Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #141
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Thought I should post this here as well as the teacup (as it will disappear into the ether).

Back story: my friend & I were both beatles-mad in high school, and posed with a beatles hanging for our 7th form photo (final year high school):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...les_7thFrm.jpg
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #142
Eilonwy
Hobbit

I think The Beatles are cute. My favourite song is Hard days night. Whats yours?
Eilonwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:05 PM   #143
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I wish I could be considered "cute" when Im like 80.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #144
Prince Myshkin
Elven Warrior

I've been on a White Album kick for like the last two weeks.

Dear Prudence is like my theme song.

Back in the U.S.S.R is like zany sidekick music.

And did you know that Piggies isn't really about pigs?

(P.S. I knew that I'm just kidding... Mostly)
Prince Myshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #145
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i love all three of those songs!
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #146
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

So I went to a Beatles Music Festival last weekend (Abbey Road On The River) and had an amazing time. I figured it would be interesting and youd be able to sing along to some songs you knew and it would be worth dragging the kids to but that in the end it would just basically be a bunch of guys dressed up in Beatles costumes catering to aging baby boomers with pony tails. Well boy was I impressed with the event! Some of these bands were fantastic in their delivery and their musical ability. They had a band dressed up JUST like the Beatles on their Sergent Pepper album, complete with ridiculous Liverpool accents and crazy witty banter with the audience. You had bands who clearly had spent ALL THEIR LIFE living the Beatles music and their delivery was just flawless. And seeing the international groups doing Beatles music was great. Gotta love Germans playing Help and trying to speak with a British accent for an American audience. And they explored all aspects of the Beatles including their post Beatles stuff. They had a band that was dedicated to the music of the Traveling Wilburys (heavy emphasis on George Harrison of course). Even crazy celebrity screw up Tom Sizemore apparently has his own band that plays somewhat metal takes on Beatles songs. Kind of Beatles meets Aerosmith which was interesting. They had lectures and a Pete Best appearance and even set an unofficial world record for most Beatles songs (in medley form) playing NON STOP without a break (214!!). It was impressive and went till 1 in the morning... Not sure how you practice that kind of thing but those guys never once missed a beat or a transition point! And I gotta tell you I NEVER realized how many songs the Beatles had that were at least fairly well known. I mean literally HUNDREDS. What other bands can say that? And I found I could sing along with the vast majority of them. I had no idea I knew so many songs word for word from one group!

So I was pleasantly surprised with the event. My dad used to play me Beatles songs when I was a child so maybe it tapped into something I hadnt really thought about in years. Who knows.

Anyway I know "tribute bands" get a bad rap. But if you get a chance to see an event like this, do it. I think youll find it quite enjoyable. It was more a celebration of the Beatles than a mimicry of them. A chance for Beatles fans to get together and have fun in a way that was much better than the usual "Trekie convention" style of handling these things usually. High praise to the organizers.

Edit: Check out http://www.ustream.tv/channel/abbey-...e-with-gretsch if you want to see some clips of the show.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 09-07-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #147
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Could someone inform me of the details of the "Paul is dead" controversy? I'm very intrigued...

By the way, my favorite Beatles song is "Something," with "Octopus' Garden" coming in second.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #148
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
I saw Paul in concert recently in Nashville, TN. He was in town for his Up and Coming tour. Needless to say he was amazing and He still has it
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #149
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Could someone inform me of the details of the "Paul is dead" controversy? I'm very intrigued...
Let me help you out there: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Paul+Is+Dead

That should answer all your pertinent questions.

Let me know if it helped!