The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
ahahahahahahahaa
true to the smily, i am confused...
Old 04-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #22
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

The only thing gothic about MM is their image, from the songs I heard by them it sounds like metal witha heavy dosage of power chords.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 03:03 AM   #23
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
The only thing gothic about MM is their image, from the songs I heard by them it sounds like metal witha heavy dosage of power chords.
well please inform me what Goth is, what makes music gothic?, the reason i said are/were Gothic is because although i dont really think of Manson as being gothic blah blah blah (and im sure i read somewhere that he doesnt think of himself as Gothic either) i do think that Antichrist Superstar seemed to fit into my (incredibly vague) definition of Gothic music, also more recently the song Spade... what about Reznor, any disputes there
Old 04-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #24
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
well please inform me what Goth is, what makes music gothic?, the reason i said are/were Gothic is because although i dont really think of Manson as being gothic blah blah blah (and im sure i read somewhere that he doesnt think of himself as Gothic either) i do think that Antichrist Superstar seemed to fit into my (incredibly vague) definition of Gothic music, also more recently the song Spade... what about Reznor, any disputes there
I know saying that someone is gothic is a stereotype, however I was making a point.. I think many people just assume that since MM dresses a certain way that makes his music gothic. And to define gothic music isn't quite easy if you would like to include all the different subgenres. However, gothic music in general contains dark, depressing lyrics, ambient music and slow tempo, female and male singers with a wide range of vocals, keyboards or piano are commonly used as well as other instruments (not including guitar, bass and drums).

Like I said before the songs I have heard from MM all contained metalish guitar riffs and the music sounded rather angry and thrashy. I don't know about the guitarist much but his knowledge seems to be lacking because every song I have heard contains mainly of mindless power chords any angry 16 teenager could come up with. The best i.e. would be the beautiful people.

I would consider Reznor to be gothic metal which is a subgenre of gothic music, his lyrics are dark, the use of keyboards or whatever digital syn NIN uses creates an ambient feel, and then the guitar is very metalish. However, MM isn't gothic metal in my opinion, from the music I've heard off his older albums... it just doesn't contain anything from what I have stated above. (I haven't heard any of his newer stuff and I don't care too) He has that "heavy"/"thrashy" metal sound to his music.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-18-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:34 PM   #25
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I love Evanescence! But I don't think that their goth...maybe tame goth but not REAL goth....just rock music
I think they are rock with gothic influence mainly in their lyrics.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:02 AM   #26
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
I know saying that someone is gothic is a stereotype, however I was making a point.. I think many people just assume that since MM dresses a certain way that makes his music gothic. And to define gothic music isn't quite easy if you would like to include all the different subgenres. However, gothic music in general contains dark, depressing lyrics, ambient music and slow tempo, female and male singers with a wide range of vocals, keyboards or piano are commonly used as well as other instruments (not including guitar, bass and drums).
id agree with some of what you say there, but your getting a bit specific, to class something as Goth is a very broad statement, i even took the time to look it up to see what the dictionary said and it was "A style of rock music that often evokes bleak, lugubrious imagery." i guess a lot of it must be pinned down to interpretation and i do think enough of Manson's music is depressing for someone to justify calling Manson goth. No i was never going to justify my point by refering to his appearence...
Quote:
Like I said before the songs I have heard from MM all contained metalish guitar riffs and the music sounded rather angry and thrashy. I don't know about the guitarist much but his knowledge seems to be lacking because every song I have heard contains mainly of mindless power chords any angry 16 teenager could come up with. The best i.e. would be the beautiful people.
again as i always seem to have to explain Manson's music isnt simply about playing some extremely complicated piece of music with no meaning whatsoever, its like writing a book with really great use of language but having no story and making no sense, it is stupid to use that to try and discredit the guitarists abilities, John 5 who was the guitarist was incredibly talented, he is now going on to make his own instrumental album after playing with Les Paul... again im not sure if you interpret Manson different to me or you just havent heard that much...
Quote:
I would consider Reznor to be gothic metal which is a subgenre of gothic music, his lyrics are dark, the use of keyboards or whatever digital syn NIN uses creates an ambient feel, and then the guitar is very metalish. However, MM isn't gothic metal in my opinion, from the music I've heard off his older albums... it just doesn't contain anything from what I have stated above. (I haven't heard any of his newer stuff and I don't care too) He has that "heavy"/"thrashy" metal sound to his music.
have you listened to anything on Holy Wood, hmmm sure id agree some of his songs are pretty much as you describe them but theres such a variety from song to song that you cant try and some up his music with a word like thrashy. i was just curious with Reznor because i think that maybe in his earlier days he was Goth but i would say he's moved on a bit since then...
again i dont really like using Goth to describe Manson or Reznor but anyway.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #27
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Are we arguing over definitions again?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #28
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Not really, he asked to define gothic music which I did and what it boils down is matter of opinion. As for talented guitarists... we have different opinions of what makes a good guiatrists. Not all guitarists I listen to are technical masters at their fretboard, I also like bands who write lyrics with meaning. I can give many examples of skilled guitarists who also send a message to their listeners through their music and lyrics. Neither opinion is better than the other just different.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:15 AM   #29
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Does anyone remember The Cult?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #30
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Does anyone remember The Cult?
i know of the cult
bit young to remember, though!
i like siouxsie and the banshees
and sisters of mercy
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:22 AM   #31
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Dear Prudence by Siouxsie et al and She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult are two of my all-time favourites.

Spot the old git.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #32
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Dear Prudence by Siouxsie et al and She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult are two of my all-time favourites.

Spot the old git.
spot the old git? ^up there^ look!
my dad has always had a crush on siouxsie sioux!!
my best siouxsie album is Rapture
and my best Sisters of Mercy album is A Slight Case of Overbombing
Old 04-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #33
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
I'll have to check them out. In my opinion no-one can beat HIM though!

Have you heard of The Rasmus?
No I have not, I'm going to search for them on kazaa... wish me luck.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:30 PM   #34
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Just downloaded a bunch of HIM and I like them very much. The Rasmus are pretty good... HIM is where it is at.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:54 AM   #35
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

seeing as how this is my thread,
i suppose i ought to say summat!

i like the rasmus