Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-25-2001, 10:55 AM   #1
Captain Stern

Feanor vs Fingolfin ( let's clear it up! )

Here's a link to a very good discussion that should finaly convinvce you that Feanor is the mightiest.

pub8.ezboard.com/fthelotr...D=31.topic

And let me just add that people who argue for Fingolfin are just reading the book with a closed mind, yes Fingolfin is a more likeable character than Feanor but you shouldn't let this cloud you'r judgement, engaging in silly propoganda where it has no place.
Old 05-28-2001, 01:41 AM   #2
Inoldonil

Re: Feanor vs Fingolfin ( let's clear it up! )

There's inconsistancies within The Silmarillion about that. Fingolfin is the mightiest of the sons of Finwe, and Feanor is the mightiest of all the Children of Iluvatar. I think it may atleast be concluded in the Silmaillion, however, that Feanor is indeed the greatest of the Quendi and Hildor.

Yet an essay written by JRR Tolkien in the last four years of his life has something else to say. This is the Shibboleth of Feanor published in The Peoples of Middle-earth. Here among the Eldar in Valinor Galadriel and Feanor are the greatest, Feanor 'maybe' being greater than Galadriel. In a note attached to this these two together with the greatest of the Eldar (altogether), Luthien, make up the main legends and tales of the Elder Days.

But does it really matter who beats who?