Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2000, 12:04 PM   #21
Eruve

Re: dwarves elanor

Perhaps this will bring this back on topic (somewhat). I suppose if the Dwarf men never saw a Dwarf woman without a beard, they wouldn't think anything about kissing her... It was what they were used to, after all. Perhaps women with long beards were the Dwarven standard of beauty! Really, FM, I think you're judging the Dwarves by Human standards here...
How do we know the kids weren't born with beards???? Anyway, if the Dwarf man really loved his wife, he'd kiss her, beard or no beard! Which brings us back on topic: if you love someone enough, you'll do anything for them, even endure the sorrow Melian endured because of her love for Thingol.
Old 04-19-2000, 09:14 AM   #22
Fat middle

dwarves

bearded dwarf kids? i hadn´t thought on that...

you´re right about human standards and dwarven standards of beauty. Surely they´d have their own Dwarf Lady de Milo

anyway, i still think it´s odd the existance of single dwarf ladies being in so low proportion. I can only find two solutions:
1. even for dwarven standards, dwatrf ladies were really ugly
2. Aule didn´t put much love within dwarf guys´ hearts (save love for work).

But, hey, if they´re not very capable of love i don´t think they´ll kiss a lot their bearded ladies
Old 04-20-2000, 11:37 AM   #23
Darth Tater

Re: dwarves

:rollin: ROTFLMAO!!! :rollin:

I guess maybe we all HAVE seen the type of dwarves from Middle Earth! Ever see a bearded lady in the circus?
Old 05-26-2000, 02:20 PM   #24
Lillian C

Some elf guys go for human girls!

In the section of Morgoth's Ring that Finduilas mentioned, a philosophical argument between Finrod Felagund and the human woman Andreth reveals that Andreth had fallen in love with Finrod's brother Aegnor, and he with her. Sadly, Aegnor left without declaring his love, partially because of the war. (And I believe this took place before the Beren/Luthien thing, so an elf-human marriage was probably unheard of.)
Old 05-26-2000, 03:43 PM   #25
Eruve

Elf guys and human girls

You're right, Lillian. It had to have happened before Beren and Luthien, because Aegnor died in the Dagor Bragollach. One of the reasons given for Aegnor not declaring himself was that he had a certian measure of foresight, and thought it wouldn't be a good idea because of the war with Morgoth.