Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

SGH is, I believe, right. The two trees waxed and waned according to the time-span of the sun & moon ... which WAS their direct 'descendent', so-to-speak.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #22
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
yeah, I have this chart of the exact amounts of time of the waxing and waneing, if I find it I'll post it up
Old 01-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #23
Blackheart
Elf Lord

uhh... you all know that time is relative right?

The question is not whether 5 seconds on a hot stove is longer than 5 seconds kissing a pretty girl... It's whether 5 seconds on a hot stove is longer for an elf or a man... or whether 100 years in jail is longer for an elf than a man...

Time is relative according to the observer. Since elves observe more time (total) than men, the extreme boundries will be compressed, but the present, the nearest observed events, will be about the same.... (think of time as an X axis, and lifespan as a y axis, put a reverse bell curve on it...)

So 5 seconds, a day, a week, is probably perceived about the same. But years, decades, millenia... those are compressed, and experienced differently. Just how differently is a matter of speculation...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #24
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

That bellcurve theory sounds pretty good. I'm gonna go think about it for a while...

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:24 PM   #25
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I agree with Blackheart here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
You're missing the point. Completely. Men, Elves, and Valar are all subject to time - one second passes at the same speed for everyone, unless some sort of temporal distortion has occured (which it hasn't). If they did exist in an altered time rate, humans would move twice as fast as elves and ten times as fast as the valar (basically). That's just not the way it works.
I would have to wonder what the case is with places such as Lothlorien and Rivendell in the Third Age. Can you not claim that the Rings of Power themselves effected the passage of time... Especially Lothlorien. This is why Wayfarer's comment struck me. It almost seems (to me at least) that a temporal distortion has occurred. Frodo's comment, for example:

"In that land, maybe, we were in a time that has elsewhere long gone by."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I forget exactly how it was explained about how time passed in Valinor in the Years of the Trees, but they went through cycles of 12 twelve hours, and one would wax ehile the other waned.
And yet a Valinorean year was equivalent to 10 years of the sun. I wonder if this was experienced as one or as ten...

I commented on Valinor earlier because I remembered reading something about the lifespans of other creatures in Valinor being longer (does someone know what I'm talking about, it's been a while...), which was part of the reason Men could not live there...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #26
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Well.. if you think about it, a man living in valinor would expereince the present just the same as he always did.
But if somehow his perception of time were changed (remember that bell curve) then it would seem to him that indeed his end came on swiftly... because he would have aquired an elvish perception of time.

Just the thing for a ring bearer weary of life....

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:28 PM   #27
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Yes. I personally do not see how one can feel anything but short-lived when everything around one remains relatively unchanged... And that probably works the opposite way as well, with the Eldar in ME. It all is perception, and like you've said before, Blackheart, that perception changes with the circumstances...

It kind of reminds me what SGH said earlier: "I don't think that the Elves even considered the passage of time until they met Men and especially when Men died. [...] So, the notice and effects of time came with Men to the Elves maybe."

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 AM   #28
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Possibly. The "waning" of the elves starts when men awaken... But by then it's the second age... The elves are no longer "young"... not as a race. The swift days of the sun may have also contributed to the elves' sense of world weariness...

Old 01-30-2005, 02:20 AM   #29
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I think that Elves and humans probably experience the present pretty much in the same way. An hour or two probably feels equally long to each. But the past and the future would be different. Ten years, a hundred years, a thousand years in the past or the future would seem much closer to an Elf than to a human.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #30
Holbytla
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuiliel
I think that Elves and humans probably experience the present pretty much in the same way. An hour or two probably feels equally long to each. But the past and the future would be different. Ten years, a hundred years, a thousand years in the past or the future would seem much closer to an Elf than to a human.
Hmm, hope I get this " quote thingie" right..! Well, it seems ( to me anyway) that the past and the future is more present (!), than the - present? How able are we really to grasp the present, really? Don't we often make plans and ponder over things that have happened, and things that may happen than the actual moment? I wonder if Elves are the same? Or would the moment be more crucial to an immortal being? It may sound like a contradiction, since one would think that it is more important for a mortal to " live in the moment" so to speak.

Holbytla
Holbytla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:39 AM   #31
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytla
Hmm, hope I get this " quote thingie" right..! Well, it seems ( to me anyway) that the past and the future is more present (!), than the - present? How able are we really to grasp the present, really? Don't we often make plans and ponder over things that have happened, and things that may happen than the actual moment? I wonder if Elves are the same? Or would the moment be more crucial to an immortal being? It may sound like a contradiction, since one would think that it is more important for a mortal to " live in the moment" so to speak.

Holbytla
Well... you bring up some interesting points, Holbytla. The Elves are known to live (at least by the time the Third Age came around) more in the past than the present. Gimli, for example, notes that for Elves "memory is more like to the waking world than to a dream" (FOTR, Farewell to Lórien). I think that for the Elves, the past is more important than the present, hence the fading...

If one holds the belief that there really is no present (as I believe I do)... that there is simply past and future, and the point where they meet... then I suppose that perception of time would depend on how you see the past and the future... I wonder... But it's getting too late now and I'll have to think on this further.

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #32
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I think I worded what I said wrong. I didn't percisely mean the present but more the near past and future -- within a day, or at most a week.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 02-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #33
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Well... you bring up some interesting points, Holbytla. The Elves are known to live (at least by the time the Third Age came around) more in the past than the present. Gimli, for example, notes that for Elves "memory is more like to the waking world than to a dream" (FOTR, Farewell to Lórien). I think that for the Elves, the past is more important than the present, hence the fading...

If one holds the belief that there really is no present (as I believe I do)... that there is simply past and future, and the point where they meet... then I suppose that perception of time would depend on how you see the past and the future... I wonder... But it's getting too late now and I'll have to think on this further.
That is very filosofic. I have never really thought about how I see time. But I think I see time as you say. There is no real present, it is just future and past. But what is it when they meet? that ceartainly have to be present. Or... I have to think about this when I'm not so tired.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:09 AM   #34
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

There is a present, but it's only an instant long at a time. But sometimes you have to consider a longer span of time "the present" relative to other times, hundreds or thousands of years early or later... which is what I meant.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:01 AM   #35
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethuiliel
There is a present, but it's only an instant long at a time. But sometimes you have to consider a longer span of time "the present" relative to other times, hundreds or thousands of years early or later... which is what I meant.
It's an interesting topic in general, but probably not to be argued in depth here. If you ever want to take it over to GM, I'd be happy to oblige.

Ethuiliel, I have to ask you, though, what exactly is an instant? It can't be the same as a second, because by the time you reach the second quarter of a second, the first is in the past and the rest is still in the future. And you could break it up even further.

Infinitesimally.

So... what exactly is time?

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #36
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Time is the wrapper around the candy of the universe...

Don't bother to try and understand it or I'll explain it to you....