Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2004, 01:13 PM   #21
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Two principal themes of breek tragedy, hubirs and a fall from an exalted condition are show twice (and more) in Turin, in the episode in Doriath, and in Nargothrond.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #22
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Túrin could have chose differently but he didn't. If Morgoth could control so easily Men, why didn't he curse more of them? He could have cursed those who rebelled against him, but he didn't.
Exactly! Why didn't he choose differently? Because he was influneced by the curse. And you ask why Morgoth didn't curse other people? How do you know it was easy for him to curse Hurin's family? Maybe it was very difficult and he only did it out of spite and the desire to see Hurin suffer.

Quote:
How do we know of the rewards that Men might have after the end of their lives outside of Arda? My guess is that Túrin is not alone either, and that there were other men in the service of Morgoth that were slaves all of their lives. At least Túrin had a chance.
As to the rewards after Arda, I never questioned that. Turin would be rewarded in the after life. But why did he suffer so on ME? It's sort of like the biblical story of Job. Satan cursed him out of spite. So he suffered terrible misery. The only difference is that Job held on to his faith while Turin didn't. So curses are only effective on earth. When it comes to the after-life, Morgoth's curse wouldn't folow Turin there.
About slaves who spent their lives serving Morgoth:
These were taken as prisoners in a war, but when you're contemplating a man who is apparently "free" you wonder why he suffers so much...

I hope I made some sense up there (it's 12:45 a.m. here)
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #23
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
If Morgoth could control so easily Men, why didn't he curse more of them? He could have cursed those who rebelled against him, but he didn't.
Well, here we are inserting either minor or non existing characters in the story. We don't know how many other Men he cursed, if any. But we must remember that Hurin was a main character and enemy of Morgoth along with Huor in the Nirnaith. Morgoth probably could have cared less about Hurin or his kin, but more about finding the location of Gondolin. The curse of allowing Hurin to live 20 some odd years in captivity and see the events happening to his family through Morgoth's eyes seemed to be an ineffective intimidation tactic on Morgoth's part. However, with a little help from his servants and their influence, and a combination of Turin's prideful bad choices, the curse was effective in the end upon Hurin's release. By him calling out to Turgon in the proximatey of Gondolin and in ear shot of enemy spies, Hurin provided Morgoth with the very thing he sought all the years of his captivity, and Gondolin was found.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:34 PM   #24
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Exactly! Why didn't he choose differently? Because he was influneced by the curse. And you ask why Morgoth didn't curse other people? How do you know it was easy for him to curse Hurin's family? Maybe it was very difficult and he only did it out of spite and the desire to see Hurin suffer.
Túrin has to take responsability for his actions. Túrin is not a puppet. If it was so easy for Morgoth to control him then why would he allow Túrin to kill Glaurung?
Quote:
The curse of allowing Hurin to live 20 some odd years in captivity and see the events happening to his family through Morgoth's eyes seemed to be an ineffective intimidation tactic on Morgoth's part. However, with a little help from his servants and their influence, and a combination of Turin's prideful bad choices, the curse was effective in the end upon Hurin's release. By him calling out to Turgon in the proximatey of Gondolin and in ear shot of enemy spies, Hurin provided Morgoth with the very thing he sought all the years of his captivity, and Gondolin was found.
Gondolin was found because of Maeglin. If Morgoth knew of the location of Gondolin, why did he wait for the capture of Maeglin? And the curse was not fulfilled in it's entirety. Morwen waited for Húrin to return. If she had lost all hope she would have not waited for her husband.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:56 PM   #25
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Túrin has to take responsability for his actions. Túrin is not a puppet. If it was so easy for Morgoth to control him then why would he allow Túrin to kill Glaurung?
He was not a puppet, no, but I believe the curse did affect of his judgement, in some ways. Are you suggesting that the curse of Morgoth, the mightiest creature within Arda, didn't have any effect upon Túrin's fate?
Old 06-05-2004, 03:05 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I would say at that point, that Glaurung had served his purpose.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #27
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair:
Glaurung had served his purpose.
Can't agree with you there. There was war raging on in Beleriand; surely Morgoth would still find some use to Glaurung beyond dooming Hurin's family.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros:
If it was so easy for Morgoth to control him then why would he allow Túrin to kill Glaurung?
I would remind you that killing Glaurung delivered the final blow that sealed the fates of Turin and Nienor. Only while dying did Glaurung lift the spell off their minds so that they knew who they were and each of them eventually committed suicide. So Morgoth allowed Glaurung to be killed in order to give Turin the KO
Old 06-09-2004, 03:26 PM   #28
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
He was not a puppet, no, but I believe the curse did affect of his judgement, in some ways. Are you suggesting that the curse of Morgoth, the mightiest creature within Arda, didn't have any effect upon Túrin's fate?
To answer a question with a question:
Are you suggesting that the gift of Ilúvatar to men to shape their own fates could be altered by Morgoth?
Quote:
I would remind you that killing Glaurung delivered the final blow that sealed the fates of Turin and Nienor. Only while dying did Glaurung lift the spell off their minds so that they knew who they were and each of them eventually committed suicide. So Morgoth allowed Glaurung to be killed in order to give Turin the KO
There were other ways to achieve that purpose without the demise of Glaurung, the Foalókë. I'm sure that:
Quote:
Morgoth would still find some use to Glaurung beyond dooming Hurin's family.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:45 AM   #29
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
To answer a question with a question:
Are you suggesting that the gift of Ilúvatar to men to shape their own fates could be altered by Morgoth?
Nope but I'm suggesting he could cloud people's judgement or make them see only the worst sides of matters.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:57 AM   #30
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
There were other ways to achieve that purpose without the demise of Glaurung
What other ways do you suggest? Morgoth couldn't exactly communicate with Glaurung and tell him to undo his memory spell. And there wasn't really any birth marks on either Turin or Nienor's bodies to help them recognize one another.

As to Morgoth having more purpose for Glaurung, I don't doubt it (after all, I posted it ) but I think that he saw Turin's doom important enough to sacrifice Glaurung's life. Want proof of this importance? Morgoth went out of his way to punish Hurin and curse his family while he was busy with a full-scale war that threatened him.

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Nope but I'm suggesting he could cloud people's judgement or make them see only the worst sides of matters.
I agree. In fact this fits with the Christian doctrine and shows its influence on Tolkien's work. In Christianity, Satan can cloud other poeple's judgement and influence their perception. This occured also in the Third Age when Sauron showed Denethor huge orc armies through the Palantir, which led Denethor to madness and suicide in the end.

Last edited by Beren3000 : 06-10-2004 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:46 PM   #31
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
You find Beren having to face Morgoth, Aragorn having to face Sauron and Frodo carries the Ring etc...
Yes some people have faced Morgoth or Sauron and come out with success but others didn't. Both Isildur and Boromir were corrupted by the Ring and the Nazgûl were once great kings of Men corrupted by Sauron. These people weren't bad people just, as most men, easily corrupted and overruled and they have made some mistakes. Turin was a good man with good intentions just to easil overruled

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 11-09-2004 at 03:44 AM.
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote