Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #21
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Hruad frowned a little as he stood up. "Who are you?"

"It's Imarwyn," Glimdrell said immediately, but it was plain that this name didn't mean anything to the politician.

"Are you a friend?" Hruad asked as he walked a couple steps closer to the door.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:26 PM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"Yes. You have seen me before, I was with Athalt and his soldiers when they captured you at the forest."

She realised it wasn't the best thing she could say to prove she was a friend, but she didn't have much time to make speeches. Again she glanced around hurriedly.

"I know you have found the Hytorax in the Barrowdowns." she said. "But what went wrong? Why weren't you able to free the king?"
Old 04-16-2003, 05:36 PM   #23
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"One of our own betrayed us," Glimdrell answered. "The sage named Aasinav."

"Can you help us?" Hruad asked.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:21 PM   #24
Earniel

Imarwyn blinked. "The scholar? He betrayed you?" She hadn't expected that. But it would explain the absence of Aasinav among the prisoners.

"Help you? I'm not so sure if I have any help to give. I am but a stranger here. But I think I know a man here who might. If I can find him, that is," she said. "But before I go, what became of the Hytorax?"

--------------------

Tareod watched the soldier leave the room without the weapons. The guard closed the door but did not lock it. Nearly as soon as his back was turned, Tareod opened the door as silently as he could. Somebody's living quaters are a strange place to keep prisoners' weapons, he mused. As these particular living quaters looked far from pleasant, Tareod found himself wishing not to meet the man who lived in them.

Two large chests drew his attention. Next to the one nearest to the window was the staff. It apparently was too large to fit in the chest. Inside it he found the rest of the weapons. He let them be as Imarwyn had asked. His eyes were drawn to the other chest. What would be in there, he wondered.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:41 PM   #25
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"Aasinav took it as he betrayed us," Hruad said. "You have our thanks for whatever help you can offer."
Old 04-18-2003, 03:58 AM   #26
Earniel

"I will help you where I can. But now I must go. Goodbye for now." with that Imarwyn turned around and slipt back out the way she came.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:59 AM   #27
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"The Prime Council is summoned," Dagankor said as he walked back to Vahatres. He stopped a few feet from him and bowed low. "Sire, they await your presence."

Vahatres nodded and placed his crown upon his head as he strode into the chamber. He took in the gathered company quickly with his gaze, and his eyes paused on Dolais. "The man who helped Hruad?" he asked Dagankor softly.

"We suspect him very strongly, yes," Dagankor answered, a small cold smile crossing his face for a moment. "The rebel company plays into our hands in more ways than one. This meeting shall change the future of this country."

"As is necessary," Vahatres agreed firmly as he reached his throne on the top of the dias. He turned around and took his seat, and all the other representatives and land barons took their seats as well. Dagankor stepped off of the bottom step of the dias quickly and took his place in a chair a few feet from it, facing the council.

"A new event has taken place in our kingdom," Vahatres began. "The violent acts of the rebel group that was in Néred some time ago have been followed up again by an attempt on my life. The treachery of two trusted politicians shocked us then. Hruad and Brilindil were the first two to betray us, gathering a league of individuals in an attempt to murder my trusted councilor Dagankor. Since then they have consistently tried to frame him for being a sorcerer.

"Their league also dispatched individuals to attempt to steal the magical item called the Hytorax from the Barrow Downs. The strength of the company that was sent out was further proved by the fact that they disabled Athalt Cranain's entire force that followed and intercepted them.

"They have attempted to undermine our national security by breaking our new ties with the Shadowhand, the group of Istari that we have recently been gaining such close links to. The group that we have just recently given control of several of our castles to, in particular the great castle of Barrack Tar.

"And at the same time, they have attempted to steal dark magical power for themselves. We all know the evil that the Hytorax is full of and the shadows that it has dwelt in for centuries. Yet this is the power they have sought to claim to destroy our monarchy and place a new government in control.

"Do they think that the fall of Sauron has caused us to lower our defenses? Well, I fear it may actually have done just that."

The council members looked at each other, but several of them frowned, listening intently.

"These rogues have today penetrated my very citadel. They entered Néred despite the defenses that were set up, and launched an attack last night. They tried to kill me and my council member Dagankor. If they had succeeded, vast amounts of instability would have been caused in the kingdom between the Shadowhand and Enedwaith. The instability would have been used, you can be sure.

"We have gained further evidence that the attack last night was able to penetrate the citadel because they were permitted in by another regional representative. Just as Hruad betrayed us, another has betrayed us.

"Is it any surprise though?" he asked, not looking at Dolais yet. The man looked pale though, and he was sweating.

"Hruad betrayed us," Vahatres continued, "and he was a regional representative. Is it any surprise that this conspiracy to seize power has not spread further in the council?"

"Who is it?" asked one of the land barons loudly.

"The regional representative that betrayed us this time was Dolais," he said, staring directly at the man now.

Heads turned and murmers rose among the council members. Dolais didn't move; he was frozen in his seat in horror.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #28
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"But there are others, you can be sure," Vahatres said, drawing back the attention of the council to himself. He had their wrapt attention now.

"Aggressive measures must be taken, and taken at once to assure our national security. The danger is too great for this to continue, and I'm sure that you all are with me that we must ensure the safety of the realm. The regional representative comittees have long been corrupt, though many of you, I'm sure, are friends," he said, looking over the group. "But my life is in danger, and so are the lives of my people. I will not permit a political league to seize control of my kingdom. Some of you may have found my recent security precautions rather harsh. But I assure you that they were deemed necessary then because of the likelihood of something like this happening. With the lack of wars, our military has been lessened and our security has become lax. But security alone will not solve this problem. The problem lies in the very core of the way our government is run, among the people that have infiltrated and are seizing control of the politics in Enedwaith.

"I request your support in the dissolving of this council, for it has allowed evil to continue and grow. I am forced, unfortunately, take sole command of this kingdom, just as King Aragorn has done in Gondor and Eomer has done in Rohan. The power of the central authority is recognized by our shining examples in the East, and I think we can all see the need for it here."
Old 04-19-2003, 02:55 PM   #29
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Fimbren woke with a start. He had been dreaming, but he knew it was more than a dream. He knew that this council meeting was happening right this moment. He had heard mention of Aragorn and Eomer, what he wouldn't give for their help now. He looked at the ring on his finger, the two serpents of Nargothrond. The ring of Barahir, given as a gift, for a time at least, by Aragorn. "Vahatres is taking complete control of Enedwaith" he said to no one in particular, "What am I to do?"

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 10-17-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 06:11 PM   #30
Earniel

On her way back up Imarwyn met some people here and there. Clearly they were returning now and no one really seemed to know why they had had to leave in the first place. But no one took notice of her or spoke to her. She now knew why the citadel had been so empty earlier. The enemy hadn't wanted any possible witness to the capture of Hruad's band.

Exiting the citadel she entered the stables. From there she had a good view on the people who were returning without being all too visible herself. And the stable boy didn't seem to mind her presence, in fact he kept a respectful distance. A few minutes later Tareod joined her.

"And?" she asked.

"The weapons are kept in a box inside someone's living quarters. A rather high placed someone judging by the look of his quarters."

Imarwyn nodded. "Well done. Did anyone notice you?"

"No one that cared about it."

"We'll have to be even more careful from now on. Hruad told me that they were betrayed by one of their own."

Tareod whistled lowly. "That's not so good. What do you plan to do now? I hope you're not thinking about breaking into the prison, rescuing the prisoners and recapture the Hytorax with just the two of us."

"No, I am not. It wouldn't work. No, we need someone who holds some authority in Enedwaith. And I think I know just the right man for that. Incidentally he's also about the only one whom I'm willing to trust with this matter. And speaking of the devil..." she said as she saw the subject of their conversation walk by.

Quickly she motioned Tareod to stay and left the stables to intercept Athalt. he turned when he heard her coming. If he was surprised at seeing her here, he didn't show it. But the frown told Imarwyn that he at least heard some part of what had happened in the citadel.

"Lord Cranain," she said, "I would like to have a word with you concerning the horse I trained for you."

It was an innocent enough thing to say for a horsetrainer. But Athalt took the hint immediatly and followed her into the stables. There she briefly introduced him to her brother before she came to business.

"I take it you've heard that our friends were unsuccesful." she said.

Last edited by Earniel : 05-20-2003 at 05:55 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #31
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

Aasinav's shadow resumed solid form as it settled on the ground outside of the capital of Enedwaith. To the casual eye, it had the same features as the sage - save for its skin and garb being colored in black and gray. And, even worse, were its eyes - filled with cruelty, and malice, and hatred for all living things.

The shade laughed. The more Aasinav left it free to run errands for him, the more freedom the shadow gained. It exulted in its false life.

It approached the gates of the city cautiously. It was to stay hidden, it knew. Aasinav had not said as much, but the shadow *was* Aasinav, in a way, and understood exactly what its mission was.

To observe. And only to observe.

It grinned to itself as it slipped over the wall of the city, as silent and hidden as any other shadow...
Old 04-20-2003, 12:45 AM   #32
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"I take it you've heard that our friends were unsuccessful," she said.

"I am aware of it," Athalt said. "The public is fast becoming aware of it too; it wasn't a very well kept secret. I think the only reason the king emptied that section of the citadel is that he didn't want public disapproval at the presence of the Shadowhand soldiers. Shadowhand soldiers have openly taken key guardian positions of the citadel. Little can happen here without their becoming aware of it, but they have an excuse. Unfortunately the move of that company opened an excuse for King Vahatres to take additional security measures."

"You mean he's using this attempt?" Tareod asked.

"Dagankor is using it," Athalt corrected him. "He has been using that company since the beginning of its creation. From beginning to end, he has manipulated it and its purposes. Now even as it collapses, its collapse fits Dagankor's end. Vahatres has no say in the matter. He's lost his mind."
Old 04-20-2003, 12:21 PM   #33
Earniel

"From the beginning to the end." Imarwyn cursed softly. "This whole thing was planned right down to Hruad's group finding the Hytorax for them and Aasinav's betrayal. They're playing a game and we're the pawns. Curse them!"

"Let's hope they don't have anything equally nasty in store for us." said Tareod a little concerned. "They are ahead of us at each step and I don't like being manipulated."
Old 04-20-2003, 01:42 PM   #34
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"But I don't see how they could possibly know about our change of heart, or have anticipated that," Athalt said. "We must try, somehow, to work against Dagankor ourselves."

They were silent for a moment, and then Athalt spoke again. "Dagankor's control of the kingdom all lies in his control of Vahatres. His manipulation of Vahatres' mind is the key to his control of the kingdom. Just as through Grima, Saruman controlled Theoden, so through Dagankor, the Shadowhand controls Vahatres, and through him, Enedwaith. Dagankor's power has now risen to the point that his is in charge of Enedwaith. The way to strike a crucial blow against his power is the same as it was from the very beginning of the company. They sought to destroy Dagankor's hold on Vahatres' mind; well they were right in that goal. If they had succeeded, there would have been a solid base from which the rulers of the kingdom could act to throw out the Shadowhand. Even if we save Vahatres now, the Shadowhand has a vast amount of control already. But saving Vahatres now could still be the first step to gaining the foundation from which we must launch our assault."

"How could we save Vahatres, though?" Tareod asked.

"Breaking the spell is the only way," Athalt said. "And I only know of one person we can trust who has the magic to break that spell. That is Elise."

"Would rescuing them from prison really help?" Imarwyn wanted to know. "It would simply alert them that there are more of us."

"They already know that," Athalt said. "The taking of the company's weapons proved that to them. If we rescued them, we'd have to act swiftly to keep Dagankor off balance. We'd have to strike fast and quickly."
Old 04-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #35
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Elise moved slightly and sighed.

"It is not so simple to tamper with another's magic." Elise murmured softly, "It is filled with traps and pitfalls... And I fear that many are unviewable untill you find them in an unpleasant way..."

"I have a dagger!" the boy Assar piped up from a corner, "D' you think you could use it to pick the lock?"
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 06:28 PM   #36
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Glimdrell smiled a wide grin at Assar. "Cunning boy, very cunning!" Glimdrell spanned his hand for the dagger. "My arms are slim and at one with daggers. An extention of my own hand you might say." Glimdrell snickered. "My arms should get between the ironbars and bend enough to get it into the lock. I would give my life to try atleast."
Old 04-23-2003, 06:25 AM   #37
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Assar snickered softly. "You know to speak highly of youself, Glimdrell. You must be a master at your art."

Glimdrell returned the smile. "There is a difference between being honest of oneself and speaking highly of oneself, my good friend." Glimdrell patted Assar on the shoulder and smiled warmly. "You are a good man Assar, but be careful! If you leave the path of selfhonesty, you will get lost in the web entangeling the grove around it, you´ll walk into darkness and get lost..."

Glimdrell took the dagger and soon was eagerly trying to pick the lock... Then the sound of approaching stepps suddenly echoed down the corridor...

Last edited by Arat-Falathion : 04-23-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Arat-Falathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #38
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Fimbren felt helpless. He should have been able to open that lock. It was just a simple lock, but even with his great power he could not open that simple lock. "Try it Glimrell" he said. "Get us out and I will fight ot the end next to you"

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 03-10-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:14 PM   #39
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

"Are you sure trying to rescue them is wise?" Tareod asked, quietly. "You know, they have Dolais a prisoner also. Rescuing those prisoners might add people to our side, but would it solve the situation?"

"We need them if we're to rescue Vahatres," Athalt said.

"Dagankor is no fool," Tareod said. "They will be heavily guarded. And any attempt to rescue them could end up in simply more of us being captured, which would add further evidence to the false claims Dagankor has been making."

"If we can save him . . ."

"I'm not arguing with our rescuing the king," Tareod said. "I think that that's a good idea- only trying to save those prisoners is both impractical and dangerous."

"You're right," Athalt said as he stood up. He wiped straw off his pants for a moment, and then leaned back against one of the beams supporting the stable roof. Suddenly he paused, an idea striking him. "But then, there is another possibility that I hadn't considered. We might not be so completely without allies as I thought."
Old 04-24-2003, 03:32 AM   #40
Earniel

Imarwyn raised a questioning eyebrow. "What other allies do you have in mind?"