Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #21
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Given PJ's penchant for changing elements of LOTR and enlarging Arwen's role, might he have considered a mudwrestling match during Helm's Deep between Eowyn and Arwen? (Ending inconclusively when the Rohirrim charge)

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #22
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I loved the charge of the Rohirrim. I simply adore the way they all expect to die, and they give it a little wink before charging by shouting "DEATH!" Eowyn shouting the word, even though it might betray her, and Merry, afraid as all get out but hanging on for his friends and for his fair lady, are both so touching. I like how Theoden rides and hits his sword against their spears, almost as if imparting a king's blessing on them, and honoring those in the front lines- the first ones to die. The desparation and the will-power behind this comparatively small calvary against the power of Mordor makes it so triumphant. I love how they charge without any hesitation even though some of them die without even getting to kill anything. The best part is seeing them get about a half a mile (okay, exaduration here) into the ranks of orcs before their charge is stopped.

One thing I do like about my first choice, the battle on Amon Hen, is that in the first movie there was less 'movie stuff'. Legolas shot two arrows at once at the troll, but that was believable. He used another to stab an Uruk in the face, but that was just cool, and not far-fetched. Gimli fights with gusto, Aragorn with grace, and Boromir with all the desperate bravado of a doomed man. It's beautiful to see the different races and personalities weilding weapons against a common foe, and each of their own races and personalities shining through the way they fight, but without putting a glittery spot-light on any theatrics. I think it's the only fight in which Leggy actually gets dirty, too.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:22 AM   #23
aki
Hobbit

i like the battle at helm's deep.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:50 PM   #24
Gerbil
Elf Lord

My vote is with Rosie, Amon Hen is the best.
The main issue I have is that the battles themslves, from the start of TTT onwards, are just too big in scope.
While they are all excellent, they are just set pieces for Massive.
There's no real human element.

However, PJ gets arounjd this by doing the emotional stuff before the battles, and this is where I think he shows his directorial skills (as opposed to his screenplay writing 'abilities'). The build up to Helms Deep is amazing, and the bit before the charge of the Rohirrim, well, what can I say, it still brings tears to my eye.

I find it funny now, being able to watch all the battles, how as the film progresses the cameras use increasingly wide angled lenses to take in the scope. While this is in line with the book and the needs to see the battle, it does kind of reduce the participants to a couple of pixels of on-screen glory.

As such, it's the up close nitty gritty with people I care about that makes it for me, and in fact I have a favourite shot too! On Amon hen after Boromir blows his horn first, there's one single long shot from Aragorn's reaction all the way to Boromir fighting. It starts up close to Aragorn then heads off through the trees getting higher and higher. Brilliant as far as I'm concerned.

Gandalf vs Balrog was amazing, but I simply don't really count it as a battle.

I tend to like specific parts of the battles, not treat them as a whole. EG Helms Deep - I like it when orcs first scale the wall and the 'wave' of ladders is raised. Similarly when Eomer returns to the rescue.
The ents marching to war (as well as the few seconds when Treebeard throws the rock at the orcs followed by the Hobbits (where he says 'a hit, a fine hit!' makes me shiver!

In almost all cases, it's obvious to me that the music plays an extremely significant part of this, and again I can't stress how much I think the film success owes to the amazing music.

Disappointing battle? The grand finale outside the black gates. Not because of the inconsistencies, nor the smallness of Aragorn's force, but because of how they are all destroyed when the ring dies. Convenient caverns appearing? I think not :/
Old 03-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #25
Glorfindel_of_Gondolin
Hobbit

My favorite battle is in FOTR, with the Fall of Boromir.

The fact that he realises that the ring has taken him, and he has betrayed frodo's trust, and then atones for his failings trying to defend Merry and Pippin, just inspires.

And even though he fails in that endevour, as he does fall and pippin and merry are taken, I have always felt that his actions showed his true character, as yet another good man corrupted by the One Ring.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:18 PM   #26
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

This is tough....
Last Alliance... Boromir's death... Helms Deep... Pelennor Fields...

I have to say my favorite is Osgoliath & the orcs D-Day invasion.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #27
Vicky
Enting

I'm not shure if it can count as a fighting sceen but I liked the last march of the Ents against Isengard the most: nature vs. industry.

Although I must say that the battle on the Pelennnor feelds is also very good, especially when Legolas kills the Mumakil and Gimli says: "that only counts for one"....
ALWAYS GO THEIR SEPARATE WAYS
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #28
Sono
Hobbit

My favourit fight is helms deep!
I like this scene so much!
Legolas and Gimli! *lol*
That's funny ^^

But the fight in Minas Thirith (what's Minas Thirith in english? I don't know. sorry!) in RotK I like, too.
In Germany the RotK DVD comes out this week

I must say, its very difficuld to understand the postings at this page! At school we never learn this words! And I must know. I'm the besst student in my english class...
But I try

Wenn Sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. Genauer gesagt, auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst nicht weit von Irrwitz und Idiotie.
Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:56 PM   #29
Garbo
Hobbit

Sam vs. Shelob is cool
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:29 AM   #30
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Boromirs death and all of those surrounding fights at the end of FoTR. Something about the way the music sounded and Aragorns urgency to go help Boromir really came together nicely......maybe im just a little nostalgic for seeing it on the big screen too.
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:06 PM   #31
entss89
lord of the ents

Quote:
Originally posted by Garbo
Sam vs. Shelob is cool

i would hav to agree with you i lov the fight with sam....

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #32
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I think "Boromir's last stand" was portrayed very well, I also liked the Rhorrim charge on Pelenor fields, and Faramir's charge.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #33
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

How 'bout Gollum/Sam on the slopes of Mt. Doom?
or Gollum/Frodo in the Sammath Naur?
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #34
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

My favorites are:
When they fight at the Black Gate of Mordor.
And the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
Also the battle at Helm's Deep.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #35
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

I would have to say the Battle at Pelennor Fields was really good.
When Eowyn and Merry defeated the Witch-King. Evil Nazgul! DIE!
Also, when Boromir fell defending Merry and Pip. So touching! *sniff*
Then there's the war at Isengard. Go Ents! (Again with Merry.)
When Sam fought Shelob. Tricksy Gullom! Nassty mean creature.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #36
AntiXZer01
Hobbit

My favorite battle sequences are somewhat partial to the Rohirrim. I would have to say my favorite was the final ride of the Rohirrim at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Especially the portion where Éomer hurls a spear thru a Haradrim's chest. Another of my favorite sequences is the Rohirrim's charge on the orcs and uruks that take Meriadoc and Peregrin captive.
Aside from the Rohirrim's battle sequences, I also liked the opening Battle of the Last Alliance in The Fellowship of the Ring. The precise firing of the arrows, flowing past Elronds head looks awsome.
The last of my favorite battle sequences is not exactlly a battle per say, it is the lone stand of the White Rider, riding out to meet the Nazgûl head on. I enjoyed the filming of this sequence a lot, the jerky camera movement back to the gates of Minas Tirith was incredible filmaking, the music was excellent during the White Rider stand as well.(Though I can not decide which I like better the music from the trailer or the actual film(the second the light emits from Gandalfs staff.)
Those are a few of my favorite battle sequences, I liked just about all of them, infact the only ones I can think of that I didn't really like would have to be the Warg fight and the Wizard dual between Saruman of many colours and Gandalf the Grey.(Just didn't seem right!?)

P.S. Oh yeah I almost forgot I liked the battle at the Chamber of Mazarbul, in Khazad-dûm!
AntiXZer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:39 AM   #37
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Oh, and also when Boromir fell protecting Merry and Pippin and the one at Isengard. I can't belive I forgot those!

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Old 07-29-2004, 06:19 PM   #38
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
Oh, and also when Boromir fell protecting Merry and Pippin and the one at Isengard. I can't belive I forgot those!
*GASP!* You, of all people, forgot those!
Anyway: I, personally, think that most of the fighting scenes were superbly done.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer

Last edited by Meriadoc Brandybuck : 07-29-2004 at 06:20 PM.
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #39
Hawklan
Enting

I have to say when Aragorn tells Frodo to skidaddle and then salutes the Uruks and proceeds to romp through the hoard is marvellous, and the ensuing battle is great.
a special mention for the filming of the suicide attack by Faramir on Osgiliath with the singing of Pippin and the total disregard from Denethor was so well shot and acted, wonderful.
because I'm still in love with you on this harvest moon.Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly rising
So this old world must still be spinning 'round
And I still love you

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
Hawklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #40
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
*GASP!* You, of all people, forgot those!
*shrinks and hides in a corner*

Last edited by Thain Peregrin Took I : 07-29-2004 at 08:17 PM.