Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
tomlinson
Sapling

Middle earth?

we have middle earth in lord of the rings.do we also have a top earth and a bottom earth?
tomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlinson View Post
we have middle earth in lord of the rings.do we also have a top earth and a bottom earth?
Joke? Middle-Earth is simply an old term for the Earth, the World of Men, set between Heaven and Hell or between the Realms of the Gods and Giants

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Not an uncommon misconception for those initially hearing the term though - that's it's between two other things. Either something to the east and to the west - or to something above and below.

But tomlinson - Graymouser is correct, that JRRT derives the term from ancient usage - I believe 'Mid-Gard' or something.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Midgard is a realm in Norse mythology. Pictured as placed somewhere in the middle of Yggdrasil, Midgard is surrounded by a world of water, or ocean, that is impassable. The ocean is inhabited by the great sea serpent Jörmungandr (Miðgarðsormr), who is so huge that he encircles the world entirely, grasping his own tail.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midgard

"Midgard" is used in Norwegian, both in Norse mythology, and in the Norwegian translations of Tolkien's works.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Galin
Elven Warrior

From a letter...

'I have, I suppose, constructed an imaginary time, but kept my feet on my own mother-earth for place. I prefer that to the contemporary mode of seeking remote globes in 'space'. However curious, they are alien, and not lovable with the love of blood- kin. Middle-earth is (by the way & if such a note is necessary) not my own invention. It is a modernization or alteration (N[ew] E[nglish] D[ictionary] 'a perversion') of an old word for the inhabited world of Men, the Oikumene: middle because thought of vaguely as set amidst the encircling Seas and (in the northern- imagination) between ice of the North and the fire of the South. O. English Midden-Geard, mediaeval E. Middengerd, Middle-erd. Many reviewers seem to assume that Middle-earth is another planet! ' JRRT letter 211

There are other examples from Letters, but I like that one best
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
From a letter...

'I have, I suppose, constructed an imaginary time, but kept my feet on my own mother-earth for place. I prefer that to the contemporary mode of seeking remote globes in 'space'. However curious, they are alien, and not lovable with the love of blood- kin. Middle-earth is (by the way & if such a note is necessary) not my own invention. It is a modernization or alteration (N[ew] E[nglish] D[ictionary] 'a perversion') of an old word for the inhabited world of Men, the Oikumene: middle because thought of vaguely as set amidst the encircling Seas and (in the northern- imagination) between ice of the North and the fire of the South. O. English Midden-Geard, mediaeval E. Middengerd, Middle-erd. Many reviewers seem to assume that Middle-earth is another planet! ' JRRT letter 211

There are other examples from Letters, but I like that one best
Good letter quote. It's been awhile... I ought to read his letters again soon. I think I've only been all the way through them once, though I've re-read some. I'm currently doing a re-read of LOTR though.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
Mornorngûr
Hobbit

The common misconception that I most frequently see people making, is in thinking that Middle-Earth refers to the places mentioned in the books alone. Middle-Earth is enormous in size and extends far beyond regions east and south of those we ever hear much about, Cúivenien and Hildórien are some place briefly mentioned. Every single one of Tolkiens tales based in Middle-Earth were based in the North-Western region.

Then Sauron spake and said thou trall, the price thou askest is but small.
Mornorngûr is offline   Reply With Quote