Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2002, 01:39 PM   #1
Laughing Woman
Sapling

Tom Bombadil hobbit movies

Hi, I'm new to the board. Could someone just list the names of the Hobbit movies for me? I am a teacher and want to view them for my tutoring program for children with learning disabilities. Thanks much! laughing woman
Old 03-20-2002, 04:38 AM   #2
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

The Hobbit directed by Arthur Rankin Jr.

quite simple he

as for the other animated movies they are

The Lord of the Rings directed by Ralph Bakshi

The Return of the king (can't remember the name of the director)

i hope it help
Old 03-20-2002, 11:00 AM   #3
Laughing Woman
Sapling

Tom Bombadil Thanks so much

Thank you Thank you Thank you. I really appreciate your quick response. I read the Hobbit and LOTR many years ago. Then I read it again just for the beauty of its language. Now I'm reading Silmarillon. I may read the Hobbit again. It sounds like I could definitely use some pointers though on how to introduce these movies to kids with learning disabilities. Any ideas about what scenes to show. I gather that the Hobbit is the best animated film from all you said. My goal is to have them learn about the delight of reading even though it is very hard for them. Again, I cherish all your input. Thanks
Old 03-20-2002, 11:50 AM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

It seems you clicked the "New Thread" button instead of "Post Reply", it's a common mistake, so I've merged the threads.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:20 AM   #5
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

The Hobbit (the book) is a book make for children, in that light, i think it can be a very good choice of book to introduce kids the joy of reading. It look a little big but it's not as hard to understand (read) than other Tolkien book.

as for what scene you should show your kids i sugest that you look the animated movies before, to get your own idea about the movies as you might not like them. They aren't exactely Disney movies But the Hobbit is definately a child movies.

me ?? i like The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, while i found the return of the king horrible. But that's me.

The Hobbit is the only complete of those 3 films Going from the begining of the book up to the end.

I'm not exactely a teacher so i don't know realy how to introduce it to kids, especialy kids with learning disability. But i'll watch it a couple of time and try to make a review of it to help you.

If you have trouble finding a copy of it i can make a copy and ship it for you.

anyway i hope once again it help you.

good luck
Old 03-21-2002, 11:39 AM   #6
Laughing Woman
Sapling

Hobbit & teaching reading

Thanks so much. I am sure I will find the movie at the video store or at the library. I would like your ideas about which clips to show as well. Also, if I were to select certain passages to help kids with reading which ones would you suggest? I am so glad I have an expert on the Hobbit to assist me. Thanks again so much. Happy Hobbit to you
Old 03-21-2002, 05:38 PM   #7
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

I would sugest the enigma contest between Bilbo and Golum

i'm going to watch it tonight but meanwhile, here's a review taken from IMDB.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pirate1_power
New York City

Date: 13 February 2002
Summary: 25 Years of a Rankin/Bass Classic

"Many ages ago, when this ancient planet was not quite so ancient --- long before Man recorded his History --- there was the time of Middle-earth, when Man shared his days with Elves, Dwarves, Wizards, Goblins, Dragons and .... Hobbits." On the Sunday evening after Thanksgving, 1977, when we first heard John Huston utter those words, little did those of us tuned in to NBC that night know that what we were about to witness was no ordinary Rankin/Bass Production. This one --- the first major animated adaptation of Tolkien, and the first such adaptation to be authorized by the Tolkien Estate --- was probably one of the most daring experiments in traditional animation since Disney's attempt in 1959 to film Sleeping Beauty in widescreen. That Peter Jackson's film version of The Fellowship of the Ring has received its 13 Academy Award nominations on the 25th Anniversary Year of Rankin/Bass' "The Hobbit" speaks volumes about just how much Tolkien's works have influenced our generation. While many people may have said that they had wondered --- without even thinking about it --- what an animated Bilbo Baggins would be like, only Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Jules Bass, armed with the stamina that had seen them through most of their productions since Rudolph and Frosty, would dare to take on the job first. Even now, 25 years on, the result of their efforts continues to shine like a jewel in the fabled lost treasure of the Lonely Mountain that is at the core of Bilbo's adventure. And this, of course, despite our Mr. Baggins' assertion that adventures tend to make one late for dinner! Choosing Orson Bean to take on the voice of Bilbo gave R/B a credibility that the team had not fully taken advantage of since the company's 1970 release "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town." Only Romeo Muller could give the Hobbit an erudite, sharp wit that is only matched by the late Sir Michael Hordern in a BBC Radio version of the story: prior to Thorin and Company's capture by the Goblins, Bilbo, flashing back to the Unexpected party, reflects: "Dwarves have a strange notion of perfection." Later, confronting Gollum, Bilbo's wit strikes again when he merely introduces himself: "I am Mr. Bilbo Baggins. I've lost my Dwarves, my Wizard and my way." John Huston's Gandalf, oddly, inspired me to check out more of his film and his biography. Even now, I remain surprised that after "The Hobbit" he was able to take on the film version of the Broadway hit Annie and bring to it an eagerness few directors can possess. When Rankin/Bass needed John again to reprise his role for The Return of the King, I was among those who rejoiced, because, for me (and, I suppose, for most of us), John Huston WAS Gandalf. You dared not have anybody else in the role. I recall a few years after seeing this film that I read a book which was a collection of essays that compared classic children's books to their motion-picture counterparts. Among the titles cited were "Treasure Island," "Charlotte's Web," "The Little Prince," and, naturally, "The Hobbit." The essayist who wrote on "The Hobbit," whose name I've since forgotten, was quite perturbed over the film, dismissing Rankin/Bass' rendition of Bilbo as being overly cute. Given that the experiment that was "The Hobbit" was unlike anything else R/B had ever done, it is clear, at least to me, that this film was not developed for the purpose of being 'cute'. At its very nature, "The Hobbit" was probably the first major attempt at a dramatic television special rendered entirely in traditional, hand-drawn animation. It is, I believe, an genre that few animation studios since have ever seriously explored. The reason for that is simply that there aren't any such entities willing to take on that kind of challenge. Then again, nobody could take on such a challenge the way Rankin/Bass did. 25 years later, Rankin/Bass' "The Hobbit" still stands tall .... and, I hope, will remain in that position, to inspire a new generation of Tolkien fans --- men, women and children for whom, in the words of the film's title song, "the mold of your life is in your hands to break." Thanks, Arthur and Jules. Peter Jackson might have done Middle-earth the best (so far), but you guys took us there first. And we'll always be grateful to you because of it. By the way, do you think that Bilbo can have his dinner now?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope it help... i've chosen this review because unlike most other who only critiscise the film, not seeing the immense chalenge that it is to make an addaptation, and The Hobbit is one of the best addaptation i've ever seen, this one give a positive view of the movies.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:57 PM   #8
Laughing Woman
Sapling

bilbo and gollum

Thanks for the suggestion. I just bought my own copy of the hobbit so I will underline that section. I really appreciate getting the review as well. Hope you have a hobbit day.

Old 03-21-2002, 06:17 PM   #9
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

Glad to be of help...

anything else you have but to ask
Old 03-21-2002, 11:14 PM   #10
dark over lord
Hobbit

make it intresting and take them to watch the movie. then when they to to the ending tell them to read the book to find out what happens next
The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic, for now I find, I have no choice at all. I am a warrior, let the battled be joined.

-dinobot, and me, before i went and got myself shot-

The sleeper has awakend, i am the prince of all sayans once again-Vegeta-
dark over lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:43 AM   #11
Laughing Woman
Sapling

Tom Bombadil "how golf was invented"

Thanks I think having them see parts and read parts is a great idea. I like having kids predict what might happen and then read to see if they are right.

There is a section in the first chapter that I read tonight that I just love. I think it could be pulled out and read as a way of getting the kids to write their own imaginative background story. It's a great joke "How golf was invented." What a traditional myth kind of story turned upside down. Instead of how the skunk got its stripe, it's how golf was invented. What a wonderful parody. Hope we can continue to read these wonderful stories with new eyes..

Last edited by Laughing Woman : 03-22-2002 at 01:44 AM.
Laughing Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #12
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

There was only the one... and it wasn't very good.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:35 PM   #13
Xivigg
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Because you don't like it don't mean it's not good.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #14
Laughing Woman
Sapling

Gandalf hobbits forever

Dear Hobbits,

We have various opinions about hobbit movies, but we all agree we love hobbits. As another famous movie hero said, "Let's not squabble over who killed who. This should be a happy (or hobbit) occasion.

Thanks for all your wonderful responses. I love being in Middle Earth.

Quote:
Each of us belongs to the imagination. Becoming citizens of that nation is our gift to the world.
(my own tag line)