Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2002, 10:28 PM   #1
Ocarina654
Sapling

Location: A box under the stairs in the corner of the basement half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait shop. You know the place.
Writing Help

HELLO!!! WAZP EVERYONE!! Hey i need help with one of my stories. I need a couple characters. give me a couple ideas. dont like really GIVE me characters. just some ideas. like a name (or 2 or 3) and just a little personality... oh and these people live in a desert farming type community, but its modern, maybe even a decade or 2 in the future, but not to techno. Please!!! i thinking makeing good charecters is the hardest part!!! THANX FOR EVERYONE THAT HELPS!!!
Ocarina654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:37 PM   #2
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i'm not going to give you characters, because i believe that for a character to really work in a story, they have to come from the mind of the author. However, i will give you some ways to develop characters (these i got from a creative writing course 2 years ago, and i use them frequently. they're very useful):

Branching Out: making a list of the character's traits and characteristics, both physical and personality-wise.

People Soup: taking characteristics/traits from various different people and combining them to make a new character

those are the 2 that i use most frequently, hope they help. oh-and for names, go with names that reflect their personality and environment. For example: someone in the future might have a really weird-sounding name, whereas someone in a story set in our time would have a more normal name. Surnames are usually "whatever", you can play around with those more than you can with given names. hope this helps! and good luck on your story.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:31 PM   #3
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Well what characters do you already have, and what's the point of the story.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote