Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2004, 04:16 PM   #21
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

It was question
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #22
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
It was question
Heh, I read it as 'but they would have taken it...' You should really consider to start writing question marks in end of questions.

Eh, I don't think they would.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #23
Telcontar_Dunedain

Why not? If they saw something they could have with it why not take it. For those who had never left Valinor maybe they could have their own elven kingdom in ME.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #24
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Why not? If they saw something they could have with it why not take it. For those who had never left Valinor maybe they could have their own elven kingdom in ME.
But they didn't want it - and they still had their own will. I also think they might've felt something evil in the Ring. Anyway, in theory, they wouldn't have the chnace saying 'no', or 'yes' to the Ring, The Valar would not allow them to take it, they'd warn them.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #25
Telcontar_Dunedain

Why was Gandalf tempted then. He was a Maia who were more powerful than the elves.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #26
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Why was Gandalf tempted then. He was a Maia who were more powerful than the elves.
(question marks, if you don't mind. It helps me understand sentences.. Sorry...)

Well, Gandalf did feel the Ring was dangerous, didn't he? (He might've not, can't remmber)
Old 09-10-2004, 04:49 PM   #27
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well why didn't the elves of Valinor regard it as dangerous?

Old 09-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #28
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Well why didn't the elves of Valinor regard it as dangerous?
If they knew about it, which I beg to doubt, they would have regarded it as incredibly dangerous. As for wanting kingdoms in Middle-earth, they had already been tempted by that, and only those who fell left with Fëanor; with him or against him, like Galadriel.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #29
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hypothetically speaking, if the Vanyar or the Teleri ever received the Ring, I wonder what it would try to tempt them with. In my mind I can see the Ring going over a checklist with possible temptations.
The One Ring to a Valinor Elf: I can get you your own kingdom, you know... What? You're not interested? Why not? ....Because you don't want it, what's that for a stupid answer? Okay, scratch the kingdom.*checks off point on checklist* .... Would you like to preserve your realm for all of eternity? I can do that too.... What do you say, the Valar are already doing that for you? *dark mutterings while the Ring checks off another point of his list* ....How about some great victories, battles won, prowness with weapons, everybody looking up to you and bowing down in the dust? ... No battles or weapons in Valinor, you say. Not even the tiniest nail cutter? No? Sigh. *throws away checklist* ... Look here Elf, is there anything you want? Anything at all? I can do every thing, you know, get you everything you want. So what's your greatest desire? .... A crumpet and a pretty song?! Is that all you want?! That's it, I give up, even evil Rings like me have their breaking point....
Old 09-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #30
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pytt
then gandalv should be able to break it, for isn't he the greatest of the maiar, or at least one of them? maybe he could not do it while in middelearth, but would he be able to do it in the Blessed Realm? but i think even the elves in Valinor would be attracted and corrupted of it, though they are much different from the elves in middelearth, they are no more than elves, and they don't have powers like sauron.

When saying equal or greater power it is not refering to... "Power" it is refering to Saurons smithing power and knowledge, aule's ultimate smithing skill. Perhaps one of the Noldor, feanor perhaps, could have unmade the rings. I think that Saruman in many hundred years could have learned enough to unmake the ring. It is not simply equal or greater in pure Power.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #31
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I agree. Part of the Ring's power is self-preservation. One is not suppose to consider harm to the lovely (and valuable) thing. Sauron would be a fool not to put such a spell on the Ring, what with all the power he bound up in it.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:12 AM   #32
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbarad of the Dunedain
When saying equal or greater power it is not refering to... "Power" it is refering to Saurons smithing power and knowledge, aule's ultimate smithing skill. Perhaps one of the Noldor, feanor perhaps, could have unmade the rings. I think that Saruman in many hundred years could have learned enough to unmake the ring. It is not simply equal or greater in pure Power.
I don' think that Feanor or Saruman would have been able to unmake the Ring however many years they studied it or tried but I do think Aule could. If someone can make the dwarves then surely they can unmske the Ring.

Old 09-12-2004, 04:56 AM   #33
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

But Sauron was in the beggining justa humble Maia of aule, the same as Saruman! Under Morgoths instruction Sauron become what he was. Saruman I think could have gained the same power... he was of the same order, in a sense. Fëanor would be a little more difficult to argue, but still not that hard. For Fëanor created the Silmarils, three jewels beyond the desire or craftsmanship of the one ring. They were not made for the same purpose but they have a similarity and so I think even Fëanor could have potentialy destroyed the one ring.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:30 AM   #34
Telcontar_Dunedain

Sauron could not unmake the Ring unless he dropped in into Orodruin.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #35
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Sauron could not unmake it without that action only because he would have been too weak without the ring. Though I don't see Sauron destroying it. If you mean Saruman then I think you may be wrong, in my oppinion at least. I think that a Maia of similar order to the creater of the one ring could in time destory the ring, possibly witha greater ring of his own!?

Old 09-12-2004, 06:35 AM   #36
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well Saruman couldn't make a powerful Ring of his own so I think that unmakinng would be a task to great for him.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #37
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

At that time. Sauron had what, nearly 3 ages to learn to make a great ring! Saruman had 300 years!? Its a matter of understanding, and Saruman was a craftsman, a maia of aule as was saruman, a craftsman of aule. Perhaps Sauron was in his youth equaly as powerful as Curiniur? Sauron just decided to follow Morgoth and learned the evilness of his power and gained many skills. Saruman only started when the ring was discovered still alive, around the time of the Hobbit! So really he only had a matter of like 100 years. Give him 3 ages and Curinir could be... Curinir, Lord of the Earings!

Old 09-12-2004, 06:43 AM   #38
Telcontar_Dunedain

But Sauron learnt from Morgoth. He, along with Manwe was the most powerful Vala.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:05 AM   #39
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

But Morgoth was not as powerful as all the other Valar. Each of the others held a power he was partial to, Aule to his smithing, so in smithing aule would rock Morgoth. Also it is mentioned that Aule was most like to Morgoth so he must have been pretty damn tough. anyhow, perhaps Curinur learns under sauron, lies, returns to valinor, learns under aule, returns and kills sauron! and becomes Curinur, Lord of the Anklets!

Old 09-12-2004, 07:07 AM   #40
Telcontar_Dunedain

At the beginning of the Sil it says that Melkor was the most powerful of the Valar.