Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #21
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Oh Elfhelm, that's cruel and unusual punishment!

I'd get up in the middle of the night, if I were you, and at least watch the new scenes!
Oh, I know!!! Now the box is here and it's calling my name... Sar-u-mon-ke-bob hehehe You know I kept hoping they left it out of the theatrical because they secretly planned a scouring. I wish they had at least done The Choices of Master Samwise. Thanks for the warnings.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #22
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

'The Voice of Saruman' is... er... see reaction of Merry and Pippin [which is total shock and eekness] and that's mine.
I didn't understand a word Sam said in 'Sam's Warning'. Except something about "no more Stinker, no more Slinker"
The drinking game was... er... different?
I was dissappointed with Merry swearing service to Theoden.
When Gandalf choked on the smoke I nearly yelled, "Cough it up!"
The conversation between Merry and Eowyn was very good.
I waited anxiously for Sam to take the Ring from Frodo when he thought he was dead. Didn't happen.
I thought the Mouth of Sauron was pretty good. Except the decapitation that occured in the end. Aragorn at least had a semi-good excuse for it, though.
Eomer finding Eowyn was good. What creative diologue.

Your not the only one in this world, or, for that matter this state of California who counted off days, R*an.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #23
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
I waited anxiously for Sam to take the Ring from Frodo when he thought he was dead. Didn't happen.
What!? But that makes... no sense... *spasmodic twitching*

Maybe it happenned off-camera.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #24
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
The conversation between Merry and Eowyn was very good.
was this when they were at camp with the rest of Theodens army, kinda stupid to have them both so obvious, did we miss Theoden allowing Eowyn to ride to battle coz she doesnt seem to care about lying low anymore
Old 12-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #25
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Well.... I might have more to say about it after I watch it a few more times, but as I just saw it last night:

(bad stuff first)
Gimli gets one serious moment, and that was the same as the theatrical release: "Never thought I'd died fighting side-by-side with an elf." The rest of the whole stinking movie he's making an idiot out of himself- again. I'm so glad the hobbit actors didn't sell out their characters so much for a little comic relief. I think all that relief sucked the movie D-O-W=N==. Inexcusably.

All those skeletons pouring down were kind of dumb-looking.

You know, it seems every time someone has something to say, there has to be music to back them up. Why can't Howard Shore just put down his baton every once in a while and let the actor's emotion carry itself?

The corsairs were pretty stupid to stop at one guy with wet boots yelling "You shall not enter Gondor!"

What is with that dead-Arwen pic showing up everywhere?!!! Why is the scene called 'Aragorn masters the Palantir' (that's what it's called, right?), if he doesn't actually master it but drops it when he sees that idiotic image of his girl? I mean, what did he think he was gonna get from Sauron, roses and butterflies?

The Mouth Of Sauron. Um.... can you saaaayyy "Weirdo?" He's like some half-witted, extremely delusional Jim Carrey character. At least he made me thankful for toothpaste.

Frodo can't stand to walk but he asks Sam to hit him. Um, that's kind of silly. P.S. I think that if Leggy were an orc, he'd look like that dude with the whip: "Don't yew know therrrre's a warrrrrrr on, yew little maggotsss?"

Eowyn's dream. First of all, what's she doing out in the middle of the hall? Didn't her beloved uncle give her at least a room to sleep in? I thought her digression into the Irishy accent was kind of cool, though.

I've been wondering; Aragorn, Leggy and Gimli walked to Pelargir (spl?) after loosing their (un)faithful Rohan steeds.
And speaking of the Armies:
King of the Dead: The dead suffer none to enter.
Aragorn: You will suffer me!
King of the Dead: *looks at nails* I'd say "over my dead body", but...

Denethor still looks like D.W. Washburn.

Why does Gandalf sound like he's begging Merry and Pippin to be quiet at the Black Gates?

More here, but I'll save my fingers.

(good stuff)
Merry got some better stuff. His lines after Pippin and Gandalf take off on Shadowfax are really cute. And that discussion with Eowyn about why he wants to fight gave the later line "Courage, Merry; Courage for our friends" a whole new spin. I did like the look on his face when Theoden accepted his sword. T: "You shall be Esquire of Rohan..." M:"Kewlie!" Merry's new fight stuff was pretty cool too.

The Armies of the Dead taking over the ships was a better intro for the Dead than when they show up in Minas Tirith.

Although it was not anywhere near sufficent, I did like seeing a bit of Faramir and Eowyn at the Houses of Healing.

And my favorite edition as of now was surely Eomer finding Eowyn stricken upon the field. His horror and anguish are so stark and raw. Very gripping.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #26
Durin1
Elven Warrior

I agree with most of what you said RG, especially about the Palantir scene! Could have been done better.

Eowyn and Merry's speech together was one of the best bits in the EE.

And of course, because of my affiliation with the Dwarves I was disgusted at how Gimli was STILL being portrayed in the movie.

The Mouth of Sauron was my biggest disappointment (along with VoS and Gandalf Vs WiKi). And I found your Jim Carey comparison funny!

I always thought of him as a tall Numenorean-type figure, noble-looking but also sinister, with a high(ish) voice. What we get is some weirdo with a chronic neck problem and in desperate need of some serious dental hygiene.
Aragorn decapitating him, going against the rules of warfare, doesn't help either ( I was actually inclined to laugh).
Old 12-15-2004, 11:39 AM   #27
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I was 'inclined to laugh' more times than I care to say. We had a little party to commemorate the EE, and I'm afraid it turned into a bit of a joke-fest. But, that happens with the most serious of movies with us, so I guess it's not so much of an insult.

