Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Share your good finds!

I don't know if this thread will fly or not, but I thought since many of us have the same interests, that if one of us finds something cool that someone else might appreciate hearing about it. It could be something that you just got, or something that you want but don't have, or something just cool, or, in the spirit of Entmoot, WHATEVER!

And to start off, here is my ultra-cool I-want-it!!! thing:

A Variable Speed MP3 player!!!

I just totally lust after this little gizmo!!! You know how when you're trying to figure out a piece, and you have to play it over and over, and if it's fast it's just incredibly hard to figure out all the notes? Well, this little gizmo slows the piece down while keeping it at the same pitch! And you can set start/stop points to repeat a section over and over. AND it will raise or lower the key 6 steps if you want to do that, too! But it's the slow-down-while-keeping-same-pitch thing that is so wonderful, coupled with the play-this-section-over-and-over-until-I-get-it bit - I WANTS IT, PRECIOUS!!!!!

okay - anyone else?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
katya
Elven Maiden

That's really cool! Very handy for learning to play music. I have an mp3 player that will speed up when playing audio books, which is handy too. If it's just something for school or something I'm reviewing, I might want to get through it quick. Variable speed is a great idea all around.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

does it speed up while keeping the same pitch on the reader's voice?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
I have an mp3 player that will speed up when playing audio books, which is handy too.
That's a feature that I really miss in my mp3 player.

On my computer however, I can speed up both audio books and films without changing the pitch. You can watch a two-hour movie in 90 minutes
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Midge
Faithful Gardener

My husband doesn't really get into the forum stuff, but when he saw your post, Rian, he was like, "Wait!"

This stuff interests him. I am currently in the market for a nicer phone. I like my husband's Droid. We'll probably have to wait for November when the contract runs out.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
katya
Elven Maiden

Does it feel awesome saying "my husband" now?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

A must-have-and-read for book collectors:

Clothbound Penguin Classics

You can get them on amazon, ebay, or anthropologie.com...they are so pretty, so well-made, and very inexpensive! There are about 13 available right now, and a whole bunch more will be released this fall.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Another excellent collector's editions of classic literature is the Franklin Library. They are gorgeous.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya View Post
Does it feel awesome saying "my husband" now?
Oh, yes. Very yes.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote