, in my school there were a lot of the typical cliques. But a lot of these cliques overlapped with the choir. Our chool choirs were huge, and there were Student council members, football players, and potheads (etc. etc. etc.) all in the choirs. I was basically JUST a choir kid, so I was friends with all tyoes of people. It was kinda cool how the music transcended the cliquiness. And also the age...I had/have several friends from highschool several years younger than I.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 05-10-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #32
Elanor's Angel
Elf Lord

My group would cringe at the term clique. It sounds like were snobbish and judgemental. Were just cool with haveing a large group of friends who are interdependant. It's great.

Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #33
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Old topic.

I'm nearly out of High School. Finally! I have 27 more school days but with trips and stuff its more like 19.

Graduation Day in T-Minus 40 Days.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM   #34
Elanor's Angel
Elf Lord

Congrads HOBBIT!!! Do you know what you are going to major in in college? (I'm assumeing your going.)

Old 05-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #35
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

communications.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #36
Rev. Justin Timberlake
Andúril the White

I never belonged to a specific group. I went in circles, but I was alone. As I am now.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #37
Elanor's Angel
Elf Lord

Hobbit- Coolness!!!

RJT- I'm sorry!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #38
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

I be alone

I knew almost everyone in high school but I was only really "friends" with two or three people.

Heh, I've been stalking my girlfriend's high school and hanging out with the geeks. Joyus!
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:06 PM   #39
Elanor's Angel
Elf Lord

Wait, are you allowed on campus???

Old 05-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #40
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

heh, I am sneaky!

and their school is so hippy that no one cares
klatukatt is offline   Reply With Quote