Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2000, 09:35 PM   #21
thrawn96

See, IP, I knew some of those were wrong. HA!

Old 06-23-2000, 09:45 PM   #22
Finlandril Far Seer

No problem thrawn96!

I was not offended by the fun you poked at Canada and, indeed, I thought some of it was quite humourous. I was merely shedding some light on the perception that Canada has no military history of which to speak. Quite the contrary. In fact, your White House was once pink (if I remember correctly) and was later painted white for a visiting French dignitary after a small force of Canadians torched it.

OK, OK, so most of the force was British, but they were Britons from Canada!

Finlandril Far Seer

Old 06-23-2000, 10:30 PM   #23
IronParrot

Oops, with that constitution thing, I was referring to a different document... don't remember exactly what I was going to say, but... how would you classify the British North America Act (1867)? Because that's what I'm referring to. Not the Constitution. Sorry.

Finally taking on that nuke thing...

Quote:
"Canada is the most useless country when it comes to war. They never help in any hostile situation. It is never heard on the news, "Canadian troops advanced today into a situation that is escalating out of control."
Others here have already mentioned Vimy Ridge and Dieppe. Also, we took down Juno Beach on D-Day, one of the five beaches at Normandy. Today Canadians are still celebrated in the Netherlands with a national holiday, because it was the Canadian armed forces that liberated them in the Second World War. Then there's also the many peacekeeping operations where Canadian leadership was absolutely essential. It was Lester Pearson, former Canadian Prime Minister, who (before he became PM) founded peacekeeping and first employed it in relieving tensions in the Suez Canal in, I believe it was 1957. Want more examples?

Quote:
"We have been in many history classes and have never heard of Canada helping in Vietnam or Desert Storm."
In fact, those are the ONLY two examples of Canada not getting involved - Vietnam because it was pretty damn foolish anyway, and the U.S. made a pretty big mistake in getting involved; and although Canadians didn't participate in Desert Storm, they contributed to the Gulf War through playing a large role in operations conducted by the United Nations.

Quote:
"We're not sure, but we don't think they have a Navy or Air Force."
Canada has some of the most advanced naval technology in the world, though our fleet is small. And as for the air force... which country do you think served as the main Allied air force training ground in World War II? (It was primarily for the British Commonwealth, but they played a BIG role...)

Quote:
"If we nuke Canada, the only thing we will lose is the expensive drink "Clearly Canadian.""
I'm laughing too hard at this one to make a counter-argument. This one isn't even worth the effort.

Quote:
"Canada also happily provides us with its immigrants. I mean hell, we've already got those weirdos coming in through the Mexican border, from Cuba, and Puerto Rico. I think we have enough."
YOU guys didn't have several boatloads of Chinese immigrants being smuggled in on the Pacific coast last year.

Quote:
"Canada copied us and got professional sports. They can't come up with anything theirselves."
A Canadian invented basketball. And of course there's hockey.

Quote:
"We were suprised when we saw this. The infamous and popular Canadian Bacon pizza topping is not even made in Canada. That is really pathetic."
That's not a problem with Canada, that's a problem with the marketing "geniuses" at Pizza Hut.

Quote:
"We would just like to add, the Raspberry flavor of "Clearly Canadian" tasted nothing like raspberries."
Again, how is this a problem with the nation of Canada?

Quote:
"You've heard of all those cars that are made in Canada. They're uhh..."
Ten bucks says your parents have a Japanese-manufactured car. (In all likelihood, they do.)

Quote:
"And for the tenth reason, it would be cool, they wouldn't even see it coming. I mean we haven't even used one on someone since the 40's, and they're all just getting rusty, and if we're gonna pay our hard earned tax dollars for these things, we damn well better use them. So who's the best target? Canada!"
There's something called "disarmament" going on right now that you probably haven't heard of.

So in summary, NONE of the reasons you provided justify nuking Canada. Oh, and secondly, even if you tried to nuke us you'd fail in doing so, because of our missile defense system that the United States relied on heavily during the Cold War.

Old 06-23-2000, 10:31 PM   #24
Eruve

And just another point about the health care system. A few days ago the newspaper her printed up the UN ranking of countries according to their health care systems. Canada didn't do great, it was 30th. But the US was 37th.

Old 06-23-2000, 10:36 PM   #25
noldo

What was number 1?

Old 06-23-2000, 10:42 PM   #26
Eruve

I think it was Japan with Switzerland at number 2.

Old 06-23-2000, 10:49 PM   #27
noldo

Oh. Japan rules.

Old 06-23-2000, 11:33 PM   #28
thrawn96

Why do you bitch about a mere couple boatloads of illegal immigrants, when we get dozens of boatloads of aliens ever day? They come illegally from the Orient, Mexico, and Cuba. And then there are the countless amount legal immigrants coming off the boat every minute. And you bitch about a couple aliens?

There's a difference between Japanese cars and Canadian cars. First of all, Japan has been a kick ass country ever since they got on our good side after WWII. Japanese food is great, they have awsome technology, and they're just plain cool. Plus, foriegn-made goods are always better than American-made goods (except for Canadian-made goods). And yes, my parents own a Toyota.

Old 06-24-2000, 02:50 AM   #29
juntel

IP, let's not forget these are children we're talking to.

They have been brainwashed in thinking it's better to make a war than to prevent one.

The greatest warriors are those who act so they do not need to fight.

Old 06-24-2000, 04:09 AM   #30
IronParrot

To paraphrase Asimov - violence is the last resort of the ignorant...

Old 06-24-2000, 04:11 AM   #31
arynetrek

while we're on the subject of Japan (sort of)...

japanese food is awesome, so is Vision of Escaflowne (a REALLY GOOD anime).

sorry - just had to say it -

aryne *

Old 07-12-2000, 12:49 AM   #32
thrawn96

Ok, time to make peace with IP. I was thinking of a way to do this for a while. This will only work if IP decides to go along with it. The plan will make both of us probably go out unhappy, but at least we'll be at peace.

We each must make a list of 5 things that suck about our country and 5 things that are good about the other person's country.

Once IP agrees, I'll go first, or he can go first. It doesnt matter, but I wont go until he does. Hopefully this will bring total peace between me and the rest of the board. I've already made peace with Tater.

Old 07-12-2000, 12:57 AM   #33
IronParrot

Peace? Were we ever at war?

Okay. I'm in a rush to go right now so I'll come back and post mine later on tonight... you can go first if you want to but it doesn't matter to me...

Old 07-12-2000, 01:17 AM   #34
thrawn96

Ok...
5 Good Thing About Canada
1. Chris Jericho (wrestler)
2. that big mall you have
3. Kittie (rock band)
4. Niagra Falls
5. Hockey

5 Things that Suck About America
1. Rednecks
2. Illegal aliens
3. American-made appliances
4. Our scandalous politicians
5. North Dakota

Old 07-12-2000, 03:43 AM   #35
IronParrot

U.S.A. Positives:

- John Philip Sousa and all those catchy march tunes
- The universities (I might be going to one of them someday)
- More interesting tourist attractions
- Aircraft carriers
- Easier to order stuff online

Canada Negatives:

- Our dollar is worth less than yours
- Canadian citizens don't qualify for American game shows
- No major league baseball (our two teams don't really count)
- Too much French-English disunity
- Too economically dependent on the U.S.

Old 07-12-2000, 05:44 AM   #36
juntel

...I remember canadian contestants on "The Price Is Right"
...but that was a long time ago...

Old 07-12-2000, 09:52 AM   #37
Fat middle

wow, i´m impressed!

Greg can´t be no more an Elven Warrior. he´s an Elven Peacemaker

Old 07-12-2000, 05:12 PM   #38
etherealunicorn

Well-done, guys! You both gave a good effort, though technically I have to take some exception to the redneck statement

Redneck is an example of something that was not originally derogatory, but has become so through common use. But hey, it takes all sorts to make a world, right?

Old 07-12-2000, 07:20 PM   #39
Darth Tater

Very nice.

Old 07-12-2000, 08:11 PM   #40
thrawn96

Well, I dont think the peacemaker thing would work. I dont thinks it'll be long until I cause more trouble at the board. Today, I'm at peace. Tomarrow, nobody knows.