Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Beren may have released Finrod from his oath because, as happened, keeping it was very dangerous to Finrod: In the event of keeping it, he died; Orodreth, his brother, whom Finrod left as regent, was briefly usurped by Celegorm and Curufin. More importantly, it was in keeping (IMO) with the heir of the House of Bëor that he made no demands of covenant upon the powerful Elven lord to whom the First House of the Edain were vassals. Finrod accompanied Beren of his own free will.

In Lefty’s defense – and this is no criticism of what you’ve written, Calandil – agnatic succession is messy. It isn’t clear-cut like primogeniture; but perhaps it works well when the tribe is constantly under threat of being overwhelmed and killed. The elders of the tribe (the Senate, if you will) often have input into who becomes the next king or chieftain: it can be a messy process. If that was the case with the succession of Barahir and Beren, it easily explains how another claimant to the chieftainship would be passed over.

Welcome to Entmoot!

(As an aside, I have been reading and re-reading the passage when Frodo meets Gildor. I am struck by Gildor’s comment, “Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.” I think Gildor’s description of himself, “Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod”, means he must have been one of Finrod’s counselors, perhaps even his chief counselor, and this very decision of Finrod’s to accompany Beren was probably on his mind as he counseled Frodo.)
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote