Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 04:52 PM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I finally had some time to devote to tengwar. I've made little cards with the tengwar and their english soundcounterparts. I hope I can go over them in the mornings and evenings on the bus when I return from school. It's a silly way to learn something, I guess, but it worked for the chemical compounds so I'm hoping this works too.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:42 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

That doesn't sound silly, Eärniel - sounds like a good idea, and a great way to use time on a boring bus trip. Check back earlier on this thread, if you have time, I think all of us wrote some tips on how we memorized (I know I did). I hope you have a scanner that works or some other way to show us your Tengwar

Kansas, here we come! I wish

<------- TC - my location I've been to Lake Arrowhead many times. My husband's company had a house right on the lake that the upper-level managers got to use - had a boat and a private dock and everything! Sigh - they sold it a few years ago I live in Ventura county, to be a little more exact, if you know where that is. Southern Californians can have a reputation of being all gaa-gaa about movie stars, being tan and having plastic surgery, etc., which is TOTALLY not me, so I wrote the NORTHERN part of S. Cal, which is really very nice.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-16-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
TinuvielChild
Padawan

ooops...I never look at anyone's locations anymore! Silly TC.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:14 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I like knowing people's (at least approximate) locations so I know about when to look for posts from them. I'll look for East Coasters and Brits in the morning, etc.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-17-2002, 12:40 PM   #5
Earniel

I do have a scanner which I will use to bore you all to near death with my pathetic scribbles as soon as I can write them. Memorising is going to take a little while since the bus is often very full so I have to stand and then I don't have enough free hands to hold my cards. Also I'm trying to learn the quenya sound equivalents and the english sounds in one go.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:39 PM   #6
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Hey... I made a fancy siggy for my name in Tengwar (My name is Elizabeth actually...) Can you read it? You like?

-~*Sminty*~-
PS- Sorry it's sloppy... I did it with a mouse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myname.jpg (2.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-17-2002, 03:12 PM   #7
Earniel

That's indeed very fancy looking, Sminty! It's not sloppy, I think it's a very pretty design.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:27 PM   #8
TinuvielChild
Padawan

V. cool. Much prettiness, smintz! Earniel, keep learning the symbols! V. much fun when you have them down...I occasionally write notes to myself in the margin of my homeworks in Tengwar - or things about evil teachers, since I know that my teachers can't read it!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 09:46 PM   #9
katya
Elven Maiden

Sminty that is very cool. i love it! hmm... mouse...

TinuvielChild- i know what you mean about evil teachers! i am always writing things like, "I hate biology and Mr. St. Onge is a stupid pirate" (long story)
Old 10-17-2002, 10:33 PM   #10
Rían

katya - can you tell us what coast you're on (if that's ok, or more detail if that's ok, too) - so we can figure out if Kansas is the best place to meet up at a Starbucks and try our leaving-out-Tengwar-notes plan? (just kidding!) (see 10/16 posts about locations and Starbucks!)

Sminty - really nice! You have an 'L' and a "Z" in your name - 2 nice characters! My entmoot name and my real name (Sharon) don't come out very well - one looks like "yim" and the other like "dym" - oh well...

Eärniel - wow, learning English and Quenya Tengwar at the same time - my poor brain hurts just thinking of it! Sorry you have to stand up so much on the bus - yuck!

TC - I wrote out something from the Sil in honor of your finishing it, and I'll try to get it on later tonight or tomorrow. Congrats!

Old 10-18-2002, 01:05 PM   #11
Rían

OK, I got an idea for those of us with irritating keyboards that won't type the special characters - I'm going to type all the special characters here and then put them in my sig so they are ready to cut and paste *sigh, stupid keyboard!*

Ñ á ë Ã* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É

Last edited by Rían : 10-18-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:36 PM   #12
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Yeah! Go RÃ*an! Oh, and I have successfully corrupted 3 more people with Tengwar (and Entmoot, too!) by putting some purty Tengwar calligraphy on the front of my binder! Heeheehee...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-18-2002, 04:51 PM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

i am not on a coast. i live in th
e midwest, or so they say. in michigan.

Last edited by katya : 10-19-2002 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:00 PM   #14
Rían

ok, thanks, katya! I won't look for your posts if I'm up late at night, 'cuz you are probably asleep. Wow, we need some more West Coast Tengwar converts!

OK, here's something I did quick at soccer practice - I didn't really like the pen, it was too thick, but it was all I had. It is from the Sil, in honor of TC, who just finished it. See if you can tell me where it's from.... and I hope I crossed all my b's and p's and w's!

'bye everyone, I'm off camping this weekend - see you (hopefully) Sunday night!
Attached Images
File Type: gif birds1.gif (9.2 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Rían : 10-18-2002 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:19 AM   #15
Rían

Did anyone discover where this quote was from? (and more importantly, did I cross all my b's, p's and w's? )

Old 10-21-2002, 09:44 PM   #16
TinuvielChild
Padawan

*checks for crossed b's, p's, and w's* Yeah, it looks like you did....

"Softly in the gloom they heard the birds singing afar in Nargothrond, the sighing of the sea beyond, beyond the western world, in sand, in sand of pearls in Elvenland."

Although, in the line "...the sighing of the sea beyond...", you used 'of' and 'the' separately, though there is a character for the phrase 'of the'. It's the 'of' symbol (a 'b' with an extended stem) with another line beneath it. I love your capital tengwar! They are so pretty!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 10:47 PM   #17
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Oooh, very pretty RÃ*an!
Old 10-22-2002, 12:51 AM   #18
Rían

Thanks, TC and Menelvagor

Oh shoot, I totally forgot, TC! (TC wrote - "you used 'of' and 'the' separately, though there is a character for the phrase 'of the'. ") You're right!

Oh, and here's where I got it from, if you are tired of hunting for it:
From the Sil, chpt. 19, "Of Beren and Lúthien", where Finrod Felagund fought with Sauron - the poem starting with "He chanted a song of wizardry".

I thought it was really pretty imagery. (but so sad...)

Last edited by Rían : 10-22-2002 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:16 AM   #19
Rían

Oh, Menelvagor, your mailbox is full, I can't answer the PM. Silly irritating mailbox Be sure to clean out the copies of things you have sent - that's what I finally figured out has to be done. It saves everything that you send until you delete it, so your mailbox gets full.

Anyway, here's what I wrote:

Yes, that's exactly how I feel - it's less of a "show piece"! It kinda looks "real". (Menelvagor and I both like the look of regular pens)

I go off and on writing Tengwar. I'll skip for a few weeks, then write several times a day. Mostly bits and pieces while waiting in the car, etc. I started the journal during a bit of a difficult time a few months ago and wrote daily, but now I maybe write once or twice a week, then skip a week, etc. I write pretty quickly now, almost as fast as I would neatly print something (with occasional pauses for the 1 or 2 letters I still have trouble with!). My problem is I can't read it back fast. I pretty much have to read it letter by letter, except for short words like "to" or "are". Can you read it at all quickly? Anyway, most of my pleasure comes from the actual writing and the way it looks, not the reading back, so I can doodle just about anything and enjoy it. How about you?

(and how about the rest of you guys, too - can you read back quickly? I sure can't!)

Last edited by Rían : 10-22-2002 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:33 AM   #20
katya
Elven Maiden

I can read my own fairly quickly especially if i know what i wrote about. Not as fast as i can write though
Closed Thread