Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #261
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

I actually haven't been writing that much lately, but I started on a new book. So now I'm working on 2 books at the same time. Don't know if that's the best idea, but I didn't want to forget the ideas that I had for the other book, so whatever.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #262
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
I actually haven't been writing that much lately, but I started on a new book. So now I'm working on 2 books at the same time. Don't know if that's the best idea, but I didn't want to forget the ideas that I had for the other book, so whatever.
I do that too, unfortunately.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #263
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Well...it depends. I did that once, and that way, when I got tired of working on the one book, I'd switch over to the other. The one bad thing is that you have to keep the two stories seperate. I mean, could you watch LOTR and Star Wars at the same time without getting them mixed up?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #264
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
Lol. Indeed, true. My dream is to cry after killing off a character, or something sad like that.
I'm afraid I'm rather falling for the female character in my most recent book . I really, really like her.
Quote:
Oh, yes. I actually made a conscious attempt to really do that this time, by taking one group of four characters and basing each one on one of the four basic humors. (sanguine, phlegmatic, melancholic, and one other personality type I can't remember right now...)
Yes, I urged my brother to do something similar to that recently when he was struggling with characters. He was complaining that all his characters seemed static and boring. So I urged him to look in the Bible for one of the lists of sins and pick one for each of his characters, and perhaps to pick out a bunch of good qualities from one of those lists too, and use one of those for each character . He was amused by the idea, but he's rather uninspired, so I'm not sure he'll use it.
Quote:
Yep...with one exception, since this is book 1 of three. There will be one plot thread that's resolved as part of a setup for the next two books. But pretty much, all the other threads will come to a head. And speaking of head...heads will most certainly roll. (That's the evil author in me)
Ah yes. Isn't it lovely to kill in books?

I love character vs. character confrontations. I'm trying to minimize as much as possible all clashes between characters and "troops". "Troops" die easily and often pretty meaninglessly. Character vs. character clashes always seem far more significant.
Quote:
Perhaps you could either write your new ideas down in another document and save them, or better yet, somehow merge them (or some of them) with your old book, perhaps with a few revisions? When a new inspiration hits it's really nice to go with it, but . . . well, I expect that writing two books at once would be really hard.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:55 PM   #265
Curubethion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I'm afraid I'm rather falling for the female character in my most recent book . I really, really like her.
A veritable Pygmalion, eh? Hmm...that would make an interesting book plot, too.
Quote:
Yes, I urged my brother to do something similar to that recently when he was struggling with characters. He was complaining that all his characters seemed static and boring. So I urged him to look in the Bible for one of the lists of sins and pick one for each of his characters, and perhaps to pick out a bunch of good qualities from one of those lists too, and use one of those for each character . He was amused by the idea, but he's rather uninspired, so I'm not sure he'll use it.
Ah, vices. Yes, it's good to have a focus for a character. Hmm...I might use the vices and virtues to base my magic system off of, actually. I've been trying to lend it some coherency, yet at the same time lend it some mystery. That might be the ticket. Seven types of black magic (focused around the vices) and seven types of white magic (focused around the virtues). Very subtle, of course.
Quote:
Ah yes. Isn't it lovely to kill in books?

I love character vs. character confrontations. I'm trying to minimize as much as possible all clashes between characters and "troops". "Troops" die easily and often pretty meaninglessly. Character vs. character clashes always seem far more significant.
Muahaha...yes, it is lovely to kill in books. Shakespearean tragedies are always such fun. The only problem I've got, is that I'm continuing into two more books. So, I can't kill too many characters, or I won't have anyone for Book 2!

Characters vs. troops are good for filler, but they really don't mean anything. Although an interesting thought: create an "NPC", if you will, that's one of the troops. I did that for one of my books. It helps to lend perspective to the conflict, I've found. I basically devoted parts of the book (short parts) to one soldier who went with the army, attacked the frontlines, and got killed.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #266
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Ah, vices. Yes, it's good to have a focus for a character. Hmm...I might use the vices and virtues to base my magic system off of, actually. I've been trying to lend it some coherency, yet at the same time lend it some mystery. That might be the ticket. Seven types of black magic (focused around the vices) and seven types of white magic (focused around the virtues). Very subtle, of course.
That's a good idea. That idea does give coherency and a sense of spiritual force and logic. That idea makes it feel as though it's a law of nature, which is very good.

Do you have a source for your virtues and vices in any religious, ethical or philosophical text, or are you choosing them on your own, based on what you see as being most important?
Quote:
Muahaha...yes, it is lovely to kill in books. Shakespearean tragedies are always such fun. The only problem I've got, is that I'm continuing into two more books. So, I can't kill too many characters, or I won't have anyone for Book 2!
Lol. I feel like Palpatine in Episode 3: "Do it!"
Quote:
Characters vs. troops are good for filler, but they really don't mean anything.
That's certainly true of my books. I'm determined to change that in my later books though, making random troops of tough armies less vulnerable and more threatening. I did that once in a previous book I wrote. One random enemy veteran showed up in a skirmish and wounded a main character in the leg. The wound was bad enough that the character was near crippled throughout the rest of the book and only very slowly recovered (never completely, though). I think that one instance is the only time I made any random troops dangerous against main characters in a real sense. Situations where they overwhelm main characters through sheer numbers don't count, in my view, for that again is about the coolness of the main characters and doesn't say anything for their attackers.

I've got to be a bit more merciful to my random non-character characters.
Quote:
Although an interesting thought: create an "NPC", if you will, that's one of the troops. I did that for one of my books. It helps to lend perspective to the conflict, I've found. I basically devoted parts of the book (short parts) to one soldier who went with the army, attacked the frontlines, and got killed.
I've done that before, though in a less long-term sense. In a battle scene I once just popped around to see from some ordinary troops' perspectives, briefly giving their backgrounds, motivations and feelings during the battle to try capturing the humanity of it. I don't remember whether I killed them all or not, but I think I probably did .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 AM   #267
Curubethion

Quote:
That's a good idea. That idea does give coherency and a sense of spiritual force and logic. That idea makes it feel as though it's a law of nature, which is very good.

Do you have a source for your virtues and vices in any religious, ethical or philosophical text, or are you choosing them on your own, based on what you see as being most important?
I'm probably just going off of the classic Judeo-Christian ones. Probably just looking at the Seven Deadly Sins, and spinning them into part of the magic system. Might be interesting...
Quote:
That's certainly true of my books. I'm determined to change that in my later books though, making random troops of tough armies less vulnerable and more threatening. I did that once in a previous book I wrote. One random enemy veteran showed up in a skirmish and wounded a main character in the leg. The wound was bad enough that the character was near crippled throughout the rest of the book and only very slowly recovered (never completely, though). I think that one instance is the only time I made any random troops dangerous against main characters in a real sense. Situations where they overwhelm main characters through sheer numbers don't count, in my view, for that again is about the coolness of the main characters and doesn't say anything for their attackers.
Ouch, that's interesting. I'll have to think about that. Yeah, good idea. And the enemy does need to be dangerous. True, the hero is generally skilled, but skilled enough to beat back 20-odd warriors? Only if they're extremely favored by the Satirev.
Quote:
I've got to be a bit more merciful to my random non-character characters.
No, no, no, SHOW NO MERCY!!
Quote:
I've done that before, though in a less long-term sense. In a battle scene I once just popped around to see from some ordinary troops' perspectives, briefly giving their backgrounds, motivations and feelings during the battle to try capturing the humanity of it. I don't remember whether I killed them all or not, but I think I probably did .
It's good to see that I'm not the only guy doing this. And I hope you killed them all. Not that I hated them, but you need to practice killing off characters, right?

I've been plodding along in my book. I really need to wrap it up. On the upside, though, I've got the end in sight. Fates have been determined, and all that's left is to write, and see just how exactly everything is going to turn out.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #268
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'm probably just going off of the classic Judeo-Christian ones. Probably just looking at the Seven Deadly Sins, and spinning them into part of the magic system. Might be interesting...
A very good choice, I think. Biblical morality was so vibrant and powerful that it transformed the Roman Empire completely and spread throughout Europe and the world, dominating the cultures of many nations for over a thousand years. And I believe it's all from God, so using that as the basis for your world structure is, I think, a very good choice. It should make for great reading.
Quote:
Ouch, that's interesting. I'll have to think about that. Yeah, good idea. And the enemy does need to be dangerous. True, the hero is generally skilled, but skilled enough to beat back 20-odd warriors? Only if they're extremely favored by the Satirev.
I'm still guilty of doing this a lot . I try to make as many fights as possible only between main characters nowadays, though. My main characters are so tough in my current book that it's only logical for them to be able to take out almost anyone, but in future books I hope I'll use less powerful characters. I'm thinking about making my next book, after I'm through with this big fantasy one, taking place in the same world many years later, but perhaps involving the issues of a small number of minor tribes in the wilderness somewhere. I might be able to keep the power levels much more even in that one, which would be an interesting change to play with.
Quote:
No, no, no, SHOW NO MERCY!!
Right. I stand corrected . I'll try to be more murderous in the future!

Lol.
Quote:
It's good to see that I'm not the only guy doing this. And I hope you killed them all. Not that I hated them, but you need to practice killing off characters, right?

I've been plodding along in my book. I really need to wrap it up. On the upside, though, I've got the end in sight. Fates have been determined, and all that's left is to write, and see just how exactly everything is going to turn out.
Yeah, it's hard to be sure before it all comes to its conclusion. I too have to really knuckle down on myself and write. I'm planning to do a lot of writing this week.

Keep it fast-paced if you can. Keep the events occurring that you most want to write and care about seeing. Speed of pace is very important, I think.

It's cool that you have the climax coming up . Those are so fun to write. I think you'll be in for a blast .

Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #269
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Not that you aren't already

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #270
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
Well, if you ever run low on old main charactes, get some new ones!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #271
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

The best advice I can give is: don't rush things.
Take your time and give life to the surroundings in the book, but make sure you leave something for the reader to make up in his/her own head.
Too detailed descriptions will make the reader dizzy; too little descriptions will make the reader lost.

Basically, explain basic details so the reader is able to imagine the rest.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 07-09-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #272
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:

Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #273
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

I'm already on chapter 3 of my most recent book. I planned to get to at least chapter 5 on this book by the end of the summer, and I'm pretty confident that I can do it. It's sort of a mystery/comedy. It's working out quite nicely, actually. I've actually been able to come up with quite a bit of non-lame comedy. I'm pretty much only working on this book for now, because I've just been able to come up with so many things for it.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #274
Curubethion

Quote:
A very good choice, I think. Biblical morality was so vibrant and powerful that it transformed the Roman Empire completely and spread throughout Europe and the world, dominating the cultures of many nations for over a thousand years. And I believe it's all from God, so using that as the basis for your world structure is, I think, a very good choice. It should make for great reading.
Cool...now I have to work on converting them over....hmm...especially interesting considering that it'll be a complete overhaul of the previous magic system. However-the good thing is, very little of the magic system was actually spelled out in the books I've written so far.
Quote:
I'm still guilty of doing this a lot . I try to make as many fights as possible only between main characters nowadays, though. My main characters are so tough in my current book that it's only logical for them to be able to take out almost anyone, but in future books I hope I'll use less powerful characters. I'm thinking about making my next book, after I'm through with this big fantasy one, taking place in the same world many years later, but perhaps involving the issues of a small number of minor tribes in the wilderness somewhere. I might be able to keep the power levels much more even in that one, which would be an interesting change to play with.
Yeah, that's fairly difficult to do, especially with fantasy. And especially when you like your characters too much...but characters have their place, after all.
Quote:

Lol.
Haha, yes...I think I fulfilled my bloodthirsty role as writer so far. In the climax of my most recent book, I put the body count of somewhat major characters at eight...*stops to recount*...yeah, that's right. Seven or eight characters dead.
Quote:
Yeah, it's hard to be sure before it all comes to its conclusion. I too have to really knuckle down on myself and write. I'm planning to do a lot of writing this week.

Keep it fast-paced if you can. Keep the events occurring that you most want to write and care about seeing. Speed of pace is very important, I think.

It's cool that you have the climax coming up . Those are so fun to write. I think you'll be in for a blast .
Ah, yes, it was very fun. And I actually did just finish the book today. Yay!! Blood was shed, plot lines were tied up (or perhaps cut off...), and new plots were dangled in the air for Book 2 of the trilogy. Maybe I'll start that in a week or so. I need some time to cool off.

Thain: nice work so far!

Last edited by Curubethion : 07-09-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #275
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I just finished typing Book one of my own fantasy trilogy. Typing up book 2. Writing book three. I might go back and add to them. Who knows

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #276
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I just finished typing Book one of my own fantasy trilogy. Typing up book 2. Writing book three. I might go back and add to them. Who knows
Good show! Are you editing as you type?

I'm thinking about how to add certain things to my story also. A couple of the characters don't have conclusions to their plot threads.
Quote:
Ah, yes, it was very fun. And I actually did just finish the book today. Yay!! Blood was shed, plot lines were tied up (or perhaps cut off...), and new plots were dangled in the air for Book 2 of the trilogy. Maybe I'll start that in a week or so. I need some time to cool off.
I always like to give myself a period of break also, after I finish a book or a major editing scheme.

I finished drafting my fantasy novel two or three weeks ago, though there's always more editing to do. I'm trying to figure out how to get a publishing house to accept it, as I've never tried publishing before.
Quote:
Cool...now I have to work on converting them over....hmm...especially interesting considering that it'll be a complete overhaul of the previous magic system. However-the good thing is, very little of the magic system was actually spelled out in the books I've written so far.
That helps. How much editing work do you anticipate having to do, to get the book in line with your new ideas?

I'm trying to figure out what my magic system is! Some parts of it are clear, but there is more I need to work out. I need to discover how the different parts of it link together and form unity. Very complicated .

I'm glad that, at any rate, I have no problems in figuring out yet what humans are allowed magic. Because almost all the main magic users are gods, have divine blood in them, or are blessed by the gods. In future books I'll describe how magic came to humans and that's when it'll all get much more complex. But how the magic connects to the spiritual realms of existence I really have to work out. So I'm going through some re-haul too . . . or will be after I know where I'm going.
Quote:
Haha, yes...I think I fulfilled my bloodthirsty role as writer so far. In the climax of my most recent book, I put the body count of somewhat major characters at eight...*stops to recount*...yeah, that's right. Seven or eight characters dead.
Lol! I've done that before . A lot . In my most recent book I'm a lot more merciful, but in previous books and RPGS . . . *Wipes his filthy red hands.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain
I'm already on chapter 3 of my most recent book. I planned to get to at least chapter 5 on this book by the end of the summer, and I'm pretty confident that I can do it. It's sort of a mystery/comedy. It's working out quite nicely, actually. I've actually been able to come up with quite a bit of non-lame comedy. I'm pretty much only working on this book for now, because I've just been able to come up with so many things for it.
Good job, and I wish you complete success in your goals.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-10-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #277
Curubethion

Congrats on the book finishing, Lief and Acally! I actually have to go and type my books up on the computer. I usually edit as I type.

Regarding the magic system, I really won't have to revamp all that much. Most "magic" has only been glimpsed, with no real looks into how it really works. So...what's on the outside will mostly stay the same, and it'll just be what's on the inside that gets revamped.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 AM   #278
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Congrats on the book finishing, Lief and Acally! I actually have to go and type my books up on the computer. I usually edit as I type.
Congratulations to you too .
Quote:
Regarding the magic system, I really won't have to revamp all that much. Most "magic" has only been glimpsed, with no real looks into how it really works. So...what's on the outside will mostly stay the same, and it'll just be what's on the inside that gets revamped.
Ah. That's fortunate. With me, what's on the inside creates the outside and they aren't very independent of one another. That complicates things for me. I'm glad you won't have to do very much editing while making that adjustment, though.

I'm curious as to what your book is like . Are you planning to try to publish it eventually, or is it just for your own pleasure and practice?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #279
Curubethion

Most of my books (at least, the fantasy ones) are fully intended for publication. I'm actually working on writing a huge amount of books, at least twenty or so, that flesh out and cover the history of my world. It should be interesting. I don't know many of the details, but the big stuff could be really, really cool.

The book I just finished (the one that's part 1 of a trilogy) doesn't have much of the magic system in it, but there's going to be others with a LOT of the magic system. For instance, I'm planning a book that tells the story of how a major evil wizard started up a school to train future evil wizards, and on the effects of that.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #280
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Most of my books (at least, the fantasy ones) are fully intended for publication. I'm actually working on writing a huge amount of books, at least twenty or so, that flesh out and cover the history of my world. It should be interesting. I don't know many of the details, but the big stuff could be really, really cool.
Cool. That's really what I'm doing too. I wrote one fantasy series (which I'll end up having to rewrite, to get its content up to snuff) and now I'm writing backward in time to flesh out the history. The book I just finished is ancient history fleshed out. I intend to write at least one more books also that covers more of the continuum of my world's history before I reach the "present", the time period where my real epic will transpire. I have ideas for at least one. There are other ideas still in the wings of ideahood that might turn into books between the past that I'm currently writing and the present.

I want to publish!!! I'm very ambitious about that.

How many books to your world's history have you finished so far?

And you said you're working on writing about twenty? Does that mean that you have their plotlines done and the ideas set up, or are you actually currently in the process of writing twenty simultaneously? That would be quite a job. I can't imagine trying to do that. I can't even write two simultaneously with any ease at all. If I have two going, I always revert to one until it's finished and leave the other on the backburner.
Quote:
The book I just finished (the one that's part 1 of a trilogy) doesn't have much of the magic system in it, but there's going to be others with a LOT of the magic system.
Writing fiction without much magic is an ambition I hope to achieve soon. Perhaps in my next book, after I finish editing the one I've recently finished. At present, I can't help but give magic a very large role. It would be neat to experiment with.

Do you find your stories more interesting with or without much magic? Or does it matter, in your opinion?
Quote:
For instance, I'm planning a book that tells the story of how a major evil wizard started up a school to train future evil wizards, and on the effects of that.
That would be cool . Certainly has elbow room for spookiness, depending on how you do it. Which do you generally find to be more clever in your books, your heroes or your villains?