Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Atlas Shrugged

I had heard something a few years ago - then didn't hear any more. But I just saw this about a week ago (article with trailer):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-target-175724

Apparently, they've turned Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged into a movie! It is indie produced, with no big stars and done for under $10 million. It's actually the first part of an intended trilogy. If this one doesn't make money, they won't make the others. This one opens tomorrow - April 15. I recognize some Chicago scenes in the trailer, so I suspect some of the filming was done here.

I read the book about 10 years ago. It's a biggie - almost 1200 pages.

Anyone else read the book? Anyone planning to see it?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yeah, when I was about 19 or 20 i went through an anarcho-capitalist phase- went so far left I came out right, as I joked at the time- and read most of her stuff.

I think I've posted this before, but:

Quote:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

--Kung Fu Monkey
So far the reviews have been less than kind. It got a wopping 6% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Quote:
Here's a sampling of commentary:

Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer: "Atlas Shrugged. I arched eyebrow, scrunched forehead, yawned."

Roger Ebert: "The most anticlimactic non-event since Geraldo Rivera broke into Al Capone's vault. I suspect only someone very familiar with Rand's 1957 novel could understand the film at all, and I doubt they will be happy with it. For the rest of us, it involves a series of business meetings in luxurious retro leather-and-brass board rooms and offices, and restaurants and bedrooms that look borrowed from a hotel no doubt known as the Robber Baron Arms."

Joe Morgenstern, Wall Street Journal: "The book was published in 1957, yet the clumsiness of this production makes it seem antediluvian."

Bill Goodykoontz, Arizona Republic: "It has taken decades to bring Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" to the big screen.They should have waited longer."

Kurt Loder, the former Rolling Stone writer, for the Libertarian site, Reason Online: "The new, long-awaited film version of Atlas Shrugged is a mess, full of embalmed talk, enervated performances, impoverished effects, and cinematography that would barely pass muster in a TV show. Sitting through this picture is like watching early rehearsals of a stage play that's clearly doomed."

Peter Dubruge, Variety: "Part one of a trilogy that may never see completion, this hasty, low-budget adaptation would have Ayn Rand spinning in her grave."

Loren King, Boston Globe: "Even fans of Rand's 1957 antigovernment manifesto may balk at having to endure dialogue that would be banal on the Lifetime channel, along with wooden performances..."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post

So far the reviews have been less than kind. It got a wopping 6% on Rotten Tomatoes.
. . . Wow. Catwoman got 10%.

I've always had a distaste for writing novels to disseminate politico-philosophical ideas. Of course, having a distaste for the politico-philosophical ideas doesn't help.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Valandil

Yes - I saw some early reviews that were very harsh. But many of those zeroed in on Rand's ideas themselves. I saw a few blogs by conservative bloggers who seemed happy that the film was good - much better than they had feared it would be. But those could be plants.

I might watch it - out of curiosity. I've read the book, so I will be able to follow it. Also - I first read it when I was in my late 30's - not 14 (when I was reading LOTR), so I think I can avoid the 'Kung Fu Monkey' results.

Frankly, I think there IS a kernel of truth in Rand's ideas. But she sure pounds away at it. And she takes things to a great extreme. Obviously, I'm not in complete agreement with her. Far from it. I just did some reading on her the other day, and found something ironic. She considered herself a 'free thinker' of course. She had a number of followers who would gather around her to meet and discuss things (one of whom was Alan Greenspan!). The ironic part is - she seemed to have been quite tyrannical about the other 'free thinkers' falling in step with her ideas 100%!

Still - it's interesting to me that this movie was made at all. I figure I don't have a lot of time to see it.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
:
:
I've always had a distaste for writing novels to disseminate politico-philosophical ideas. Of course, having a distaste for the politico-philosophical ideas doesn't help.
Actually - even JRRT wrote about the use of fiction (or 'fairy tales') as a means of revealing truth. I think that's why a lot of fiction gets written.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I forced myself to read the book years ago, but wasn't all that impressed. A very simplistic and self-centered view of existence. One could make the argument that there is a certain truth to her views, since many people seem to espouse them, but they aren't generally the positive people in our society.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
. . . Wow. Catwoman got 10%.

Yeah, the negative ones seem to be better- Candide, 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World.

One of my favorite SF authors has, Ursula LeGuin has a strong tendency to the didactic which sometimes overwhelms.

Rand is much better in her shorter fictions- Anthem, or We the Living- even The Fountainhead, which was turned into a not bad film.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote