Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #281
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Cool. That's really what I'm doing too. I wrote one fantasy series (which I'll end up having to rewrite, to get its content up to snuff) and now I'm writing backward in time to flesh out the history. The book I just finished is ancient history fleshed out. I intend to write at least one more books also that covers more of the continuum of my world's history before I reach the "present", the time period where my real epic will transpire. I have ideas for at least one. There are other ideas still in the wings of ideahood that might turn into books between the past that I'm currently writing and the present.
That's cool. Currently, my goal with writing is first to get to a big cataclysmic event in my world's history, then eventually I'm actually hoping to get it into the space age. Technology in a fantasy world has been something I've always been interested in, and this is no exception. I'm going to be trying to increase the technology level of my world as it goes along.
Quote:
I want to publish!!! I'm very ambitious about that.

How many books to your world's history have you finished so far?
So far...it's just three books that occur at the same time (although, MAJOR books), another book that fleshes out a bit of history of one of those three books, and then the book I just finished, which opens up an entirely new bit of history.
Quote:
And you said you're working on writing about twenty? Does that mean that you have their plotlines done and the ideas set up, or are you actually currently in the process of writing twenty simultaneously? That would be quite a job. I can't imagine trying to do that. I can't even write two simultaneously with any ease at all. If I have two going, I always revert to one until it's finished and leave the other on the backburner.
Basically, what it means is that...I've got the plot ideas down for about twenty. Yikes, I don't think I could ever write twenty at the same time! Two is the most I've ever done, and that was more of a back-and-forth thing. But yeah, I'm basically putting down plot ideas to further the Big Plot, the whole story of my world.
Quote:
Writing fiction without much magic is an ambition I hope to achieve soon. Perhaps in my next book, after I finish editing the one I've recently finished. At present, I can't help but give magic a very large role. It would be neat to experiment with.

Do you find your stories more interesting with or without much magic? Or does it matter, in your opinion?
To me, it's all about the characters. If magic is there, it's only there as a device for things to happen. For example, in my latest book, I get to show how one character's messing with sorcery pretty much screws him over in the end.
Quote:
That would be cool . Certainly has elbow room for spookiness, depending on how you do it. Which do you generally find to be more clever in your books, your heroes or your villains?
Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a lot of creepy stuff into that novel...and into the follow-ups to it...because...well, a reason that would pretty much spoil the ending of what I've got planned for that book.

And on the whole, my villains tend to be craftier, except towards the end. By that time, many of them have gone crazy for one reason or another, at least to some degree. It's somewhat like what Brian Jacques often does to his main villains.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM   #282
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Thain: nice work so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief
Good job, and I wish you complete success in your goals.
Thanks. I'm actually doing an outline this time (first time I've done it for a story) and it's helping me so much! I've only done part of it, but now I actually have something to go on, and it's less of making it up as I go, which I still do, but not as much. Now if only I could come up with character names, so I'll be able to fill up all those big gaps in between words...
I had considered making another book with the same characters, but I realized (or rather, MB pointed out) that it might not work out because I wouldn't have enough new material.

Ugh, I have so many books to work on. Besides my mystery, I have my fantasy series (3 books, but I've only started one so far), another mystery book, and then a few others that are just ideas now. I'm not sure how many, but I don't feel like going and searching through my room to find my plot notebook right now.

Quote:
Perhaps you could either write your new ideas down in another document and save them, or better yet, somehow merge them (or some of them) with your old book, perhaps with a few revisions? When a new inspiration hits it's really nice to go with it, but . . . well, I expect that writing two books at once would be really hard.
Actually, that wouldn't work very well, because they're two different genre (mystery and fantasy.) Thanks for the idea, though. I might do that for some other plot ideas.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #283
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
That's cool. Currently, my goal with writing is first to get to a big cataclysmic event in my world's history, then eventually I'm actually hoping to get it into the space age. Technology in a fantasy world has been something I've always been interested in, and this is no exception. I'm going to be trying to increase the technology level of my world as it goes along.
I've also been hoping to wind up my books in a science fiction age.
Quote:
So far...it's just three books that occur at the same time (although, MAJOR books), another book that fleshes out a bit of history of one of those three books, and then the book I just finished, which opens up an entirely new bit of history.
Cool . You've clearly been working for a long time on this project. I really want you to get published sometime.
Quote:
Basically, what it means is that...I've got the plot ideas down for about twenty.
Okay, that was what I originally thought you meant. Then I started overthinking what you'd written, a problem I have that sometimes makes me answer questions incorrectly on exams.
Quote:
To me, it's all about the characters. If magic is there, it's only there as a device for things to happen. For example, in my latest book, I get to show how one character's messing with sorcery pretty much screws him over in the end.
Good. That sounds right. I heard something like that from a professional writer in the publishing book I'm reading. He said that for him, plot is not about a storyline but rather about character, and everything is about character.

When I write, my style is a bit different. In my first draft of whatever I'm writing, my characters are horribly developed. The story comes out, but the characters are pathetically written. Very stereotypical, very formulaic. I realize that when I'm editing and as I'm rewriting and editing, the characters and personalities take shape. That's just my present style.
Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a lot of creepy stuff into that novel...and into the follow-ups to it...because...well, a reason that would pretty much spoil the ending of what I've got planned for that book.
Good to keep that private then. Do your conclusions often end with big cliff-hangers, or are they pretty complete?

How many people get to read your books at present? I have a brother and sister who read my books regularly; they're my only audience unless I'm abnormally lucky.
Quote:
And on the whole, my villains tend to be craftier, except towards the end.
That's how I've always written before this book. My villains, or one of my villains, anyway, have always been much more intelligent than the heroes. The heroes somewhat get lucky because of inner fracturing between various villains, which has helped them out. In my most recent book, I've reversed that to a degree, though. Well . . . have I? *Starts thinking about it.* I guess that it's debatable as to who's smarter in my books, the two main good heroes or the major villain. Both the major villain and the heroes are very clever and tough. I think probably the villain is still smarter though.
Quote:
By that time, many of them have gone crazy for one reason or another, at least to some degree. It's somewhat like what Brian Jacques often does to his main villains.
I see. That's interesting. I haven't written that way before . . . in my books only good guys go mad . . . but that can turn out very well done, I know. Brian Jaques has done it very well, though I do wish he'd add a bit more variety and make them go mad a little less frequently .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-12-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #284
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
Thanks. I'm actually doing an outline this time (first time I've done it for a story) and it's helping me so much!
Good . That used to be one of the primary pieces of advice I'd give other people: Write out a plotline, an detailed is better! Now I can't do that myself anymore because my style of writing has alterred. Which isn't worse for me. It's just different. But anyway, I know that those outlines can really, really help.
Quote:
I've only done part of it, but now I actually have something to go on, and it's less of making it up as I go, which I still do, but not as much. Now if only I could come up with character names, so I'll be able to fill up all those big gaps in between words...
You could find English words that relate to the main theme of your character and his or her role in the book, or which reveal the character's personality, and then scramble them or write them backwards. Or you could find words from another language, if you have a dictionary to another language, and choose a word for your character's name that comes from the other language and relates to the theme of your character. That's what I'm planning to do in future books.
Quote:
Actually, that wouldn't work very well, because they're two different genre (mystery and fantasy.) Thanks for the idea, though. I might do that for some other plot ideas.
Well, the fantasy genre is about a certain variety of "technology" (for want of a better word). Fantasy is about environment (perhaps dragons, castles or other) and a form of technology (magic). You can have a mystery in a fantasy environment. That's easy.

Merely a suggestion.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #285
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
You could find English words that relate to the main theme of your character and his or her role in the book, or which reveal the character's personality, and then scramble them or write them backwards. Or you could find words from another language, if you have a dictionary to another language, and choose a word for your character's name that comes from the other language and relates to the theme of your character. That's what I'm planning to do in future books.
I might do that for my fantasy. But for my mystery, I'm thinking of doing more "normal" names. At least for the first name. I could use your suggestion for the last names, because I like having unique last names, or at least first and last names that sound good together. I don't know, but to me, some first names sound better with some last names.

Quote:
You can have a mystery in a fantasy environment. That's easy.
Actually, I am doing a mystery/fantasy, but for the two particular stories that I was talking about, it wouldn't have worked. Anyway, I've already written four chapters of my mystery, and I'm on my second or third for my fantasy (after some necessary starting over because of a huge plot change), so I think I want to keep them as two separate books. I already have the plots for both of them, so I don't want to have to start over again, if you know what I mean.

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #286
Curubethion

Quote:
I've also been hoping to wind up my books in a science fiction age.
That's awesome. [wierd voice]Aaaarchok in Spaaaace![/wierd voice]

Quote:
Cool . You've clearly been working for a long time on this project. I really want you to get published sometime.
Hey, thanks...and ditto! I know all of the work that went into Atharon, and I can only imagine how much work you put into your novels.
Quote:
Okay, that was what I originally thought you meant. Then I started overthinking what you'd written, a problem I have that sometimes makes me answer questions incorrectly on exams.
Haha, you're telling me! Run into that one all the time, overthinking. Ah, must be a curse of being brilliant.
Quote:
Good. That sounds right. I heard something like that from a professional writer in the publishing book I'm reading. He said that for him, plot is not about a storyline but rather about character, and everything is about character.

When I write, my style is a bit different. In my first draft of whatever I'm writing, my characters are horribly developed. The story comes out, but the characters are pathetically written. Very stereotypical, very formulaic. I realize that when I'm editing and as I'm rewriting and editing, the characters and personalities take shape. That's just my present style.
Interesting thought. Very interesting.
Quote:
Good to keep that private then. Do your conclusions often end with big cliff-hangers, or are they pretty complete?
My conclusions are...mostly complete, unless it's like Part 1 of a trilogy. In that case, I leave a cliffhanger or two.
Quote:
How many people get to read your books at present? I have a brother and sister who read my books regularly; they're my only audience unless I'm abnormally lucky.
Well...I've had two good friends who've read some of the opening chapters of my book, and they've both read another one of my books. I've also had a parent read through a couple of my books...yeah, not a wide audience. I really should find some actual authors to do that.
Quote:
That's how I've always written before this book. My villains, or one of my villains, anyway, have always been much more intelligent than the heroes. The heroes somewhat get lucky because of inner fracturing between various villains, which has helped them out. In my most recent book, I've reversed that to a degree, though. Well . . . have I? *Starts thinking about it.* I guess that it's debatable as to who's smarter in my books, the two main good heroes or the major villain. Both the major villain and the heroes are very clever and tough. I think probably the villain is still smarter though.
You know, I think that's something of a typical preference among a lot of books, especially fantasy. The exception would be where the good guy has to use cunning to outwit the bad guy. But typically, there's a lot of "luckiness"...and fracturing between different factions also helps. I had a bit of that in my most recent book, where all the bad guys had different goals, so they ended up colliding and stuff like that.
Quote:
I see. That's interesting. I haven't written that way before . . . in my books only good guys go mad . . . but that can turn out very well done, I know. Brian Jaques has done it very well, though I do wish he'd add a bit more variety and make them go mad a little less frequently .
Hmm...good guys go mad. I did that in one book, kinda. My guy went into a mad bloodrage or something of the sort. Interesting thought, though. I'll have to have a look at it.

Haha, and yes, I think you can summarize every Redwall book as follows...
Bad guy shows up
Hero goes to find something to save the Abbey
Hero finds the something
Bad guy goes crazy
Hero duels and beats bad guy
Quote:
I might do that for my fantasy. But for my mystery, I'm thinking of doing more "normal" names. At least for the first name. I could use your suggestion for the last names, because I like having unique last names, or at least first and last names that sound good together. I don't know, but to me, some first names sound better with some last names.
Hmm, yes. Just be sure to find "normal names" that don't sound out of place. Like an orc named Bob.
Quote:
Actually, I am doing a mystery/fantasy, but for the two particular stories that I was talking about, it wouldn't have worked. Anyway, I've already written four chapters of my mystery, and I'm on my second or third for my fantasy (after some necessary starting over because of a huge plot change), so I think I want to keep them as two separate books. I already have the plots for both of them, so I don't want to have to start over again, if you know what I mean.
Well, good luck!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #287
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

My problem isn't finishing the book, like some people (not that I've finished anything yet), but figuring out how to start the gosh darn thing. And as for names, they just come to me. Except for fantasy. Those names need to be extra special.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #288
Curubethion

Ah, starting the book...that is a challenge. An interesting opening scene is always the best way to do things. Think of a major event that happens soon at the beginning of your intended plot, and jump into it.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:53 PM   #289
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That is very good advice. A strong opening and a continually fast pace to the story is essential to hold and grip the reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain
I might do that for my fantasy. But for my mystery, I'm thinking of doing more "normal" names.
That's a good idea. If it's a real-life, normal environment, that's definitely the way to go. Even in an odd fantasy style environment that might work too. Depends how it's done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain
Oh, I see. Well, best of luck with it .
Quote:
That's awesome. [wierd voice]Aaaarchok in Spaaaace![/wierd voice]
Lol.
Quote:
Haha, you're telling me! Run into that one all the time, overthinking. Ah, must be a curse of being brilliant.
Lol!
Quote:
My conclusions are...mostly complete, unless it's like Part 1 of a trilogy. In that case, I leave a cliffhanger or two.
It's good that they're mostly complete. I personally like good cliff hangers, but a lot of people like to be able to read a single, unified book that stands alone. It's easier to publish that way, I'd imagine.
Quote:
Well...I've had two good friends who've read some of the opening chapters of my book, and they've both read another one of my books. I've also had a parent read through a couple of my books...yeah, not a wide audience. I really should find some actual authors to do that.
I wish I could do that. Not knowing how to drive doesn't help. I'm in the process of learning that . . . don't have my licence yet.
Quote:
You know, I think that's something of a typical preference among a lot of books, especially fantasy. The exception would be where the good guy has to use cunning to outwit the bad guy. But typically, there's a lot of "luckiness"...and fracturing between different factions also helps. I had a bit of that in my most recent book, where all the bad guys had different goals, so they ended up colliding and stuff like that.
I hate luck in books or movies. To me, there should be a logical explanation, and if there isn't, . There are authors who can use luck in skillful ways. I know of one author who I think uses luck in such a way that it seems realistic. And of course aside from him, J.R.R. Tolkien's use of luck involving Biblo in the Hobbit is very amusing . But almost every time I've seen luck used, it's used as a cop-out technique to get the good guys out of a nasty situation. If the characters can't fight or think their way through it on talent, they shouldn't get out of it. Unless there's a plot circumstance which is logical and comes in to help them, of course.

I really like everything having logical explanations.

I find fracturing between evil factions to commonly be logical, because bad people are often self-oriented and focused not only on the advancement of their group but also upon their own personal advancement within the group. So that kind of luck that helps the good guys might be "lucky" from their perspective, but it actually makes a good deal of sense too. So that I can live with. But I really want to use skill or intelligence on the part of the good characters to get them their primary successes. That's by far the most interesting to me.
Quote:
Hmm...good guys go mad. I did that in one book, kinda. My guy went into a mad bloodrage or something of the sort. Interesting thought, though. I'll have to have a look at it.
Bloodrages are common enough in fantasy writing. That's because they can be very cool .
Quote:
Haha, and yes, I think you can summarize every Redwall book as follows...
Bad guy shows up
Hero goes to find something to save the Abbey
Hero finds the something
Bad guy goes crazy
Hero duels and beats bad guy
Yep, that's about it. There are a couple of the books that have slightly different things in them. I like Swartt Six-Claw a lot, for instance. He seemed to me a fairly unusual bad guy for Brian Jaques. I don't remember why anymore, because I remember neither him nor the book he was in. And there was one book . . . I think about a badger . . . which I also particularly liked. It's been a long time since I've read any of Brian Jaques' books.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-14-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 AM   #290
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Hmm, yes. Just be sure to find "normal names" that don't sound out of place. Like an orc named Bob.
It wouldn't be like that, because I was talking about my other mystery, the one that could actually possibly take place, not my fantasy one.

Actually, I was re-reading what I've written of my mystery just for fun, and I noticed some things that need fixing, but I don't want to erase what I wrote, becuase that would mean a lot of re-writing, so I'll probably just attach some stick notes that contain the edits.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #291
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Good show! Are you editing as you type?
Oh yes. I came up with three new races as I was editing the first book and writing the second.

Quote:
Sounds like me. So far only one person has read any of my stuff is my friend that I'm writing the Fantasy comedy with. But I've got quite a few people waiting for me to publish.

And yeah I know this was directed at Curub, but I answered it anyway

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #292
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
If anybody wants me to read their books (or extracts) just Pm them to me.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #293
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Well, looks like I've just made yet another conscious decision to rewrite ZAQ-1 almost completely. Not to say it's bad, but basically I need to triple the length of everything I've written so far, and add some crazy Bradbury-like descriptions.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:55 AM   #294
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

TB I think it's a sign of quality that you're re-writing your book. More power to ya.

Thain, if you are stuck on names you could try using "working" names. I do this so I can just keep writing. Call your main character Bob or whatever until you think of the name that really fits him, so at least you don't have sentences like, "Then out of nowhere ____ tackled ____ from behind; needless to say ____ was surprised."
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #295
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I used a working name in one story. I named a character after a mooter. The name stuck and I'm still using it

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #296
Curubethion

The question being...which mooter would this be? (Or did I miss an obvious subtlety?)
Old 12-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #297
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia View Post
I used a working name in one story. I named a character after a mooter. The name stuck and I'm still using it
Who? Who!?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #298
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hahah, now you've done it, Acalewia! Now all you have to say is that they have to buy the book to find out and you've got your first sales.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #299
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Hahah, now you've done it, Acalewia! Now all you have to say is that they have to buy the book to find out and you've got your first sales.

Haha!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #300
Curubethion

Pff, I'll just go to Borders and read it until I find out!