Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2000, 05:31 PM   #1
Film Hobbit

LOTR Teaser Posters

New Line has released 3 LOTR Teaser Posters, one for each film. They are rather cool looking, get a look at them <A HREF=http://pub18.ezboard.com/ffilmhobbithobbitnewsnetwork>HERE</A>

Edited for fixing link.
Old 11-09-2000, 11:19 PM   #2
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: LOTR Teaser Posters

I don't really like their look. Not very LotR-ish, IMO.
Old 11-10-2000, 02:46 AM   #3
Eruve

How dod you get to see the posters, GAR? Film Hobbit's link doesn't work for me.
Old 11-10-2000, 08:41 AM   #4
Fat middle

you can find them at TOR.n and in other sites. Anayway, TOR.n updated the news to say they were NOT LOTR teaser poster. they were only previous concept art for promotional and these three were discarded.

i'm happy of that because i didn't like them. BTW, does anybody knows what are those signs? are they LOTR related?
Old 11-10-2000, 01:09 PM   #5
anduin

FM, I think those are actually rejects of Prince's "name".
Old 11-11-2000, 07:53 AM   #6
Michael Martinez

I sent Coming Attractions my guesses for what the symbols mean but I haven't had time to check and see if they've included my comments in their analyses or if they've snubbed me.

The first poster appears to use the sword (or dagger) and Ring to represent the Nazgul and Sauron. Boromir's redemption and death seem to be what the burst of light symbolizes. I believe the red is intended to refer to Moria, and therefore it implies something about the Balrog.

The second poster has a green background, and most of the second movie's key action probably occurs in or near Rohan, whose emblem is a white horse on a green field. The serpent-like figure probably represents Saruman (the great betrayer of the West) and the light burst (larger than that on the poster) may reflect his defeat and the changing fortunes of the West.

The third poster has a dark blue background and that probably represents the darkest hour of the West, Sauron's siege of Minas Tirith and his cloud. It could also refer to Frodo's journey into Mordor itself. The ring shape seems to resemble the walls of Minas Tirith, and perhaps signifies the importance of Minas Tirith in the third movie.

And, of course, the light burst is even greater in the third poster.

Those are just guesses, but they are less esoteric than some of the other interpretations I've seen.
Old 11-11-2000, 01:12 PM   #7
anduin

FM.....As an artistic statement, Prince legally changed his name to this:

http://www.pyramax.demon.co.uk/GLIP.JPG

Granted this has been embellished a bit....

BTW, Fm in another thread asked about this.
Old 11-15-2000, 12:05 AM   #8
Film Hobbit

FYI: From what I understand these posters are not ever going to ACTUALLY be used for promotion, but are just test posters they were playing around with.
Old 11-27-2000, 06:51 PM   #9
IronParrot

Love the concept... still haven't totally grasped the symbolism, so I'll stick with MM's interpretation for the time being as a reference point.

From a design perspective, those posters are certainly very... striking.
Old 12-01-2000, 04:10 AM   #10
arynetrek

RE:

ooh. i'm going to have to stare at these for awhile. maybe i'll post my interpretations (after i figure them out)...

aryne *