Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-11-2002, 04:14 PM   #21
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I agree that Martial arts are out of line with Tolkien, but unarmed combat is not. A subtle difference between the two. It's spelt savate.

If that's fine with you I'll add the unarmed combat skill too.
Nariel

Where are you from? It seems we are forming a thread of linguist. Aside from my English skill, I speak the most limited and horrible Spanish and Korean.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 04:22 PM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:18 PM   #22
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

When you say

Quote:
I just wanted to point out that we have two guys in their early twenties, One venerable elf still adventuring, and a 7 year old
Do mean as NPC's or as PC's.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 04:20 PM   #23
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Hey, there were Wandering Companies. So it is possible to have several Elves all together.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 04:28 PM   #24
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Nariel there is a character in the Elves supplement ( MERP)named Linsul.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 04:52 PM   #25
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

If there are too many Elves you change the date to earlier in the 3rd age.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 04:58 PM   #26
Lysander
Sapling

Hi. I would like to play too.

To be different, I would like to play a Man, in his early to mid thirties, named Lysander. He is skilled with the sword. If necessity requires, he can handle a bow, but only with moderate skill -- it is with a sword in his hand that he feels truly comfortable in battle.

As for history, I'll need a little help. I read LOTR years ago and don't remember the world exceptionally well (I'm rereading the books now, of course). I'd like him to be of the wandering Ranger/mercenary sort. Any ideas on how to put him in Bree are welcome.
Lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:24 PM   #27
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I think I'll join too. I'm uncertain of a name as of yet, but I have the whole character in my head.She is of the race of man, but a young woman actually. She is in her early twenties. She has long black hair (rarely ever in any other style than loose) and clear green eyes. She is thin but short...around 5'. She is extremely intellectual and intelligent, loving books more than in fighting. But she is also an excellent guide and is well versed in the healing arts as well. If she is forced to fight, she uses bow and arrows. Normally, she lives in Gondor, but she recently had to guide someone back to Bree. She remains there for only the night. Of family history...all her family are Gondorians, humble craftsmen turned to soldiers in these dark ages.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to BEGIN looking for a Gondorian-sounding name?
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:43 PM   #28
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Afro elf,

can't you contain all you're thoughts in one post?

please?

it makes it seem like there are already a ton of posts.

If you think of something you want to add then just use the edit ok?

also if you had looked you would have seen that the martal arts was supposed to take the place of the dagger/sword tipe thing.

P.S. Hotwings, so its ok if my guy has some subtle magic? I defentely wasent planing to have him tossing fireballs left and right, more like uhhhhhhhhh..... well...... I guess sort of a hipnotising kind of thing.

also what do you mean by savate? is it basicly just like some boxing thing?

Last edited by Tessar : 01-11-2002 at 05:49 PM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:44 PM   #29
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Renille

It says in Appendix F of LOTR. MOST Gondorian names where of Elvish form. Mostly Sindar but some in Quenya.

Try here

http://www.geocities.com/almacq.geo/sindar/

Lysander, Rangers are often in Bree. So, it would fine if your character is there.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 05:50 PM   #30
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

T12

I check here often. It's not that I write one thing and immediately add another post with the same thought to pad my posts.

It could be a few minutes are several hours between post.

If I only edited, someone may miss some info.

If YOU read the post carefully, you would have been able to gather that my question concerning martial arts had nothing to do with your character's dagger thing, but was it appropos
for there to be martial arts ( Usually associated with Asia style forms of combat mixed with philsophical underpinnings i.e any art art ending with a DO at the end )

Hot wings clarified that you could have a non Asian form of unarmed combat like Savate, which is a French fighthing form that arouse I believe in the 1700's.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:45 PM   #31
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Thanks so much for the site, afro-elf! I now have a name! It is Nibenel...a form of the sindarian word small.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:50 PM   #32
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

My pleasure.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #33
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

T12

If you want the possiblity of magic, there is a another RPG starting on the thread called starting a new rpg.

link here

http://www.tolkientrail.com/entmoot/...&threadid=2883

If you join that one you might like it more because you can be an Elf with SOME magic. Also it might cut the number of Elves on this thread.

So if you are happy there that's cool.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:03 PM   #34
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

If I may, I would like to join too.

Basic stats//

Name: Feraway Hawkbriar
Height: 4'10
Race: 1/2hobbit 1/2human

My charecters name is Feraway Hawkbriar. She is half Fallohide strain hobbit from her father's side. Her father was 4 foot nothing. Her mother, just under 5 feet (she had been sick as a child so she never did grow as she should have) Feraway was born and raised in Bree. She still lives there.

Feraway was 12 when her mother died and so her father continued raising her as best he could.

She is an odd child indeed, standing 4'10, extremly tall by hobbit standards and very very short by man's. The hair on her head is of a dark blond color and rather than being curly is instead very wavey. Her legs and feet do not sport the thick hair of her fathers kin. Her feet are much smaller, and only half as tough as the average hobbit's so she often wears leather boots when traveling about the countryside especially in winter. Her ears are pointed and are little different than any other hobbit's.

Feraway is very inquisitive and active, she often wanders out of home range for days at a time. Through trial and error she has learned quite alot about surviving the wilds. She never travels alone however and always brings along her very VERY large, grey, long-ish haired dog named Leaf. He is her closest companion and is very protective. Standing 3 foot at the shoulder, he is indeed a fine gaurd dog.

Because of her nearly constant traveling, she does not often wear dresses or the like. Instead she is often seen wearing rather male-ish clothing. A white shirt, longish Grey colored breeches a forest green cloak, a simple silver chain about her neck, a smaller one on her wrist(they were her mother's) and a leather belt about her waist are her usual garb.

Though generally very dependeble and freindly, Feraway has rather Hot temper, she is quik to anger (A trait thats cirtainly from her mothers side.) and if merited, slow to forgive. It is best not to anger her, because you'll never hear the end of it and you may fine somethng that bites in your boot or hat come morning. She can be quite the terror.

She carries but one weapon, a simple knife wich she always keeps sharp and at hand, should need for it arise.

When not out and about she can sometimes be seen at the Pony.

(sooo, can i join?....I'll give you a piiiiieee. )
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:11 PM   #35
Griffin
Hobbit

OOOH I'm not too late am I?

I would very much like to join

LOL I WAS going to be an Elf but that's a crowded group

SOOOOO..... I think I'll be...

Name: Kryden Imarin
Race: Human
Cast/Group/Occupation (): Ranger
Favorite Weapon: Long Bow and a Longsword

Kryden is a wandering Ranger. He is currently wander the Western Lands, and staying at Bree.
^Go to the RP Forum...
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:23 PM   #36
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Feraway

Cool character background.

I'm glad you posted that. I thought that your name was male.

I think if we keep this a mature, BUT fun game, this could be really successful.

WOW

If T12 stays thats:

4 Elves ( T12, legolas, nariel, me)
3 Humans (Lysander, renille, Griffin)
1 1/2 hobbit (feraway)

We just need Dwarf.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-11-2002, 10:09 PM   #37
Hot_Wings
Sapling

Strider We are ready to go!

First I want to say Hullo to everyone. All of your characters sound great. Thank you to Afro-Elf for keeping everything in line. 1/2 a hobbit sounds fishy, I don't recall any half hobbits in the books, but oh well, you have too good of a background.

The rangers are in town because of a tri-annual meeting. The rest of you are passing through. You are all staying at the Prancing Pony

When you guys are ready, sttart posting.

Wingy

"My ventilation ducts will be too small to crawl through."
-Rule #2 from The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Ovelord
Hot_Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:55 PM   #38
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

I got info about this from afro elf (thanks ) but I don't know if my usual character would fit in because she's a Maia and about as far as you can get from a warrior. [BTW, I speak Czech and a little Japanese in addition to English ] I've been using this char. for more than a year on various MBs.

Yikes! Can't a make an "evil" smiley here? > : )

Read about the Lady Legrace

Last edited by Sauron's Nagging Wife : 01-11-2002 at 10:56 PM.
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:07 PM   #39
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Well, Hot wings is the final arbitrator here, BUT I would warrant a guess that a Maia is a little out of scale here.

However, there is an allowance of a minor ( and I don't mean underage) spell caster, if you wish to change characters.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-11-2002 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:23 PM   #40
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Reading Lady Midnight's thread reminded me of a few things

1) if you want to involve another character you should send them a private mail.
2) ask the GM can you use are kill a NPC
3) try to stay in character

'Dern Helm"