Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Mornorngûr
Hobbit

A Balrog's raiment

I have always wondered if (given the fact that they were Maia) Balrog's could change their shape or walk unclad. Is it ever explicitly stated anywhere by Tolkien that Balrog's were bound to their Valaraukar form?. I know that this obviously sounds absurd but even though it was never stated anywhere that they did or could do this, was it ever stated anywhere that they couldn't? and if so why?.

Can anyone answer this please?

Thanks.

Then Sauron spake and said thou trall, the price thou askest is but small.
Mornorngûr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
ASmileThatExplodes
Hobbit

Mmm.. Good question. ;o I think that they could change their shapes before they were bound to Melkor. After that, they were bound to their 'evil' shapes, because Melkor was their 'master'.

In my opinion, that sounds reasonable, because Melkor was also bound to Arda during his years in Angband, wasn't he?
ASmileThatExplodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Mornorngûr
Hobbit

Yeah I agree that they were more than likely bound to that form, but I don't think it is ever actually stated that they were.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Galin
Elven Warrior

This might interest those who haven't read it yet; interesting in general anyway, concerning a self-arraying, from JRRT's Ósanwe-centa:

Quote:
Here Pengolodh adds a long note on the use of hroar by the Valar. In brief he says that though in origin a 'self-arraying', it may tend to approach the state of 'incarnation', especially with the lesser members of that order (the Maiar). 'It is said that the longer and the more the same hroa is used, the greater is the bond of habit, and the less do the 'self-arrayed' desire to leave it. As raiment may soon cease to be adornment, and becomes (as is said in the tongues of both Elves and Men) a 'habit', a customary garb. Or if among Elves and Men it be worn to mitigate heat or cold, it soon makes the clad body less able to endure these things when naked'.

Pengolodh also cites the opinion that if a 'spirit' (that is, one of those not embodied by creation) uses a hroa for the furtherance of its personal purposes, or (still more) for the enjoyment of bodily faculties, it finds it increasingly difficult to operate without the hroa. The things that are most binding are those that in the Incarnate have to do with the life of the hroa itself, its sustenance and its propagation. Thus eating and drinking are binding, but not the delight in beauty of sound or form. Most binding is begetting or conceiving.

'We do not know the axani (laws, rules, as primarily proceeding from Eru) that were laid down upon the Valar with particular reference to their state, but it seems clear that there was no axan against these things. Nonetheless it appears to be an axan, or maybe necessary consequence, that if they are done, then the spirit must dwell in the body that it used, and be under the same necessities as the Incarnate. The only case that is known in the histories of the Eldar is that of Melian who became the spouse of King Elu-thingol. This certainly was not evil or against the will of Eru, and though it led to sorrow, both Elves and Men were enriched.

'The great Valar do not do these things: they beget not, neither do they eat and drink, save at the high asari, in token of their lordship and indwelling of Arda, and for the blessing of the sustenance of the Children. Melkor alone of the Great became at last bound to a bodily form; but that was because of the use that he made of this in his purpose to become Lord of the Incarnate, and of the great evils that he did in the visible body. Also he had dissipated his native powers in the control of his agents and servants, so that he became in the end, in himself and without their support, a weakened thing, consumed by hate and unable to restore himself from the state into which he had fallen. Even his visible form he could no longer master, so that its hideousness could not any longer be masked, and it showed forth the evil of his mind. So it was also with even some of his greatest servants, as in these later days we see: they became wedded to the forms of their evil deeds, (...)'
The text (this is only one part) was published in Vinyar Tengwar -- can't recall what number VT at the moment.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Mornorngûr
Hobbit

Well Galin that is a very useful quote and the information in it pretty much answers my question, thanks I had not read this before.
However the main point of interest here for me is the consequence of begetting, I did not realise that Melian was unable to abandon her body, I foolishly assumed that she choose to stay in that form for Elwë's sake.

Last edited by Mornorngûr : 07-29-2011 at 06:39 AM.