Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2002, 11:42 PM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

This is the book forum, NOT the movie forum. I don't ever seem to recall anything about elves having brown eyes though.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:32 PM   #22
Frodo&Merry'sGurl
Sapling

I suggest you just read the books and pay attention to Tolkiens description of Legolas or of the elves or whatever.

In place of a dark lord you would have a queen. Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn.
Treacherous as the sea. Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair."
-Galadriel
Frodo&Merry'sGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:10 PM   #23
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Frodo & Merry'sgirl... (did they share you?? ) I think that is a good idea. I dont recall the eye color ever being mentioned in the case of legolas, but it was I believe in the Silmarillion somewhere about some lines of elves. This is a "movie" type question in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:34 PM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm re-reading LOTR now, so I'll try and keep an eye out (no pun! ) for Lego-boy's eye colour. I don't recall it being mentioned by Tolkien however, and I know that his hair colour certainly wasn't!
Old 08-05-2002, 05:52 PM   #25
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Was hair or eye color ever mentioned for any of the hobbits, either? I read fanfiction, and nearly every one gives Sam sandy blond hair and brown eyes, and Frodo black hair with blue eyes, but this sounds like movie verse to me...
Old 08-05-2002, 10:17 PM   #26
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Was hair or eye color ever mentioned for any of the hobbits, either? I read fanfiction, and nearly every one gives Sam sandy blond hair and brown eyes, and Frodo black hair with blue eyes, but this sounds like movie verse to me...
But hobbits have brown hair, except at the beginning of the fourth age when some had blonde.
If this is a movie question are people so obsessed about Legolas that they are debating his eye color???
Old 08-05-2002, 10:21 PM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There is a brief description of hobbits in the "regarding hobbits" prologue. And yes, I'm guessing this question was started by an obsessed fan-girl.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:40 AM   #28
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Galendhol Asada
It's quite odd because I have many different pictures of Legolas in the movie. If you notice that in the counsil of Elrond his eyes are brown and in the pictures of the counsil of Elrond their brown. In the scene where Boromir dies his eyes are blue. In moria his eyes are brown. But you also have to realize that they did not follow what Tolkien said they looked like, too. So I think that their honey, or light brown, I can send alot of pics to you on e-mail so you can get your opinions though.
In the movie his eyes were blue - you were witnessing the effects of lighting and shadow. And also, from a distance most eyes appear dark. He was wearing contacts, I know, but I'm sure he always wore them. And if not, oh well.

In the book, though, grey is the only eye color ever mentioned by Tolkien. He never says blue, brown, or green - only grey. So I'm just going to assume almost everyone had grey eyes.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 09-08-2002 at 08:18 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:11 PM   #29
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Gollum

either blue or brown
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 01:24 PM   #30
Llark silverwolf
Banned

notta clue heh
Llark silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #31
midnightflame
Sapling

Strider

i have read the books all three and re-read them i still dont get it.
also it might be because im blond but thats beside the piont i mean my cousin willow oran says that he is supposed to have black or brown hair with gray eyes and i starting to believe he does have grey eyes which is comman amoung elves!.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SOME ROSES ARE RED
VOILETS ARE'NT BLUE
I KNOW I CANT SPELL BUT WHAT ABOUT YOU!!!!

HA HA HA H AH AHA HA HA HA

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IM HAVENIG FUN OHHH LOTS OF SHINY RED BUTTTONES!!!!!!!!
midnightflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:53 PM   #32
midnightflame
Sapling

Strider

and another thing Tolkien barly describes legolas except what he is wearing and what frodo thinks of him the is really no physical description and i am not an opssesed fangirl this question was started by my sister who is obsessed with legolas i didnt even know this thread had been started till three days ago.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SOME ROSES ARE RED
VOILETS ARE'NT BLUE
I KNOW I CANT SPELL BUT WHAT ABOUT YOU!!!!

HA HA HA H AH AHA HA HA HA

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IM HAVENIG FUN OHHH LOTS OF SHINY RED BUTTTONES!!!!!!!!
midnightflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 08:16 PM   #33
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I am wrong. Tolkien does mention more than just grey eyes: he mentions Sam with "brown eyes". And that's a direct comment. So, yeah, it's up to you, I guess.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:45 PM   #34
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, "regarding hobbits" deals quite a bit with typical hobbit colouring. I don't know if brown eyes on a hobbit would necessarily transmute to that of elves though.

Oh, and I finished LOTR some time ago, and as I remembered, there is NO description of Leggie's eye or hair colour.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:00 AM   #35
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Hair color would be quite easy to place on Legolas, but eye color is a tricky one. I would say grey. For some reason I see Elves as having grey eyes. Maybe I associate them with the Grey Havens? Who knows...

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 09-09-2002 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:12 AM   #36
Sween
im quite stupid

i bet there yellow with green dots . no seriously this could go on forever its really a how we invisage the characters question so we will all disagree.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:14 PM   #37
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The Great Eye Colour Debate!

Movie pictures being irrelevant here, all we can really go one is our own impressions from the book. I don't remember any specific description in the book, but if someone calls one up, that would be cool. Tolkein didn't really go in for the character descriptions though. I always pictured Legolas with blue eyes.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 10:26 PM   #38
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I think he didn't because he wanted us to somewhat develop our own mental image of what they looked like overall.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:10 AM   #39
katya
Elven Maiden

i think so too, Rána Eressëa, and that makes me happy. it's better that way. that is why i try to avoid the movie because it puts new images in my head. i never noticed anything about eyecolour but i could've missed something. i'll pay attention now if that helps.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:08 PM   #40
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Also, didn't he say he found it easier to imagine landscapes rather than characters? That could be another reason why he didn't describe them in depth. And, it wasn't very neccessary to the story.