Durin- I'm so happy that someone else has almost the same impression of the Mouth as me!!!!! Tall- forgive the expression- willowy- Numenorian, pale skin like he hasn't seen the light of day in a million years, high voice- kind of a very refined Grima. You'd certainly see his eyes and his nose. He'd be a believeable candidate for master of Orthanc. Very condescending. I don't know if anyone's read the Left Behind series (which I got disgusted with and stopped reading a long time ago), but I always pictured the Mouth to be a bit like Carpathia. Not some "Hi, and welcome to Mordor." *huge, disgusting smile* "I'll be your tour guide today. Please save any questions until after the tour is complete."

AND WHAT WAS WITH GANDALF PRACTICALLY BOWING TO THAT GUY???? What happened to the White Wizard? Doesn't that count for something? What about "THESE we will take in memory of our friend!"?????

Old 12-15-2004, 12:08 PM   #28
Durin1
Elven Warrior

With regards to Gandalf:

His character is a bit inconsistent (to say the least). One minute he's exerting his authority by breaking Saruman's staff, the next, he's falling off his horse and getting his own staff broken! Weird! What then is the significance of breaking a Wizard's staff?

What is it with that coughing scene? Take some cough medicine, Oh Wise One.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #29
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I didn't like that version of the scene, either. I thought it made his delivery of the line "Guard of the *cough*-el indeed"- but other than that it just seemed like another "You smoke too much" kind of line. C'mon, people!

Old 12-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #30
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I listened to some of the cast commentary last night - the cough thing was them trying to be PC and show the evils of smoking because they got complaints about the smoking going on

And I wondered about Eowyn sleeping in the hall, too - doesn't that girl have a bedroom of her own? I mean, the niece of the king?!

Yes, the Jim Carrey comparison is a good one! Too bad they couldn't have played that scene with more restrained evil, which is creepier.

And what's with Gandy's staff being broken by the Witch King? (btw, listening to the cast commentary, that Lawrence Mac-something guy played both the WK and the bumpy-orc-guy, as well as Lurz or whatever that guy was in FOTR. He sure didn't know his Tolkien - he thought "Nazgul" was the fell beast! He kept referring to "riding his Nazgul"!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #31
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Heh, heh. Those pitiful Tolkien-illiterates, eh? It's just too bad for them... especially since they play in the stinking movie! Man. I read Sean Astin's book and it dissapointed me how much he didn't know about the story. Even in the FotR commentary PJ shows his simplicity on more than one occasion. These movies were based on the books, but who, along the line, actually read the whole thing?

He played LURTZ, too? Is there no end to this kind of economy? I would have drawn the line with Gimli/Treebeard.

Last edited by Rosie Gamgee : 12-15-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:51 PM   #32
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Well, with 2 of the 3 characters, you can't even see his face at all, so it doesn't bother me that he played more than one. But it did bug me that the only character of the 3 that is actually in the book, the WK, he doesn't realize is a Nazgul! I wonder if he realized it's a Black Rider, too ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:10 PM   #33
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
He played LURTZ, too? Is there no end to this kind of economy? I would have drawn the line with Gimli/Treebeard.
he is just the body for these characters though, i dont see your point, whats bad about a big guy playing multiple big guys?
The thing i was thinking through that whole Eowyn's Dream scene was were are all the Rohan drunks, as if most of them wouldnt have passed out where they were
Old 12-16-2004, 02:36 AM   #34
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
was this when they were at camp with the rest of Theodens army, kinda stupid to have them both so obvious, did we miss Theoden allowing Eowyn to ride to battle coz she doesnt seem to care about lying low anymore
My thoughts exactly. My first words when I saw that scene were, "She shouldn't have her helmet off! She's supposed to be incognito!"

I was also disappointed that there was no Ghan-buri-Ghan, and I didn't like the avalanche of skulls in the Paths of the Dead. Other than that, I really liked it. At least the death of Saruman explained how the Palantir got into the water. Oh, and Aragorn is still the biggest wuss in Middle-Earth when it comes to looking to Palantiri.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:53 PM   #35
Nimbrethil
Sapling

I think, Sarumas death is very bad.
isn´t the rigth ending for a big and early grandios wizzard!

And, kno someone of you, where the eastereggs in the SEE ?
i can´t find them...
Old 12-16-2004, 04:51 PM   #36
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Heh, heh. Those pitiful Tolkien-illiterates, eh? It's just too bad for them... especially since they play in the stinking movie! Man. I read Sean Astin's book and it dissapointed me how much he didn't know about the story. Even in the FotR commentary PJ shows his simplicity on more than one occasion. These movies were based on the books, but who, along the line, actually read the whole thing?
How many of the actor's have actually read the book? If a 12 year old can read the whole thing in 15 days (for the first time) can't they??

I've noticed I started critisizing the movies after I joined Entmoot.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #37
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I think Sean Astin did a great job with Sam's character. Imagine if he read the books more! Then he would realize that Sam is the real hero and he would know that PJ was just giving the Reader's Digest version of the books.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:19 AM   #38
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i haven't got time to comment much right now, but i saw it yesterday. and all i have to say is; the Mouth of Sauron was hilarious. i laughed my ass off! but that's not a good thing, right?..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #39
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
i haven't got time to comment much right now, but i saw it yesterday. and all i have to say is; the Mouth of Sauron was hilarious. i laughed my ass off! but that's not a good thing, right?..
Agreed! How people could find MoS creepy is beyond me

The whole scene, though, was a joke: Gandalf's dopey look and behaviour;Aragorn's

As well as toothpaste, someone should have given The Mouth some deep-heat cream for that neck of his. What was it with all that neck movement?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #40
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Ah rats!! I told my wife the only thing I really wanted for Christmas this year was the EE of ROTK (and, of course... Peace on Earth! ) ... when what I REALLY shoulda done was just gone out and BOUGHT it on the 14th... and WATCHED it by now!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote