Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #81
thekingofgondor
Sapling

I've always been partial to Sam and Eowyn. They both are unlikely heroes who achieve incredible deeds even though the odds are stacked against them. My favorite parts of Sam's are any time he rises to the occasion and does something heroic, like at the tower of Cirith Ungol, or killing Shelob, or pretty much carrying Frodo the entire way up Mount Doom. My favorite Eowyn parts are the obvious one (killing the Witch-king) and when she finally finds peace with herself in the House of Healing and moves on from her depression about Aragorn.
thekingofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #82
Beren3000
FĂ«anorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofgondor View Post
I've always been partial to Sam and Eowyn. They both are unlikely heroes who achieve incredible deeds even though the odds are stacked against them. My favorite parts of Sam's are any time he rises to the occasion and does something heroic, like at the tower of Cirith Ungol, or killing Shelob, or pretty much carrying Frodo the entire way up Mount Doom. My favorite Eowyn parts are the obvious one (killing the Witch-king) and when she finally finds peace with herself in the House of Healing and moves on from her depression about Aragorn.
Welcome to the Moot, your majesty
I guess my favorite character has shifted over the years and the (many) re-readings; at the moment, my definite favorite is Faramir: he is heroic, noble, virtuous, loyal, brave, patriotic, compassionate, intelligent, wise, merciful, ...
I think everything he says can be turned into a timeless quote!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #83
thekingofgondor
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000 View Post
Welcome to the Moot, your majesty
Thank you very much sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000 View Post
at the moment, my definite favorite is Faramir
I'm also a big Faramir fan, but with so many great characters in the books, I had to whittle it down to just two. But he would probably be up there in the Top Ten, especially since I love the Eowyn/Faramir pairing a lot.
thekingofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #84
ASmileThatExplodes
Hobbit

Legolas is my favorite character in the book. I love Elves in general, but Legolas has something special, I can't really express it in words. I also love Gimli a lot, he's so funny!
I also pay a lot of attention to Cirdan, don't know why. The fact that he stays in Middle-Earth to protect the Havens, even after Elrond's and Galadriel's departure to Valinor, is just really, really brave, I think. It must be so lonely there then... That really fascinates me, haha. (:
ASmileThatExplodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #85
Beren3000
FĂ«anorophobic

Hello, ASTE and welcome to the Moot
I hope you don't mind me acronymizing your nickname

I don't know about Legolas, I think the movies ruined him for me: Orlando Bloom gives him a boyish air that is too alien to Tolkien's Elves. He does have good lines in the book but if you ask me about Elves, I'll have to go with Galadriel hands down. She is such a complex and austere character yet familiar and accessible as well. Pure Elvish! It also helps that she's associated with Cate Blanchett (an amazing actress IMHO)
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #86
ASmileThatExplodes
Hobbit

Of course I don't mind that, haha.

Yeah, I think Cate's a very good actress, indeed! She's a real Elf in the movies.
ASmileThatExplodes is offline   Reply With Quote