Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2002, 09:49 PM   #21
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Thanks, Lefty.

Now I understand where "Ecthelion of the Fountain" came from. Had known there were especially beautiful fountains in Gondolin and had supposed Ecthelion had them under his care (g), but he seemed more military than maintenance oriented.

Sorry that didn't help much in tracing Glorfindel's lineage. I had hoped maybe there was a reference to a certain family or other group that had been linked in some way to Glingal, the image of Laurelin behind Turgon's throne, or somewhere in the line back to Laurelin itself back in Valinor.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 02:48 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Glorfindel is just one of those mysterious loose ends ... I just love the description of him in FoTR when he is riding on his horse, looking for Aragorn, but even before Aragorn had moved or called, Glorfindel stops and looks up towards him. His whole sense of wisdom and power and courtesy (in the old-fashioned sense of the word) that comes thru in that section is really lovely. I'm kind of glad that he wasn't in the movie, because I can't image how they could have possibly conveyed all of that. Now I can just keep the image that I have of him in my head! (although I liked the movie in general)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-15-2002 at 02:51 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote