Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 PM   #341
inked
Elf Lord

A discussion of marriage by the gay weekly and a conservative journal with links to the original articles....
http://merecomments.typepad.com/mere..._tyranny_.html
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #342
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
No further back than the very first post in response to your question. Here it is again:

Get yer Dumb Ox here!

Tsk, tsk, Mouser...divorce and annulment aren't the same thing.

But here's more text here. "Divorce" is said in many ways. Divorce, as in separation of husband from wife even permanently and cessation of their life together, is allowed; however, this does not dissolve the sacramental bond between them.

The Catholic Church, as a rule, may be considered to take the words of Christ very, very, very seriously.

Without further ado:

EDIT: Due to HTML incompetence.
well said! OT what is your major Gwaimir? I always wanted to major in Theology.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #343
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Liberal Arts. At TAC, everyone takes all the same courses, and we all get degrees in Liberal Arts. I hear it's equivalent to a double in theology and philosophy with a minor in math. I'm hoping to go on to study Theology more after this.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #344
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Liberal Arts. At TAC, everyone takes all the same courses, and we all get degrees in Liberal Arts. I hear it's equivalent to a double in theology and philosophy with a minor in math. I'm hoping to go on to study Theology more after this.
http://www.thomasaquinas.edu/curriculum/index.htm

Awesome! Makes me incredibly jealous!
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #345
Gwaimir Windgem

I know; the curriculum is absolutely top-notch. I'm very glad to be here.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #346
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
I know; the curriculum is absolutely top-notch. I'm very glad to be here.
that's great! best of luck to you! are you going on to study to be a priest or a counselor or something? I never could figure out what you would do with a major in theology other than be a priest (which of course I cannot). maybe a marriage counselor? this is the marriage thread! you could be entmoot's Marriage Counselor!
Old 06-03-2006, 02:16 PM   #347
Gwaimir Windgem

I'd be about as good a marriage counseler as Dogbert. With theology, there are basically two things you can do, I think: A) Priesthood or B) teach. I think I will actually end up in a Benedictine monastery, but by way of priesthood for several years.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #348
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
I'd be about as good a marriage counseler as Dogbert. With theology, there are basically two things you can do, I think: A) Priesthood or B) teach. I think I will actually end up in a Benedictine monastery, but by way of priesthood for several years.
In my opinion Gwaimir, you'll end up like another Abbe Franz Liszt ...

http://wondersmith.com/heroes/liszt.gif

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #349
Gwaimir Windgem

Ha! That's less likely than being a marriage counselor. I'm a terribly unmusical person.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #350
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Ha! That's less likely than being a marriage counselor. I'm a terribly unmusical person.
There was more to that man than music...

You know he was still a ladies man even when he was an Abbe(!), but he was very anxious that he didn't get the sacraments before he died...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #351
Gwaimir Windgem

Ah, a sort of "Oscar Wilde" style devout sinner, eh?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #352
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Ah, a sort of "Oscar Wilde" style devout sinner, eh?
Yes, and you know, it's surprising he and Wagner (at least till towards the end) got on so well, they were opposite on a lot of things as far as philosophy goes.

Btw, since this is a thread about marriage, I might as well say something pertaining to it:

Ok, prepare. The young Liszt had an affair with a woman in Switzerland, and his Child, Cosima, from that affair married his pupil, Hans von Bulow. Well, Bulow was a biggie Wagnerian, and he premiered "Tristan" and "Meistersinger" two of W's biggest.
Anyways, while Bulow prepared the performance of "Tristan", Wagner (he ALWAYS was having affairs ) and Cosima had an affair, and in fact, she got pregnant -and Bulow thought it was his!-and the child was born the day Bulow premiered the opera.

Bulow wasn't exactly ecstatic about it, but he got over it remarkably well, and he abondoned friendship with Wagner, and went over to the Brahms party, though he championed both men's music.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 06-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #353
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

"Mawwage. Mawwage is what bwings us togethah today. Mawwage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam wiffin a dweam...and wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah... so tweasuwe youw wove..."
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #354
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
lol I love Dogbert!

I think you'ld make a great priest.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #355
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
"Mawwage. Mawwage is what bwings us togethah today. Mawwage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam wiffin a dweam...and wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah... so tweasuwe youw wove..."
I thought it was other....
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-23109,00.html

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 06-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #356
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

The quote was from Princess Bride, one of my all time favorite movies.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #357
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
You should hear one of my friends say that

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #358
TreebeardQuickbeam
Sapling

I can't seem to find my original post

My original post seems to have dissappeared, it was on page 25, but the links only go up to page 18 instead of 25 when I hit the last page link, so I'm going to try posting this one more time, but if it is a duplication, I apologize. feel free to remove it.

Marriage throughout History until now has been about male-female procreative unions. Statistics show that when procreation is contracepted, and when cohabitation is rampant, the tendency to use another person for pleasure and discard them when you're tierd of them increases. This is why Homosexual unions are open unions-allowing for multiple partners and heartbreak after heartbreak. This is why Gays have a high incidence of suicide, and gays on average have a shorter lifespan. Marriages that are not contraceptive have lower divorce rates statistically. Divorce rates go up when contraception is used or cohabitation has occurred outside of marriage. Marriage recognizes that there is a purpose for sex beyond satisfying unbridled lust. The fact that you have to contracept to prevent pregnancy is an indication of one of those purposes. The other purpose of sex beyond procreation is to give oneself to one's spouse in an act of self giving that is also truly life-giving. Homosexual unions are closed to the gift of life, and therefore the procreative potential of the sexual act cannot be realized in such a union because there is no sexual complimentarity between the two persons. You cannot give yourself as a gift to another if you are merely using them for your own benefit until you get tierd of them, and the rampant promiscuity prevalent in many homosexual unions doesn't demonstrate a loving, committed relationship where the couple are willing to make sacrifices for one another until death. It bespeaks a relationship that has only one purpose: pleasure for me until you bore me. Infatuation can be mistaken for true Love, but real Love is a gift of self. Giving oneself entirely to another means in hard times as well as in good times. I believe that clause is written into the wedding vows, traditionally. Further, there are people who have recovered from homosexual orientations and had families. Genetic has gotten to be like the insanity plea-its a way of saying it's not my fault-love me or leave me. If someone had a predisposition genetically to pedophillia I don't think people would be as accepting, although there are some dutch scientists who think fathers should unite with their children. Further, in our supposedly tolerant society, Tolerance has become an oxymoron. If I have a position on an Issue, and lots of other people agree, you're tolerant only if you agree with me. If you dare to disagree I'll start calling you names. That kind of tolerance is a blooming double-standard.
TreebeardQuickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #359
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien the Maia
lol I love Dogbert!
So do I. Megalomaniacs are so cute!

(Edited to make quote more relevant)

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 06-07-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #360
inked
Elf Lord

Fox's Geraldo Show Delights In 'Brokeback Mountain, Family-Style'

Posted by Tim Graham on June 11, 2006 - 07:26.

Back in December, Brent Bozell warned that group marriage – polygamy – was becoming the rage on television, including this:

What’s next? Non-fictional "group marriage TV" will arrive on the Bravo channel in the spring, with a documentary called Three of Hearts: A Postmodern Family, featuring a New York triple with two gay men, a woman, and two children. Now, reading that last sentence – what was your reaction? Perhaps a bit surprised, maybe somewhat disgusted. But you weren’t shocked, were you? I rest my case.

Well, it’s a little late to qualify as "spring" now, but this film will air on Bravo this month, and it’s now being publicized by Fox News, in their syndicated program "Geraldo at Large." MRC’s Geoff Dickens reported that on Thursday night, Fox anchor Laurie Dhue filed a story for Geraldo on the film with a predictable opening:

"Well you could call it Brokeback Mountain, family-style. You’re about to enter a household that’s anything but conventional. A household that will challenge our very ideas of what it means to be a traditional family. What happens when boy meets boy meets girl? Welcome to the 21st century edition of the American family unit. Now the subject of Three Of Hearts, a documentary airing on the Bravo channel June 12th....The film chronicles the unusual love between New Yorkers Sam, Steven and Samantha, two bisexuals and a straight woman who spend 13 years sharing a bed, a business and ultimately the responsibility of raising two children together."

Okay, first point: a threesome does not challenge "our very ideas of what it means to be a traditional family." Because it’s not a traditional family. It in fact, underlines exactly what it means to be a "non-traditional family." It is, however, traditionally scandalous and sinful. Dhue underlined that the filmmakers were making a political statement:

Dhue: "For director Susan Kaplan and husband David Friedson, the film’s executive producer, the movie is especially timely." [Mini-soundbite of President Bush] "What do you hope people get out of Sam, Samantha and Steven’s story?"

Susan Kaplan: "What really interested me was taking the idea of a family and pushing it really to the limit to make people question and make people talk about the idea of what is family."

It’s probably for the best that this report didn’t appear on the regular Fox News Channel, since Dhue made no attempt to locate an opposing point of view to stand with President Bush and his more vocal advocates of traditional matrimony. (It would, however, delight Dhue’s friends at the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association, where she has appeared at New York fundraisers along with Fox’s Page Hopkins and liberal media stars like Brian Williams, as you can see here.)

Dhue ended with the film’s predictable conclusion:

Dhue: "After 13 years of trinogamy[?], Steven left the relationship. Today, Sam and Samantha remain a committed couple, content in the knowledge that two out of three ain’t bad..."

Geraldo Rivera: "Steven is out, Sam and Samantha still together?"

Dhue: "Sam and Samantha are still legally married, but they do not have a sexual relationship anymore. They do live together for the sake of their children. They say they’re dating other people but so far neither one has found a very serious relationship."

Rivera: "You know I don’t think I believe in bisexuality. I think you’re either gay or you’re straight and maybe you fool around and go the other way once in a while and this seems like two gay guys trying to find a way through straight society."

Dhue: "Well you know, I think it’s interesting, a lot of critics might watch this and say, 'hey, it was just a menage a trois. It didn’t really mean anything. It was just an excuse for people to experiment and have a good time.’ But the husband and wife documentary team say that’s not true at all. That they really, these three people really and truly did love one another."

Actually, the film underlines exactly why social conservatives say these kind of relationships are inferior to traditional marriage. They’re unstable, and they’re certainly not monogamous – Mommy and Daddy are dating other people. And then does the marriage survive the other people? Do the children take a back seat to the other people?

http://newsbusters.org/node/5813