Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #281
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes - although teaching them to clean is important, there are things that are more important

I realized this morning that I have a slight thing about 13, and that I tend to count things automatically. I was putting on underarm deodorant, and I did 6 strokes on one side and then 7 on the other, and I had to go back to the first side and do one more because it was 13 I guess I'm a little more OCD than I realized ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #282
inked
Elf Lord

There's OCD and ther there's OCD:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ind-crime.html

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 01-28-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: speling
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #283
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That's crazy!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #284
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Actually that's a law I could completely get behind. People need to not be noxious. >.<
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #285
Rían

Well, the only hard part is finding out who the perpetrator is ... <.< >.>

Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #286
Alcuin
Salt Miner

You know what “they” say:
Even paranoids have enemies.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #287
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Lol Alcuin! Brilliant
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #288
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
I am, but I often forget all about it

It's good that your emetophobia isn't extreme enough to interfere daily.
Yeah. It could be that I just make such a big effort to avoid it that I don't have to have it interfere. I'm pretty sure I would be really upset if I watched someone puke through the window of the office where I work sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Why is stepping on cracks on the floor bad?
This is what I found (and someone else did most of the work - I couldn't corroborate anything said, so it might just be picking birds from the sky)

Quote:
Ill-fortune is said to be the result from stepping on a crack in the pavement. Present day society usually associates the superstition behind treading on cracks to the rhyme: "Step on a crack, break your mother's back" but the superstition actually goes back to the late 19th - early 20th Century and the racism that was prevalent in this period.

The original rhyming verse is thought to be "Step on a crack and your mother will turn black." It was also common to think that walking on the lines in pavement would mean you would marry a ***** and have a black baby. (Apparently this superstition only applied to Caucasians and because of the rampant prejudice against black people, was considered an activity to avoid.)

Stepping on cracks also had significance for children. In the mid-20th Century it was popular to tell children that if they stepped on the cracks in the street, they would be eaten by the bears that congregate on street corners waiting for their lunch to walk by.

Also, the number of lines a person would walk on corresponded with the number of china dishes that the person would break, later in the day.

Only in the last few decades has the rhyming superstition resurfaced to be the recognized "step on a crack, break your mother's back" and in some areas, two superstitions above are melded together to include the number of lines one steps on will correspond with the number of your mother's bones that are broken.
I spent a good amount of time walking with my face down so I could make sure I didn't step on any cracks. My feet were small enough (and may still be) to fit in the 12x12 tiles on the floor at school, so I would just take slightly larger steps than was comfortable and step on every other tile. I moved almost like a knight in chess.

I would also over- or undercompensate if it appeared I was going to misstep and hit a crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an View Post
Good for you!

I don't have a phobia, but it does make me gag a lot to be around throwup - I have to hold my breath and sometimes leave the room for some air if I'm the lucky one to be cleaning it up.
I'm always jealous of people who are able to just get over it. I'm an adult, I can take care of myself now, but when I was younger, I had to have at least one parent available if I needed them when my brother was sick. I'm sure it was frustrating for my parents, but we got through.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote