Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Dwarves?

Did the Dwarves wear war masks? My brother just asked me; my intuitive response would be that they did in the First Age, but not necessarily later, but I'm really not sure about that. Anyone here know?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

I think what you're saying is basically right.

There were masks in the first age but, I don't think we hear too much about then in the later history.

I seem to recall that the masks were more like visors that were part of the helmet and could be lifted. I also believe they were described as frightening to look upon.

Turin wore a dwarf mask that was made by Telcher (same dwarf who made Narsil/Anduril)
Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Not sure if they were actually masks, or really frightening helmets. I tend to think the latter, since I reckon the Dwarves would prefer something solid and most likely metal as protection in battle. And I recall vaguely having read that the helmets helped protect the Dwarves from the Dragon-fire.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Mornorngûr
Hobbit

I've always pictured them as lookin like big trible masks, obviously made of Steel or some such metal. The descriptions of Túrin wearing one and the description of the Dwarves wearing them, led me to think this.
Just my personal image though, what do you think?

Then Sauron spake and said thou trall, the price thou askest is but small.

Last edited by Mornorngûr : 10-12-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Mornorngûr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Here is a passage from Unfinished Tales describing the Helm of Hador (also known as The Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin), the same helm worn by Turin:

Quote:
That helm was made of grey steel adorned with gold, and on it were graven runes of victory. A power was in it that guarded any who wore it from wound or death, for the sword that hewed it was broken, and the dart that smote it sprang aside. It had a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes), and the face of one that wore it struck fear into the hearts of all beholders, but was itself guarded from dart and fire. Upon its crest was set in defiance a gilded image of the head of Glaurung the dragon; for it had been made soon after he first issued from the gates of Morgoth.
This is a description of one dwarf helm but it may suggest features that carry through to others. The dragon crest would be unique to this helm. From a practical standpoint a full visor typically interferes with vision and breathing and in my estimation is likely to be hinged or somehow movable. I can't tell from the description above if it's a full visor or not but, I tend to think that they were.

I picture something similar looking to the helm found at Sutton Hoo ("Google it" if your not sure what I'm referring to). The find at Sutton Hoo would be of huge interest to any one interested in England's medieval history and living in the late 1930's (a key excavation date). It seems plausible that Tolkien's depiction of Dwarven helms would have been impacted by this archaeological find.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Mornorngûr
Hobbit

Sorry Wilhelm but that description that you quoted is from page 98 in UT, this part of the story is before Túrin ever goes to Nargothrond and finds the Dwarf mask.

What im saying is the Helm already has a visor, therefore the Dwarf mask could not have been a visor.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

I always thought of the the visor as the dwarven mask. I do not recall there being a mask that was acquired later - can you point me to the finding of the mask in UT?

As an aside I'm not sure how you could wear a mask in conjunction with a visored helmet. I would think one would get in the way of the other.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
I picture something similar looking to the helm found at Sutton Hoo ("Google it" if your not sure what I'm referring to). The find at Sutton Hoo would be of huge interest to any one interested in England's medieval history and living in the late 1930's (a key excavation date). It seems plausible that Tolkien's depiction of Dwarven helms would have been impacted by this archaeological find.
The Sutton Hoo helmet would fit rather well with the scandinavian influence Tolkien used for the Dwarves. But correct me if I'm wrong, the particular helmet does not have a moveable visor, right? For some reason, I imagined the visors on the Dwarf-helmets to be moveable, a bit more like medieval helmets, or possibly because most visors I've seen used in forges have been moveable as well. But a model like the helmet found in Sutton Hoo would fit more aesthetically indeed.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Wilhelm
Elven Warrior

Hi Eärniel,

I think you are correct. As far as I know the Sutton Hoo helmet does not have a movable visor. I also agree that the dwarven helms had movable visors.

When I started talking about the Sutton Hoo helmet I had said "something similar looking". I didn't mean to imply anything beyond appearance.

Another interesting aspect of the Sutton Hoo helmet is that it has a dragon head in the center of the forehead. Turin's helm was also adorned with a dragon.

Last edited by Wilhelm : 10-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
I think you are correct. As far as I know the Sutton Hoo helmet does not have a movable visor. I also agree that the dwarven helms had movable visors.

When I started talking about the Sutton Hoo helmet I had said "something similar looking". I didn't mean to imply anything beyond appearance.
Ah, excellent, then we're in agreement.

Quote:
Another interesting aspect of the Sutton Hoo helmet is that it has a dragon head in the center of the forehead. Turin's helm was also adorned with a dragon.
Interesting indeed. I hadn't noticed the similarity yet.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Mornorngûr
Hobbit

Did everyone miss my point?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
Earniel

If you will look up, I believe you will see that Wilhelm asked for clarification to understand what your point was about.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #13
Galin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
I always thought of the the visor as the dwarven mask. I do not recall there being a mask that was acquired later - can you point me to the finding of the mask in UT?
Túrin uses a dwarf-mask in the battle of Tumhalad, which idea was taken from a version of the tale which Tolkien wrote -- despite that he intended to incorporate the Dragon-helm here (and later). Christopher Tolkien explained this in the Appendix to the Narn in Unfinished Tales, for example, and elsewhere, and that Túrin (was supposed to) '... thrust up the visor and looked Glaurung in the eye'

Generally speaking, Christopher Tolkien did not incorporate his father's notes regarding the further history of the Helm into The Silmarillion or The Children of Húrin, as (I take it) the extended history was not fleshed out enough concerning actual narrative to work with.

I note that in Alan Lee's illustration, the figure of a dragon appears to adorn the helm. I think this is in accord with the description as worded in The Children of Húrin itself (as published), while other texts seem to describe (more specifically) the head of a dragon.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote