Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2002, 02:03 PM   #21
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Well, since none of the names of the daughters are ever mentioned, I can assume one of two things

1) He was the eldest and inherited the throne, thus the only 'important' child of Arwen and Aragorn, or

2) The daughters, regardless of age, were not considered important and the first son became the heir to the throne.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:03 PM   #22
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Eldarion would have succeeded Aragorn under Arnorian/Gondorian law, which did not allow for Ruling Queens, as in Numenor. Hence, his place in birth succession with respect to his sisters was irrelevant.

There were probably no more than 2 or 3 daughters. Arwen is unlikely to have had many more children than that.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 02:48 PM   #23
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

You mean because of her Elven blood?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:57 PM   #24
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
You mean because of her Elven blood?
Yes. But then, Aragorn's family wasn't exactly known for having lots of children, either.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:34 PM   #25
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Speaking of Aragorn's children, is it possible that some of them might have chosen immortality? They would have been half elves so it would make sense for them to have the same choice that was given to their mother, uncles, grandfather etc.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 11:55 PM   #26
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

I think the choice was only given to a few of the half-elves.. I don't think Dior was given a choice. Also, the mothers, uncles, and grandfathers (on Aragorn's side) of the children of Aragorn were not given the choice of race.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:52 PM   #27
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Yes, but the people on Aragorn's side of the family weren't half elves. They were humans wih half elvish blood. Aragorn and Arwen's children are about as half elvish as you can get. Also the choice thing doesn't seem to come into the story until after the two halfelven lines were joined, which is also happening with A&A
so it would make sense for their childen to have the choice. And it never does say what happened to all those daughters, one of them might have chosen to be elvish and gone west. It's possible.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 04:59 PM   #28
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Hm... but would it matter that Arwen chose to be a mortal before having children? Technically, I suppose she wasn't an elf anymore.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 08:35 PM   #29
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Yet Lúthien also chose to become mortal, and yet her son was accounted the first of the Half-elven. This doesn't necessarily mean that the same thing would happen with Arwen's children though. I think the difference between the First and Third Ages ought to be analyzed.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:02 PM   #30
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
There were female Noldor rulers-Galdriel,4 1.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:45 AM   #31
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yet Lúthien also chose to become mortal, and yet her son was accounted thefirst of the Half-elven. This doesn't necessarily mean that the same thing wouldhappen with Arwen's children though. I think the difference between the First and Third Ages ought to be analyzed.
Yeah, I though about tht right after I posted. (I'm literally psyched out right now, AP psych exam on Friday ) Was Dior given a choice?
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 02:17 PM   #32
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
well,he was slain,so i dont thenk it mattered much.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 09:10 PM   #33
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Christiana
well,he was slain,so i dont thenk it mattered much.
It doesn't matter if he was slain or not. Dior was not given the choice, because he was born after Luthien was released from Mandos and returned from the dead with Beren to Middle-earth which at that point, they were both mortal.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 12:17 AM   #34
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

The first people to receive choices, which is to say: the first Half-elves to receive choices, were Eärendil (the second ever Half-elf, son of Tuor and Idril Celebrindal) and Elwing (daughter of Nimloth niece of Celeborn and Dior, son of Beren and Lúthien). The second pair of choices, so to speak, were given to Elros and Elrond, the children of Eärendil and Elwing.